• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Mazatlan Deep sea/El salto bass

smnduck

I and my wife are going to Mazatlan in late March. I plan on doing some light tackle sea fishing but would really like to also go to El Salto bass fishing for a day trip. Any comments ,good or bad,from experience would be great.

hey SMNduck; I've done quite a bit of offshore fishing in Mazatlan, we'll be there the week of Feb. 16-23 this year. I reallly haven't done much light tackle...did take a rod and threw some Krocs last time down, with no luck (pacific surf can be pretty rough by the rocks). There were a few guys soaking bait, but it looked pretty tame. I've thought about El Salto, looked into it last time (year before last) and as I remember all I found was an overnight thing that was kind of pricey and I didn't want to burn 2 days. Maybe I'll do some surfing and see what I can find, now that you've brought it up! I'll let you know if I do.

Smnduck; just an update. I did some online searching a came up with squat as far as day trips to El Salto; everything was multi-day packages just like last time I checked a couple years ago. But I checked with a friend who has some good MX fishing connections and he put me in touch with a guy that arranges trips down at a different MX lake. He's checking with the ElSalto folks about day trips and thinks it's doable, he'll get back to me in a couple days. I'll keep you posted if anything good comes of it.

Smnduck....I will be going down to Mazatlan the 2nd week of March. For El Salto there is a very reputable day trip service out of Mazatlan where they pick you up early in the morning at your hotel and drop you off in the evening. The cost is 395 for a single, or if you have two or they are able to partner with someone the whole boat is 550 so for two that would be 275 apiece.

Good luck....Brian

( Note from admin,please read forum policy before posting again,Thank-you. )

Hey Doc; thanks for the link, funny it didn't come up when i searched. i just might try them. Have you used them yourself? Did you/do you need to bring your own gear/lures? thanks.

traveler......I am using them in early March but have never been to Mazatlan before.....several people who go there recommeded them to me....plus I believe they are the only service which does the day trips. They rent you all your gear and tackle but it is 75 bucks a day....pretty steep.

Thanks for the great info. It looks like a day trip might in the cards for El Salto. Keep the info comin in. Maybe there should be a forum board for mexico/gulf/caribean fishing trips and options for people from up here when they go on there winter trips south of the boarder.

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the aboved mentioned service and it sounds like a go. I Think I will try and bring some gear down with me. I have found some 2 piece rods that will fit in my check in bag. Bait casters for me and spin casts for my wife. She is also pumped to battle a hawg bass. I even talked her into some saltwater fishing also. 7 days down there with at least 3 of them fishing!

smnduck, if you go out in the salt, avoid the boats/charters in the old marina downtown. El Cid marina is the better of the 2, Aires fleet is about the best to be had in Mazatlan. I'm not going to do the El Salto thing, too much $$ this time around, sigh... let us know how you do! ps heres the latest report for Maz offshore...MAZATLAN, MEXICO: Larry Edwards of Cortez Yacht Charters reported on 13 Aries Fleet offshore charter boats fishing out of Mazatlan's Marina El Cid, with a catch including released fish of: 8 striped marlin, and 1 yellowfin tuna. Six inshore super pangas had a catch of: 5 totos, 8 baquetas, 6 pargo, 8 triggerfish, 4 conejos, 18 loras, and 3 lenguas. "Cold water continues to make the fishing difficult at Mazatlan," Edwards said. "The boats were searching far and wide for fish. However, there was some light at the end of the tunnel as the boat Aries III reported a 5-marlin release day." Mazatlan fishing area weather was in the low-80s, with water temperatures at 64 degrees inshore and 67 degrees offshore. All billfish were hooked on rigged baits.

Not too good right now, but conditions change week by week.

I will be going in a couple of weeks so maybe it will be turned on then. I have not checked the moon phase for the area yet but I know that plays a huge factor on the fish bite.

SMNduck; I thought I read you were going late march; my moon phase calculator says full moon (or near it) on the 20th of march, 1/2 moon on the 30th, so I'd go as late in the month as possible. Although I've done well on full moons too, go figure. I think i'll post the link to the moon phase calculator for anybody who wants it...

I have had my best fishing hands down at the El Cid marina. I fished the Aries fleet and never did very well at all and I thought the boats out of El Cid were much nicer and newer. Stay away from the street vendors as many will take your money and there may not be a day of fishing. Been there and done that.

Harvey, the Aires fleet IS the fleet in the El Cid Marina. I've fished with them there a dozen times. Maybe you're mixing Aires up with another fleet? They number thier boats Aires,1,2,3,etc...I think they had 8 last time I was there.

Have a great trip. I plan on going back next winter. When your there, if you like sea food, check out the Shrimp factory in the gold zone. As I said, stay away from the street vendors selling fishing trips as they are there to take your money and the next morning they are gone. I know as I got rip off by one. Good deal for the night but no fishing the next day.

Your are correct traveler. There is another fleet at the other end of mazatlan and that is the one I would not go too. Aires or El Cid Marina is very good.

