• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1-28-08 report

I ended up getting a day off work today and decided to hit the ice. The bite was actually better than I had expected. I ended up with a 17", 18", and a super fat 20" walleye as well as a number of small perch. All of these fish were caught between 1:00 and 2:30 this afternoon. A Northland Buckshot spoon tipped with a few waxies and jigged aggresively did the trick. All of the walleyes were very aggresive and hammered the spoon. Glow was an absolute must, even during the daytime. These fish came off the bottom edge of a small sunken island in 26 feet of water over a sandy bottom. Hole hopping was the key. One hole produced absolutely nothing, while another 20 feet away produced all of the walleyes. The ice conditions were good, with the average thickness being around 19".

I talked to one of my neighbors after I got off the ice today and he said he caught a 30" walleye this morning. It was caught on a deadstick line tipped with a fathead in 19 feet of water. He was pretty excited about it even though he wasn't able to get a picture of it because he didn't have a camera with. Yet another reason why I always have one with me!

Great report. I usually bring a digital camera with but I also lug a disposable camera along for the same reason. Learned my lesson on a big walleye 'bout 4 or 5 years ago.