• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Spearing, Understanding Why?

MSRiverdog

getting flamed and/or poofed and I'm not trying to inflamatory or being a troll. I don't understand why someone dangles a minnow or decoy and then spears a fish. Why not have a hook on the bait and entice the fish that way, watching that Northern swimming down there is realy cool. I was brought up in an anti spearing family and was told spearing was for meat hunters. Question 2, How many folks go out and spear every day and have more than their limit in their freezer? I'll sit back and listen now, sorry if I got you mad, that wasn't the intent.

getting flamed and/or poofed and I'm not trying to inflamatory or being a troll. I don't understand why someone dangles a minnow or decoy and then spears a fish. Why not have a hook on the bait and entice the fish that way, watching that Northern swimming down there is realy cool. I was brought up in an anti spearing family and was told spearing was for meat hunters. Question 2, How many folks go out and spear every day and have more than their limit in their freezer? I'll sit back and listen now, sorry if I got you mad, that wasn't the intent.

I posted this on the ice fishing forum and spearman sent me over here.

It the thrill of being out there, its not any different than those that dangle a hook down there and keep the fish. People that spear dont spear every fish that comes by. Its selective harvest.

I no longer spear though for the reason that you speak of. It was fun but im more of a catch and release person. I speared a 14 lb pike last winter and got it up and was really excited. Took some pictures and then i was like i wish this fish was down there for someone else to enjoy. Even though it tasted great. That is all my opinion.

Its difficult to go out and spear a limit everytime you go out especially if you are doing what a lot of spear fisherman do which is selective harvest. Last year when i was out i speared 3 northers all season and was out there every weekend. I speared that big one and two more smaller notherns for pickling. Its nothing different than when people go out to fish and take 3 northerns, 20 sunfish, 5 perch, and 3 walleyes and go out the next day and do the same thing, aren't they out for meat?

Im not mad and this is a debate that spear fisherman have to face all the time by people who dont understand and don't participate in the sport.

I don't understand what "at the risk of" implies.

I am a spearfisherman. Have been since I fished with my Grandfather, and Great Uncle. I very much enjoy spearing. Yesterday I fished, and speared two pike. Some days I fish for fish to eat, some days I fish for the tranquility of watching and take none. Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would want to take the chance of a fish getting it's gills ripped out by a trebble hook, then swimming off. (I'm not anti angling, I do this as well, it's just meant to illustrate another point of view.) I don't understand why anyone would want to spend their sunday watching tv, or going to a figure skating competition. There are a lot of things I don't understand. Many things I don't understand I have experienced and do not care to do them again, I just have no interest in them. I would encourage anyone who has never experienced the "art" of spearfishing to take the time to experience it, not to prove that it is fun, or not fun, but just to have the experience. No taking of fish is necessary. Opinions are better made from personal experiences than that of obtaining the opinions of our peers. I would not discourage those in contact with me not to do something I don't beleive in without having the experience to form their own opinion. Of course this is my opinion. I would not like to see the day that everyone liked the same thing, we would be very crowded at that point!

I spear, try to go 2 times a week. I have 0 northerns "in the freezer". You have choises if you want to drop that spear or not. I go because of all the things that can be seen that can't you can't thought a 8" hole. Its cool to watch how fish react to different things.

I don't spear anymore but would if giving the time and opportunity. You really should not bash anybody for what they like to do. I know meat hunters that are anglers and they take way more fish than anybody that spears. Different strokes for different folks. To each there own.

I LOVE spearing because it gets my heart racing and my adrenaline pumping. There is nothing better then watching a nice northern fly into the hole and nail your decoy! I never take more then I need and I love pickeled northern! Thats why I dangle a decoy down a spear hole.

Originally Posted By: MSRiverdog
Question 2, How many folks go out and spear every day and have more than their limit in their freezer?...

Ask yourself the same question about angling, why do people always ask this question about spearers? Since spearers make up less than 1% of the fishing licenses sold in MN, the answer is going to be a lot less than the number of anglers who have fish in the freezer.

As for the catch and release aspect you alluded to, with spearing you never have to lay a hand on any fish that you don't intend to eat. You just let them swim by with no catch and release needed.

Well i can tell you this, i dont believe you really understand that sport from the comments that you have made.

There is alot of people that spear to enjoy the fact of being able to watch fish all day long in there enviorment that they live in. You have to understand that there is people that go out and never throw a spear. I myself, can care less how many fish i spear, i just do it becuase its been a tradition that has been passed down to me from my father.

Second, spearing is a sport that alot of people for one dont even understand it. I myself on the other hand, try to get more and more people out spearing so they can tell someone and that person can tell someone and so on. So for you to say that spear's are out the take as much meat home as they want, is hard for me to swallow.

There is alot of people out there that enjoy this sport, and i feel that its a sport that helps people understand what its like in the lake.

I speared with my father in law many years ago before he passed away. I learned a lot about a lot of things with him. The experience of spearing is hard to explain. First the decoy then the minnow in the harness. Then you didnt even notice the fish swim in to check out your minnow because they are almost invisible in the water. Then you have to grab the spear, lead the fish, get the minnow out of the way and throw all in a second or two. I dont do it anymore because it is harder to chain saw the holes and it usually requires a perm house and an extra license but it is pretty cool.

