• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Brittany or English

ChrisT

I know this is apples to apples here but, I was wondering what your oppinions are. I am looking to get a spaniel mainly for a family dog and occasional hunting. I have owned labs and goldens and would like a dog somewhat smaller. Thanks, Chris

I guess it is going to depend mostly on which style of hunting you prefer, pointer or flusher?

Also if it is a smaller dog that you want, don't rule out english cocker spaniels.

Well you could get a smaller lab.

My 2 run a whopping 50lbs and 59 lbs.

But I guess it is just personal experience if your getting a Brittney they want to hunt all the time and need to be out running alot. Just a thought.

I appreciate the information guys. For my family the most important thing is going to be #1 good family dog, #2 not a monster, the last golden we owned weighed 100 lbs and he was trim, #3 someone who would be a good hunting companion for me. As far as pointer-flusher it does not matter to me as long as they can find birds.

Chris

Ever thought of Red Setters? Both females of mine are absolutely fantastic in the house and are great pointing dogs. Check out the add in the puppy section.

I've had Springers my entire life and won't have another breed for the rest of my life. I've also been around Britney's. Both are good family dogs in my opinion. I prefer hunting behind Springers as I'm not a big pointer guy myself. I don't think you could wrong with either of them.

Jbdragon,I did see your ad, unfortunatly I can't afford the asking price, but they seem like great dogs. I know I need to be patient when it comes to finding the right dog, but my oldest boy keeps asking when are we going to get a puppy daddy? Keeping my eyes open. Chris

I prefer brittanys, just my personal choice. I have 10 brittanys and would be happy to show them to you if you would like to come down and meet them. I have 4 kids under 7 years old, so I do understand the concept of a family dog.

[email protected]

Ben

I can also attest to Ben's Brittanys. We just got one this fall from Ben and she is super smart and a real good family pet. She is still a little hyper with my 7 year old but she is just a pup and starting to settle down nicely.

So far I would recommend this breed to anyone. The main reasons I chose a Brittany are,

1. I really enjoy watching a dog point

2. My favorite hunting is grouse and I think a closer working pointer gives me the best chance at them.

3. I used to have a cocker and got sick of dealing with the ear issues which you will usually have on a cocker or a springer

4. I am hoping mt Brittany will have a little less hair and shedding than a spaniel.

5. I wanted to get my dog from a proven reputable breeder and I had heard a ton of good things about Ben's dogs, but I didn't know any breeders of cockers or springers.

I am sure if you pick the right breeder that you will be happy with your dog no matter what you pick. These are just my reasons but yours might be completely different.

ChrisT~

Best dog EVER ~ for me ~ Chet my springer spaniel. He was a smaller spaniel, with shorter hair. There are two distinct springers out there ~ Big 'show' dogs with bad hips and smaller field dogs. Choose a field dog!

Old Chet ~ He could hunt hard all weekend and the next cuddle up to the kids. He could be mellow but loved our times in the field.

I have friends with Brits and they can be a handful ~ hyper and needy. Some cannot retrieve a bird because they are too small.

Bonus~ Chet was great on ducks too! Who knew? (There used to be ducks in Minnesota!)

I actually clicked on the forum today to begin my search for Chet II. Go Springer!

One more vote for a Britt. I have always had Britts, and IMO there is not a better dog out there. Great in the field, fantastic with kids, and very loving.

Brittanys like any other breed can have good & bad quality dogs. That is why a person needs to research breeders and pick the one you feel most comfortable with. To say Brittanys are hyper & needy based on a couple of dogs really isn't fair. Most "hyper" hunting dogs are not getting enough exercise. Most needy dogs have been intimated, (by someone trying to train them) to the point that they are scared to do anything with out direction from the alpha person. As far as not being big enough to retrieve, the breed standard for a Brittany and a Springer are very similar. They are roughly the same height, Springers can run 5 to 10 pounds heavier, and a Springers body is generally longer. None of which will affect ability to retrieve. I would agree that a Springer is a way more natural retriever, but a Brittany can also be a very dependable retriever if you get the right blood and do the proper work to awaken the instinct.

