Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David Kasten

Where to Walleyes

9 posts in this topic

I do a lot of fishing in the area and do really well on crappies and pan fish but where do i go to catch walleyes?

I don't know where your from, but lake mille lacs has some great big fat walleyes, trouble is getting them to bite. lots of great action on the camera, but very few takers. This lake will also produce some big pig like perch. Those taste as good as the walleyes do, but just my opinion. Cant go wrong with a day on mille lacs.

If you are familiar with the Chisago Lakes chain you can stumble across some walleyes. Many others on the boards will know more than me, but you can catch them on N/S Center, Chisago, and Green. You have to have a bit a patience around there though because they are not going to be biting fast and furious.

I have had or heard of guys having some success this year on green. Around Lindberg's point and the deep (34') hole are two good places to start.

u can try rush lake mayb alot of pressure but go away from crowds. my co worker lived on lake he had caught alot of nice ones 7-10 lbs. jus need to find them. shallow, weeds if any, deephole, bars, dropoff. et cetera. will go out this sat for some eyes.

My buddys grandparents live on the lake and i do quite a bit of fishing up there with them i cant count how many times i have said i will never fish it again. Dont get me wrong its a good lake but it seems like everybody and there neighbor fishes it. We did pretty good last weekend on south end of the west side. Dan i used to fish green a couple times a week over the past few years but its getting harder and harder to get into keeper crappies. Which of the two centers (north and south) are better?

I hear ya. I hate when your spot starts gettin people around and quick! Like flys on.... trash. I tell ya what though, I think (on a big body like Rush) all those groups that are so thick with people seem to send alot of fish to those good spots that don't have anyone around...but me. ;\) There are spots that I would "never fish" that I now find myself checking just because any of my target spots are now a small city on the ice. What I find is suprising usualy, and I fish there. So many breaks, and spots to target on East, and West Rush. I go in just assuming that all the fish have been pushed away from those "cities" and I have to choose from the remaining portions of the lake to look for them, and it works.

west rush is a great lake, the "spots" are almost unlimited with the structure that this lake has. The guy above me is right on, move away from those crowds, and be willing to be mobile. big lake and if they are not right under you, no point in waiting for them to find you, look at the lake and target a different area. This is a high pressure lake, but if you move away from the little cities, the fishing can be great, but when isn't fishin great? good luck!!

I personally like Big Sandy Lake just East and North of Mille Lacs on Highway 65. They have been getting lots and lots of nice catches of "Old Marble Eyes" up there this year. Take a look at the McGregor/Aitkin Forum.

Tight Lines!

UncleKes

I've been hitting a few eyes out on Forest Lake. They're getting really slow right now but I'm hoping the bite will pick up in a few weeks. It's tough to find a quiet spot where they will hit the bait but I've had the best luck at around 15 feet close to deeper water. They mainly hit small bait like a glow jig with a crappie minnow but they have hit on rainbow chubs as well.