Bass n Spear, my intent was to listen, sorry if I worded my questions wrong as to give the impression of accuasation. I've seen in a number of places about folks that "appeared to go every day and limit out every day" I can understand sitting there watching fish go buy a lot more than watching a bobber next to a candle, the way I was introduced to ice fishing. I can only make assumptions on what I've been taught or seen first hand, that's why I asked the questions. It never dawned on me in my years to sit in a dark house and watch fish go by. I still contend that ice belongs in a glass surrounded by Scotch, but thats me. I'm still here to listen and appreciate the responses.

Non-spearers perspective, if your looking for meat, much easier to get them on a line. I haven't ever thrown a spear, my grandfather used to do it when I was a wee lad, too small to actually throw a spear myself. I remember watching the fish pretty well, certainly more memorable than my earliest ice fishing experiences (i do remember chipping ice around holes with the pokers on the old stick rods pretty well!)

I think the notion that folks are spearing up all these pike and putting them in the freezer is funny at best. Personally, I'd be more concerned about folks going out with their flashers and hammering the panfish, taking home a bucketful each time out.

I think one reason folks get anti-spearing is from the simple truth that when you loose a speared fish, it is quite likely going to be dead, especially with the blood and all. If you hog up a crappie on a line, at least you can tell yourself it will be OK when it half heartedly swims away \:\( .

LB

when you lose a speared fish?

What about all the walleyes that are dead in Mille Lacs becuase of the slot limit when people are releasing them?

Making assumptions is why this sport gets a bad name

I have experienced (through an 8" hole) what spearers see, cause I sight fish for pike a lot, and I can definately see why it is so much fun to do.

The reason I personally got something against spearing cause it seems spearers tend to "select" for the largest fish they can. I know this isn't all spearers, but from what I have seen (pictures) on websites, newspapers, and on the lake, it seems most have a definate tendency for taking large fish. It was a cool story and nice thing to hear though from the spearing forum how a guy passed on a big pike.

With angling pike have the option to open there mouths, with spearing it is up to the angler, and I hope spearers will start tending towards the numerous smaller fish in lakes rather than the big gators I currently feel they target too often.

It seems weird to me people get so furious over large muskies that get killed, but not so much large northerns, considering I would say it takes at least as much skill if not more, especially in MN.

Also I would highly recomend reading the info posted in the spearing forum, titled something like "Why our Pike are so Valuable."

Watching what goes on below the surface through a spear hole is a blast. But now that it's legal to fish out of a spear hole, I'd much rather angle out of a spear house than go in with a spear in hand. Not saying that throwing a spear and hitting your target isn't a challenge. But it's more challenging and more rewarding to get them to eat your offering, in my opinion.

This question can be asked for both spearers and anglers, but why would a person choose to take a 34" pike when you could take a 24"? Is it strictly because it's "more meat"? There's not much that's more enjoyable than fishing for pike when you have a good number of big fish in the system. But the future of our pike fisheries definitely concern me when I see the large numbers of 24" to 36" fish being harvested on a regular basis. These are the most valuable pike in our lakes and rivers.

Aaron

I have always thought spearing was like bowhunting. When the monment of truth presents itself are you going to take the shot or not? It is up to the person in the present situation to decide what is right.

I have not speared for years but I was taught by my grandfather who would have speard anythng that swam through the hole because that is what he feed his family with. I can go to the supermarket to feed mine but the tradition should still renmain.

Take what you know will not affect the fishery, 2-3 lb.

I believe in taking fish out of the lake, to make sure that it dont get over populated, there is no doubt about that.

Its just hard for me to talk to people that have never been out there and dont understand it, when there talking about how bad the sport is.

Please dont comment if your going to say things that are assumptions, becuase at the end of the day, its not going to help it at all. I understand that you werent trying to make anyone mad.

Spearing, in my experience, can be the most awesome and boring experience of your life. Just like hook and line, you have to know what you are doing and where. There is no difference to catching a fish and deciding to release it, or seeing a fish and deciding to spear it. There is nothing easy about it. It is a skill and I wish I followed my grandfathers steps more in practicing it!

Is spearing not more of a sport than tip up fishing?

If I were a meat fisherman I would choose a 2 tip ups over a spear any day.

I have yet to hear someone talk about tip up fishermen the way they talk about spearers.

Just because you can't see what is happening below the ice does not mean that the fish is not going though a violent time while being angled. To think that it is peaches and cream for a fish to bite down on a single or treble hook and have it set by a man 10 to 20 times their weight is crazy. The fact is that a fish being hooked is the equivalent of a person getting hooked by an automobile. To top it off the fish is hauled up and out of the water into the suffocating air freezing it's gills while the angler pulls the hook from their mouth. Just to release them back to the water where they have a 96% chance at surviving.

I will leave all this talk to the PETA people, because the fact of the mater is, they know if they can get us to fight amongst ourselves it is the quickest way for them to ban fishing all together.