This is just my 2 cents. I do however have extensive experience with Brittanys.

Ben

Go with the brittany, pointers are better only because a lab guy had to ask if you concidered a lab.

Kentuck_ike, The needy part of your post makes litle sense to me, could you explain better? Is it like the way a Lab needs constant attention when people are around. Or is it a dog that seems skiddish twards strangers? To me a dog that has been abused ( Phisical or Mentally) would be concidered skiddish not needy.

CW

That's a good question, I am not sure what Ron was getting at either. I assumed he was getting at a dog that stays on his masters heals & wasn't independent. I didn't say abused, and didn't mean to imply it if I did. What I was getting at is a dog that is scared to think for himself. This dog will usally stay under its masters feet, and will be concentrating on his master instead of finding birds. Needing constant direction and unable to relax without it. Cw I would agree that an abused dog is usally shy or skiddish. If Ron was getting at the constant attention point of view, I can see that, but this along with intelligence can make a very trainable dog, so I didn't even consider that as a negative. I hope I explained things better if not I will try again.

Ben

Guys.

No need to get all worked up here. Nobody is saying you don't have great dogs.

Just like you said different breeds and different lines within those breeds have different qualities.

I was just stating from my personal experience about the Brittneys of some of my family and friends have had. They were excellent hunters in the field and very energetic happy dogs.

Going to the original point of the post of him wanting a dog to hunt occasionally but but be a just family dog first. I think that Britts need to hunt more than that. I have not ever met any of your dogs Ben and would love to.

All dogs have diffent qualities there is no reason getting in a mines better than yours kind of discussion because it is pointless. Just agree that everyone has there preferences and opinions.

I can't even begin to describe how helpful you all have been, And entertaining as well. I particularly look at this discussion like Chevy, Ford, Dodge. I think from what I have gathered is that it all starts with breeding. If your mom and dad are both doctors chances are you are going to have a leg up in the intelegence department. I think it is the same way with dogs. If you have two dogs that are great with the family as well as great hunters you have a very good start with life. I have decided to put a deposit down on Ben's next litter. I am very much looking forward to a great expreience with who seems to be a stand up guy. Thanks Ben. Chris

My Britt is getting up there in years, and as soon as I can get the wife to agree, I will be calling Ben also to get a companion for my ageing friend.

Another vote for Brit. Had a springer growing up. Both dogs can have lots of energy. But watching them point is great. Mine just turned 1 and couldn't have asked more from him than I got for his first hunting season.

Originally Posted By: ChrisT
I can't even begin to describe how helpful you all have been, And entertaining as well. I particularly look at this discussion like Chevy, Ford, Dodge. I think from what I have gathered is that it all starts with breeding. If your mom and dad are both doctors chances are you are going to have a leg up in the intelegence department. I think it is the same way with dogs. If you have two dogs that are great with the family as well as great hunters you have a very good start with life. I have decided to put a deposit down on Ben's next litter. I am very much looking forward to a great expreience with who seems to be a stand up guy. Thanks Ben. Chris

I don't think there is any way possible that you will be disapointed! I researched dogs and breeders for 2 years before I decided on one of Ben's pups. So far I am very happy. Ben is a great guy to deal with.

Do you know which 2 dogs yours will be out of? Mine is from Ike and Babe.

One more vote for britts. I'm biased because I've been around them my whole life and now own two 13 year old britts and a 7 month old setter.

I respect everyone's opinions and just love bird dogs in general. I've just had really good experiences with them being tremendous bird dogs and great family dogs.

Keep us informed on the pup you choose. I've spoke with Ben from Ben's Brittanys over the phone. Seems like a great guy. Love the roan patterned brittanys he has. Good luck!

my 2 cents. for what you want i 'd get a springer from a good breeder. i own a couple of deutsch drahthaars.

Hey Guys!

