• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Weekend

Bryce

there are enough guys on here that hype up the sioux. I know it's all in good fun, and we all share the same great love of hockey and fishing. Just giving you guys a hard time ;\) You are correct that the sioux played just well enough to take home three points for the weekend.

All I can say is that if the gophers can make the playoffs and these two teams meet, it will be an incredible game. And to think I thought last year's game was pretty pumped up...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• backstrap

• Team Otter

• DEADhead

• PierBridge

The fights are fights and the rough stuff went both ways. Both coaches were swearing at the officials but thankfully the 4 year old can't read lips.

The problem that I do have is he can see a WCHA coach give the ref "the finger" and then ask me why Mazoko keeps saying he is sorry. Hakstol is emotional but that was classless, no ifs ands or buts.

I have not seen for sure but some sites are saying Zajac and Lucia were DQ'd for fighting. Other penalties given but no other DQ's.

I was at the game and I'll guarantee Finley grabbed Wheeler for a reason. Wheeler is a hot head and a MORON! he two handed Chorney across the calves, so in the end Wheeler never did get his proper punishment.

Everything got out of control because in all the years I have been watching Adams ref he has never been able to call a consistent game in his career. He lets things get out of control and then he calls non existent penalties to make up for some other botched call so he can try to gain some control again. This time he lost control completely and unfortunately the Teams are the ones once again that will pay for Adam's mistake. The man should have been tossed from the league a long time ago.

As for the rest of the game it was great, both goalies had an amazing night. I saw more highlight real saves tonight than I have in a long time. Kangas is going to be a great goalie for the chokers.

In the end I agree with all of the foul words that both coaches had for Adam, he sucks!!!

I'm glad to see that the Gophers still have some fire in them at any rate regardless of how the season has gone. Another heated series with the Sioux is in the books, and I'm sure there will be many more. grin.gif

those fights were awesome!i am friends with joe finleys cousin and as soon as they went at it goin through the line i had to call him lol but he couldnt see it because he wasnt home.i dont know in some ways i agree with wheelers decision to go after him when who was it anderson?that was down on the ice but he was jsut protecting his team but the penalty was stupid so it kinda goes both ways for me

I was at the game, Finley and Bickel shared words back and forth on the bench when Peltier knocked down Trupp and started beating him up and then Sioux players got involved and Gophers got a PP, but did not succeed, like all series anyway. Oshie had players on his tail the whole game, he was a horse and some drew him down and penalties were not called except one time. Oshie and Pohl were the best players on the ice.

I give credit to the Sioux for getting into Gordons face after that flying hook fall, and wheeler comes in and gets involved then it becomes 4-4... Sioux's plan worked out well. Anderson gave Oshie a small knee at the end of the OT, Zajac went after him for a retialate. But that wasnt the main reason anyway, Anderson cross checked Oshie earlier so I dont know what caused the "retialate" to happen.

For wheeler and finley's indicent, Wheeler said something to him and then Finley went back and grabbed him out. All in All it was a fun game to be at last night. Can't beat the seats 7 rows behind the gophers bench and see whats happening between both teams. Im looking forward to the playoffs.

Another great series for the Sioux at Ralph Engelstad East arena. I don't care what the goofer fans are saying all the cheap stuff went both ways. I was at the game Sat. and Wheeler really cost the rodents a chance at a W in ot when he didn't keep his head enough to avoid a penalty.

Both coaches were verbally venting their frustrations and I will be the first to admit, Hakstol needs to keep his hands down.

All the extra curricular stuff aside, Sat. game was a fun and exciting game. Both goalies were spectacular and I think Mr Frazee better get himself a regular seat at Blarneys because Kangas is showing he is going to be a stud.

everything i've thought about saying has been stated already. except that my anger towards the officiating is directed towards shepard. you ever see any game get out of control like this one, he is no-doubt on the ice. i've seen that dumba$$ blow so many games, it's unbelievable to me that he's still that high on the totem pole. both of them clowns deserved to be cussed at.

