Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Almquist

Burntside on Sunday

5 posts in this topic

There was a lot of people who attended the bash but had to leave Sunday. It was too bad because today's fishing for me was the best all weekend. From the time I dropped my jigging rap down and was setting the gain I had one come and grab it but I missed it so I started jigging again and got him to bite and had him on for a little and he was gone. For about a 90 minutes there was constant action with fish on the flasher chasing ,swatting ,bumping and even biting. I only got one but it was still so much fun. I really have to thank Hanson,Dtro and DaChise for letting me, Lisa and Casoloma tag along. The temp were great so you could sit outside and fish with no gloves on and see everybody working the lakers up and down and even a curse word or two when one was lost but it was just a blast. Here is a pic of a nice one that Hanson iced.

IMG_2270pp.jpg

DOH!!

I knew I should've come out today. Last year my best fishing was on sunday too. Oh well.

I'm glad to hear that you and Lisa got into some fish today. The chase is almost as fun as catching one of those wiley lakers.

Nice fish Hanson!!

Well, I spent most of the day fishing about half a mile away but within sight of dtro, Hanson, da chise, jmalm, Lisa and Cas (until they left the spot they started the day on) and couldn't get a single fish to go. I saw five fish and they were all suggish.

Really glad you guys had a great Sunday! grin.gifgrin.gif

Here's a shot of a friend who pulled in about 10 a.m. and fished about 30 feet from me most of the rest of the day. He didn't even see a fish. Sigh.

ryan.jpg

Steve-

That photo ROCKS! (Its a Cat too!)

You definitely have an eye for capturing the moment. I just wish that was me kicked back on my Cat ZR that you photo'd, suitable for framing of course. grin.gif

I get so caught up in photographing the "fish" that I forget about the other important things that tell the story. That photo seams to scream Laker fishing, in a laid back kind of way. ;\)

Yepper, laid back and low tech all the way (except for the Vex). This young Finnlander rarely brings a shelter when he laker fishes and never drills power auger holes. He knows a bunch of spots that produce and when he's tired of one spot he straps his gear to the sled and revs er up and moves.

He also walks alone into the wilderness with nothing but a tow sled in winter and spends days at a time winter camping and fishing.

Nice to see that in the middle of all the techie stuff we love now, the old ways aren't dead.

On a side note, he's always wanted a Polaris (who wouldn't?) but all he could afford at the time was a used Cat. Joke. Sled brands are like on-ice electronics, augers and shelters. You buy what you can and as long as it works well, it's a good tool. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Chris, I watched you guys through my binocs from time to time and could hear you shouting now and then. I was planning to unhook the shelter and zip over on the sled to see how you were doing and take some pics, but every time I thought to do it I was afraid I might actually catch my first fish of the day. Should have driven over and brought a rod to fish with you guys, obviously. grin.gifgrin.gif

Today, which I spent resting after my first good night's sleep in three days, could also have been phenomenal. With the 37-degree temps and barometer plunging in anticipation of the coming storm, they probably were snapping. I've had some excellent laker action in those conditions. But man I was beat after all that buildup and the whole weekend.