What we really need to work on is coming together as a community of fishermen that believes in the longevity of the lakes and fish no mater what method you choose to harvest fish. The limits are there for anglers and spearers and everyone needs to follow the same rules when it comes to harvesting fish. There are the 1%ers out there that do not play by the rules. That applies to the anglers and the spearers. That is why we have game wardens to enforce the laws and forums such as this one to teach people how to make sure there is some thing for future generations.

Just my 2 sense

Originally Posted By: fishcast

With angling pike have the option to open there mouths, with spearing it is up to the angler, and I hope spearers will start tending towards the numerous smaller fish in lakes rather than the big gators I currently feel they target too often.

Most of the northerns I have speared have hit my live decoy.

The difference is I chose not to put hooks in my live decoy.

Even though the northern took "the option to open its mouth" there were no hooks in the decoy, leaving me the spearer the option to throw the spear or not.

Originally Posted By: MSRiverdog
Question 2, How many folks go out and spear every day and have more than their limit in their freezer

I would expect it to be the same percentage as the anglers that have more than their limit in the freezer.

I would also expect it to be the same percentage as the hunters who have last years venison in their freezer and still go out hunting the next year.

A poacher is a poacher plain and simple.

Please don’t put me in that group just because I choose to harvest fish with a spear.

It is the person who poaches; not the spear, fishing rod, or gun.

For what it's worth:

Personally in general, I don't understand why anyone would freeze fish. We live in Minnesota the land of 10,000 lakes if you take more than you can eat in the near future you are taking too many, and if you are throwing away freezer burnt fish then there is no question that you are taking too many.

Not to go against you merkman but some people freeze fish cause you cant take eyes or pike during certain parts of the year and some ppl love there fish. I guess i dont have a problem if the person has maybe 10-15 pike frozen pike in the freezer ready to be eaten during the off season of fishing. If they eat them thats good, but if like you said they toss them out, then thats not cool.

"Question 2, How many folks go out and spear every day and have more than their limit in their freezer? "

I do not how spearing got the reputation of being so easy that you can go out everyday and spear your limit. With spearing is alot harder to set up, move, and cover more than 1 area than it is for tip up fisherman or somebody that doesnt even put a line down just looks with a vex and moves on. I think every one who has a poor attitude towards spearing should be made to cut a hole through 2 feet of ice and sit there and watch all day. The experience would change a lot of minds. I dont know how bad attitudes or assumptions can made with out knowledge.

It is kind of hard to grasp the addiction if you haven't been in a darkhouse. It's a rush to entice fish in and draw them into to range to spear. I practice very selective harvest and try to get out 2-3 times per week. The lake I spear on is full of stunted pike and I do my best to select the snakers and take them out. I give the free pass to anything in the 28-40" range. Being an avid muskie fisherman, this is the closet thing to a follow that I can get in the winter and it hold me over till open water. These bigger fish are just too valuable to cull out of the lakes. Pike in the freezer=0. If I do happen to get them I either clean and fry them that night, or give them to an buddy that flat out loves fresh fish. It's a great sport that many like to bash or critize without fully knowning what it's about.

I think most posters have hit the nail on the head. To sum it up, spearers "TAKE" what they intend to harvest. They "WATCH" what they do not intend to harvest. If they do reach their daily limit, they quit for the day. At that point, total fish handled... 3.

I've seen tip-up fisherman have 10 fish days apiece. Total fish handled 10...(per angler) total survivng even if all are released... no one will ever know. I've seen my share of bleeding pike released back in the lake after 3 minutes of pictures and being dropped once or twice as it is handed from angler to angler to pose with it, in well below freezing temps and during the dog days of summer.... They feel they are the better sportsman... why? Because the fish is back in the water? Even with that said, I truley believe in catch and release when angling. I also believe in selective harvest when angling and spearing. One thing I do not participate in is fishing for the sake of fishing. How many times do you hear of guys going to Red Lake or Mille Lacs to catch 100 fish in a day just to say they caught that many fish. They brag how they were all released... but how were they handled and how many actually survived. They are no easier on the resource than a spearer choosing to harvest a few pike and letting the rest swim unmolested. And something that has already been aluded to... it ain't a gimme. It takes a lot more work and trial and error to become proficient at spearing than to set a tip-up or to chuck a plug...

MSriverdog,

why don't you tag along with one of the fellow spearers here on the forum and see what it is all about and form a true opinion? I know opinions passed down through a family or usually pretty solidified, but You may find that you enjoy it and come to understand why we are passionate about our sport!

Good Luck!

Ken

Originally Posted By: mrklean
Not to go against you merkman but some people freeze fish cause you cant take eyes or pike during certain parts of the year and some ppl love there fish. I guess i dont have a problem if the person has maybe 10-15 pike frozen pike in the freezer ready to be eaten during the off season of fishing. If they eat them thats good, but if like you said they toss them out, then thats not cool.

You may not have a problem with this, but it is illegal to have 10-15 pike in the freezer unless you have 4 to 5 people in the household with fishing licenses.