I hope Wheeler got his arse chewed Saturday night - he didn't cost them the game, but he cost the Gophers a great chance at winning. 2:03 left in OT, a penalty on the Sioux, a whistle, and Wheeler gets off the ice and retaliates and gets a penalty. What a moron!!!! He blew an opportunity of a PP for the rest of OT. Not what you would expect from a leader.

Move over Frazee, Kangas is here to stay.

Putting the fighting and extra cirricular stuff aside...there was some great hockey played this weekend! That OT goal on Friday was pretty amazing. There may have been some luck involved, but those kinds of plays are still cool to see when they work.

If there was a limited amount of actual fighting allowed in this league things may actually not have gotten as out of hand as they did. Unfortunately fighting is not allowed and so the cheap shots go on and on until someone gets hurt and the game gets out of control. I have seen this happen many times in the WCHA, an inconsistent ref confuses the players and the players get frustrated. They begin to take it out on each other never knowing what will be called a penalty and what won't so almost anything goes. So, until the WCHA decides to start calling all the stick work and little penalties this will continue.

Originally Posted By: TwinkeeDink
everything i've thought about saying has been stated already. except that my anger towards the officiating is directed towards shepard. you ever see any game get out of control like this one, he is no-doubt on the ice. i've seen that dumba$$ blow so many games, it's unbelievable to me that he's still that high on the totem pole. both of them clowns deserved to be cussed at.

They should send Derek Shepard and Don Adam out to Hockey East. granted Todd Anderson and Marco Hunt are no slouches for second worst referees.

If the refs wouldn't of had there heads some where else, there should of been another person going off the ice with Wheeler. He was getting on the second guy that came in on the sitiuation. It was stupid of Wheeler, but the refs missed a lot of calls.

Next year the Goph's will be in 1st and the Sioux will be where the Goph's are right now.

Optimism is important,however the Sioux will be right where they always are, in the hunt for a WCHA and National title! As for the Gophers, let's just say they only have one way to go!

Originally Posted By: backstrap
Optimism is important,however the Sioux will be right where they always are, in the hunt for a WCHA and National title! As for the Gophers, let's just say they only have one way to go!

National title for the Sue...LOL... its been a while HEY!... grin.gif

This a big year for the Sue with all the Stars coming back and not turning pro if they don't win it this year it may be a LONG time before they win another if ever.

Lets face it as bad as the year has been for the Gophers which some of us predicted "ME" the play of the Susy this year has been a HUGE disappointment struggling almost every weakened.

As far as the cheap stuff lets not kid ourselves the Sue have written the book on Cheap dirty play in college hockey for a long time I think it has lot to do with the Canadian Jr hockey Goon mentality a lot of their players have grown up playing.

Go Gophs!

It's more than Canadian Juniors.

I know a guy who played at TriCity (USHL), in his first game the coach told him to get on the ice and not come off until he fought #?? from the other team.

He skated to the corner, grabbed the guy, dropped his gloves, and they began pounding one another.

It's all over - not just Canadian Juniors.

Typical whining rant from another bitter fan of the moron and gold!I don't believe it was stated that they are going to win the National title. It was stated, however that they will be "in the hunt" as they usually are. As far as ALL their stars returning and not going pro,check with the Chicago Blackhawks and get your facts straight! Struggling every weekend ( Not weakened )?? Your wrong again! I do believe UND to be unbeaten in their last 9. I'm sorry you are so "Hugely" disappointed in the Sioux, I myself am quite proud. Go Sioux!

