Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daveluke

New to Ice Fishing, Burntside

2 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm heading up to Burntside on Feb. 8th for the weekend and want to do some ice fishing. I'm staying on the south shore of the lake just south of waters and oliver islands.

I'm new to ice fishing so any (basic) advice for this lake (bait, times of day) would be great. I'm equipped with only a hand auger and some skis so I'm keeping it simple and cheap for now. I see all the laker action but I'm not sure if I'm equipped for that with my walleye rod?

Thanks for any advice. I've fished Burntside many times in a canoe but I'm hoping to for a good ice fishing experience to get me hooked!

Dave

Dave, take a look at a map and check out the shores closest to you on Waters and Oliver. Deep water comes in close there, and people frequently do well just out from the south shore of Oliver, including the southeast corner of Oliver and around the corner, in 35 to 60 FOW.

Another option is to just ski your way east a small distance and fish the south shore of Van Vac Bay in the vicinity of the public landing. Folks who aren't mobile and are limited to walking in winter fish that stretch in 40 to 60 FOW and do well.

Your walleye gear will be fine for the average Bside laker, but just make sure your drag is good and you are patient if you're using light gear.

Typical walleye jigging spoons and such work well on Burntside.