Harvey, I did fish out of the old marina once, years ago. The boat was old, slow, and the diesel fumes about gagged me! I'm a huge shrimp fan, Maz is the best for them, thats the thing I look forward to most. No fishing this time around though:(

I'd like to have a look at the mangrove fishing thing. Where did you find it? I did read somewhere else that one of the fleets (Bibi possibly) offered something like that but the poster who tried it said he wouldn't do it again, but didn't elaborate. We leave in the am...

Have a great time fishing traveler. I wish I was down there now fighting a sail or stripped marlin.

thanks harvey, if i end up getting out. Hoping smnduck sees this tonite and keys me in on where he saw the mangrove fishing. if not, I'll snoop around down there anyway.

Just got back from Mexico last week, weather was awesome!! I really wanted to get out and fish, but I've done the deep see thing before and I really would like to fish the flats, but time was limited and when the sun hits a guy, I just wanted to relax and enjoy. Heading down to San Antonio in April to do some big bass fishing- Most exited to do that.

Guys,

I'm headed to Mazatlan on the 25th with my wife and another couple. I want to try the deep sea thing for the first time and am wondering if you can give me some tips beyond what I've read in this thread?

How much are we likely to spend for a trip? Do you recommend a half or a whole day, or do we even have a choice.

What should we bring on the trip - dramamine, food, drink? Are we going to catch anything we would want to keep and cook, or is this strictly catch and release?

I do a bit of fishing on my own but haven't gone on a guided trip for 40+ years when dad took us out on MilleLacs with Joe Fellegy.

Any info you can offer will be appreciated.

Tom Weyandt

[email protected]

Which coast were you on menomax? Pacific side rules for bluewater, but no flats fishing. I've never been on the carribean side, but thats where all the flats action is. One of these years...

Traveler--Carribean: Cancun. I was in Jamaica in October and tried to hook up with some locals to do some fishing, but they are so laid back that I was a little concerned about going out.

Tom -- If your not used to the movement I would take some type of anti motion sickess drugs. The fishing is really good right now. In Cancun there were some guys that went out had plenty of action. Make sure that the captain catches his own bait with you. Do the whole day thing, that way you have a better chance for some action. As far as cost goes, I spent about 500 for the day for my wife and I. Good luck.

Hey Tom; Mazatlan is a fun town, and cheaper than most mexican destinations. Great beaches, not so hot snorkling, water will be chilly too. There are 3 marinas there, avoid the old marina downtown; likewise, avoid the timeshare deal charters if offered. Usually a good idea to book in advance, but if you check in the day you get there you'll likely find an opening later in the week this time of year. The Aires fleet at the El Cid Marina is the best in town, about 500/day. Do a full day; if the bite is far out (which it often is), you need the time. Bibi fleet and Pro team are also supposed to be good, but I haven't fished them and would stick with Aires. Most of my Maz fishing has been late feb-early March; catch is usually striped marlin ( 1 per boat/per day is doing well) There are usually a few (sometimes a lot) of smaller tuna around, sometimes some dorado if a push of warm water has come through. You can keep tuna/dorado, most restaraunts will cook for you; sometimes I'll freeze some up and bring it home. Brink bland food/drink if you're worried about your stomach,fruit juice works good for me, easy on the liquor; try the scopolomine patch or dramamine for seasickness. Some people swear by ginger too. Hat, sunsceen for sure. No bug dope. The crew won't speak much english (or speak much at all probably), but smile, have a positive attitude, and stay engaged in the fishing as the day wears on. i've caught marlin right at the end of the day more than once after 4 or 5 hours of fruitless trolling. Marlin are a great fish; please release any billfish you're fortunate enough to hook. Mexican crews are notorious for trying to sell taxidermy mounts under the guise of "the feesh is bleeding, it wll not live senor" [PoorWordUsage]...let it go if YOU think it has a chance. Let them know right up front thats your intention, and don't let them kill it on the cockpit floor trying to get thier stinking 50 cent hook back. (Yeah, happened to me once.) That about covers it I think. Have a great time, and good luck with the marlin!

traveler hit the nail on the head. I know the Marlin I caught on my last trip the guys on the boat killed the marlin I caught. I think they put their hand all the way down their throat and ripped the inside of the fish to pieces. I told them to release any fish I caught but they still killed it.

I was not real happy with them and told the guys at the marina what they did. No tip that day for the boat as I figure what they sold the fish for was enough of a tip.

PERFECT Harvey. I just wish more folks would do that. problem is, 90% of thier clients are first time/vacation fishers, add to that the language barrier, and they can pretty much do what they want. Like many poorer countries, they see the immediate $$ from the quick sale of the fish or commision from the taxidermist, but fail to see the potential damage to the fishery that is thier livelihood and legacy. Big pelagics around the world are in various stages of decline, and while the striper stocks in that region are in reasonably good shape, it's a never ending battle against the longliners and the powers that be in Mexico city to protect the marine enviroment down there. Every US sportsman that travels down there needs to be educated, and encouraged, to do what they can to help.