Quote:
As far as your Gophers are concerned their defense should improved quickly next year

Huh??????????????????? grin.gif

If the Gophers don't make the playoffs, which is definitely possible, I'm going to cheer for Hockey East or someone else worth cheering for but certainly not the Slough, I mean Sioux. whistle.gif

Get off your soapboxes . . . true Gopher fans, along with Phoenix, have to be embarrassed how Wheeler acted this weekend, and don't forget Peltier's hits that didn't get called (he should have had a game DQ), and I really thought it was classy how Hubel (sp) started acting tough when Lucia came on the ice at the end of the game. The true difference between the Gophs and Sioux, is that the Sioux back up what they say or back up each other when someone takes a cheap shot at them. The almighty Gopher squad, from the coach down, wasn't free of misbehavior this weekend including cheat shops, cursing and instigating behavior.

I do agree Hakstol went above the call with the salute to Adam, but he let his emotions get the best of him, which surprised me. He manned up and it got taken care of. Time to move on.

Usually both teams are in it to the end, reloading instead of rebuilding. This year, UMtc is down. Who knows where each team will be in two years. That's what's so cool about college hockey. While I am not even close to a Gopher fan, I respect their program and what they have accomplished. Too bad good natured fun usually results in insults and belittling schools, players and fans.

Originally Posted By: Shorelunch
The true difference between the Gophs and Sioux, is that the Sioux back up what they say or back up each other when someone takes a cheap shot at them.

Isn't backing up teammates precisely what got Wheeler in trouble? He was heading out to "help" a teammate that was getting cheaped, totally abusurd, but that's what his thinking was.

Rodent fans are finally seeing what it has been like to be a Sioux fan. Expectations are high every year and when there is a RARE down year you don't know what to do so you look for the littlest things to rip into the rival who just took 3 of 4 points for the weekend and 5 of 8 points for the year. The rodent fans on here sure are coming off like a bunch of middle children who can do nothing but whine and complain as big brother gets all the success and recognition.

Do I think the Sioux play dirty and classless? No I don't. Do I think they play hard and a little over aggressive and try to get under the other teams skin? Yup, and it worked this weekend.

Originally Posted By: Team Otter
If the Gophers don't make the playoffs, which is definitely possible, I'm going to cheer for Hockey East or someone else worth cheering for but certainly not the Slough, I mean Sioux. whistle.gif

As a sioux fan this is good to hear, I mean I would never cheer for the rodents and I expect the same from Minny fans. The good news is at least it's looking like you won't have to worry about UND ending UM season again this year. grin.gif

I'll start by saying that I am first and foremost a Gopher fan.

Let's not kid ourselves, cheap shots, fighting, cursing, etc. occurs all the time with all the teams. Right or wrong, it's part of hockey.

As Hakstol is concerned, he was wrong and admits it. I think he is a class act. My wife and I were riding down an elevator at the X, and Hakstol was on it. He initiated a conversation with us, and he seemed like a genuine nice guy - it helped my wife was wearing a Sioux sweatshirt.

Bottom line: If the Gophers are out of it - I'm pulling for ND. They have good teams, coaches, and fans (and my wife is one of them - she does likewise for the Gophers - it keeps the peace).

At fridays game there was a Sioux fan in front of me. We bantered back and forth during the game - nothing personal or degrading. At the end of the game we shook hands and wished each other luck on Saturday. Just plain fun - what college hockey should be about.

I take the good with the bad. No skin (or fur) off my back. I just like to watch hockey and would prefer that the Gophers are winning.

New member here, interesting reading on the great sport of college hockey. Great weekend for the Mighty Fighting Sioux, taking 3 points out of enemy territory. Looks like they are putting themselves in a great position to make a run in the final 5 as well as the national tourney.

Also a pretty typical weekend with a lot of whining on the side of the gophers. It was a pretty heated weekend, with lots of good hockey, but when did the MN gophers turn in to such a bunch of whiners? The officials were not great, typically never are, espically Adams. There were good and bad calls both ways. Some swear words and the finger? I've seen worse at work today! Woog had to sit out a game a few years back for the finger, which I didn't agree with even then. Some scraps at the end of the game? Big deal. It's hockey. Think kids are getting the wrong idea about hockey? Put them in soccer.