Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason Boser

fishing report on winnie

7 posts in this topic

The cold weather definitely firmed things up on Big Winnie and several of the area lakes. Ice thickness has increased and the there are several area accessible by plowed roads in many areas of the big lake. Highbanks Resort, McArdle's, Nodak's, and The Pines Resort on the N/E of Winnie have been maintaining roads, providing access to the lake. The fishing has been okay this last week, and the perch bite seems to be the most consistent. Small spoons like the Forage Minnow and 2-3 wax worms are having the best success. The rock humps located about one mile off the North Shore have been pretty good of late, with the edges in 20-25 feet being the best. There have been some bonus walleyes available at last light, but for the most part they have been scattered. The crappie fishing in Big Cutfoot has been slow, but with warmer weather coming the bite should improve. Small baits like Hornets and small Jiggle bugs with a waxie or 2-3 euro larvae seem to be working better than minnows. Go as light as possible and keep a watchful eye on your electronics. Don't forget to attend up coming sport shows in your area and contact me at http://www.mnfishingpros.com to inquire about guide trips for the 2008 season.

Tom Neustrom

A buddy and I hit the east side of Winnie today from about 11 am to 3:30 pm. We tried 2 different spots, one a hump and the other was a shore line break. On the hump we caught 4 gators (tip ups w/ smelt), 3 being in the 3-7 lb range, a few small perch, and one 'eye. We went to spot #2 and landed on the mother load of perch. With some sorting we ended up with a dozen nice perch 9"-10" range and a bonus 'eye 16.75". 20-25 fow seemed to be best. I was having the best luck on a demon spoon and minnow head. I wish we could have stayed out for till dark, but as usual work gets in the way.

Brian

Where do most people target crappies on big cutfoot and what access do most people use? I fish walleyes on opener on Big Wini out of the Four Seasons Resort but we don't often make it all the way over to the Gap and Big Cutfoot. Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Most people use the public access by the Williams Narrows USFS campground. Williams Narrows Resort is right next door to the campground. You would have to go up Hwy 46 out of Deer River and turn left onto the Bowens/Williams Narrows Road. Just before you get to the resort, take a left, go a little ways, then take a right to the landing. Anywhere out front of the landing and all the way down to the left has crappie potential.

Brian

About 6 of us fished out of Highbanks saturday from 8 till just after dark. We were in about 15-17 fow. Ended up with about 20 nice perch and 2 eyes, one 15 the other 16 1/2 and threw back a 20. Pretty consistant bit of small ones all day keeping us occupied. We mainly used small buckshots and forage minnows with minnows and waxies.

Anyone try mccavity bay for crappies? Also have anyone been to little cut foot to try for bluegills

The crappies and gills I caught in Little Cutfoot were running small this year, too small to keep. I haven't heard anything about Mcavity Bay, but they catch 'em throughout that area during the winter every year.

Brian