Add me to the Brittany club. I'm new too the breed though. I've had labs and shorthairs prior to my new 11 week old Brittany! A few years back I moved to the northwoods, and now almost exclusively hunt grouse. I was looking for a small pointing dog that would also be a good companion. I am very excited at the opportunitty to hunt behind another pointer. My personal opinion from the hunting side is that a pointer will enable further success in the woods due the the heavy cover up here. Something about watching your dog lock up on a bird too! My lab must of had some pointing in him as he often instinctively pointed birds, but wasn't really something I worked with him on. He was a stellar hunting dog, and saddens me that both hips have gone out, and his hunting will only be in his dreams now. The things that factored into my choice on moving into the Britts besides the natural pointing instinct would also be the hunting stamina and size. My lab was a BIG BOY! Boy it has been a while since I've trained a hunting dog. I am by no means a professional trainer. In past dogs I've opted to obedience train; Sit, Stay, Come, Heel with just some simple wing finding for fun when they are young. Any general thoughts or advise out there for someone a new to the breed on direction for training my pup.

Thanks Guys!

By the way we are laying the wood to the Eyes up here!

RD

Springer. I am on my 4th and i have 5 kids. they are house dogs first and hunters second. My 3rd one hunts well till you shoot something, then he is not so good. Partly since i rescued him from an abusive owner at 2 years old and he has become a wonderful family dog. Just bought my 4th and she is only 4 months old and is all ready retrieving any and everything.

My little Brittany "Bailey Rocks" is now 12 weeks old and is pointing like a champ! Pretty impressive for that little girl. I've got a wing attached to some fishing line at the end of my rod, and she will hold point for ever! How exciting! I may need to rename her the "Grouse Eliminator"

RD

I have to agree with the Springer. You know, I picked up my first Springer about 5 months ago - he's going on 8 months - 34 pound, likes to play, sits on my feet, likes to still sit on my lap some times. He's a lot of fun - a little cautious around new things, but fun.

But then I took him out for his first training session - with a bunch of trial guys. Good gravy - it was like a switch was flipped. It was great working with the guys to get him to quarter and then see him bring back a clipped wing. It was like it was another dog.

To me, it's the best of both worlds - I have a nice family house dog that is fun - and now, from what it looks like, a great hunting companion that has a lot of "hunt" in him.

Good luck in your search.

How do you hunt?

I used to work with labs and a big line of guys running and gunning. That worked well with flushing dogs. I broke away from that crew and ended up with a Brit. Now I hunt with one or maybe two other guys. It's sort of like going for a walk and waiting for the beeper to go off and then moving over to work the bird.

The first Brit was a total mistake. A trainer called me up after a week and told me he wouldn't waste his time and my money. That dog went back to the breeder.

Second Brit has been just a great dog, both in the field and in the house. Small enough to not be a hassle in the house, but big enough to bring me back anything that flies that I have shot.

Just got the third Brit Sept.1 This dog seems to be a great problem solver when playing around the house with #2. If a ball goes under a chair #3 will go around the back of the chair to see if it went all the way. We even taught him to ring a bell when he has to go outside to take care of business. I just put a small bell by the back door and we'd ring it every time we let him out. After a couple of weeks it took and now I can be nearly anyplace in the house and when he has to go he lets me know.

I guess my advice is to read a couple books about each breed you consider and once you focus on one start to look around for a breeder. My experience in shopping for #3 was that it was sort of like shopping for carpet. You don't know what you're going to get cause everyone selling a dog is selling the best dog ever born. So talk to guys you find who have the breed you want and work back to that breeder - you need recommendations from owners. For example, either this Ben guy has a lot of relatives writing him up or he seems to have good dogs.

Before you get the dog learn a bit about the training thing. I've read this forum for quite a while and I can't believe what some people expect of their dog.

Good luck.

Springer vote for me. I grew up with one as a child, and I can't tell you how great that dog was with kids. I just got my first about six months ago from pine shadows. So far she is great!!