Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spazzums08

Any Tips On Marion?

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys, looking for a few quick tips and tricks before I head out there this afternoon. If you don't want the whole site to know, I'd appreciate it if you still PMed me. Thanks guys!

My tip would be go someplace else. \:\)

I've tried this lake a number of times on the ice over the past couple of years, including twice in the past two weeks, with one 8" walleye to show for it (& lots of small pannies & suicidal bullheads). Must be something I don't get - there's plenty of houses out there, & I've had good luck in the summer. Just not my lake on hard-water, I guess.

Hey Spazzums08 wats ur email address? I'll email you some tips that I found have worked.

I havent heard anyone getting much out there after the first few weeks of the season. I used to fish Marion all winter but the past 5 or 6 years everyone seems to end up getting nothing but tiny sunnies after the first few weeks of ice season. Can you say too much pressure.

If i get there at all this year I will avoid the masses of houses because they will all tell you they arent getting anything but tiny sunnies.

I think I might head out there this wednesday if anyone can point me in a good direction.

When you heading out there Wednesday? Maybe I'll take you to a spot that used to hold a few eye's and crappies. Its really the only place on the lake I'll even consider.

Crappiefisher, my email's spazzums@live.com

Thanks for the help!

my friend has a perm out there and early in the season we would catch about 15 crappies a night but that was when no other perms were out on the point now that the ice is thicker people ahve movied over there nad the pressure ahs slowed them down, havent picked up any eyes over 10 though they all seem to be consistantly small

Not only is the pressure amazing, the people are, forgive me, ruder than any lake I've been to on the metro. On both trips I have set up in the middle of nowhere, trying to escape the crowds, with no one within 100 yards (at least) of my portable. Both times some ingrate has driven up & parked within 20 feet of my tip-up (first night) or portable (second night). The second guy stomped, scraped snow, slammed doors, dropped equipment, & did everything but drop a grenade in the water between 5 - 5:30.

Of course, last year there was the guy who gave me a Newcastle. So perhaps I generalize. He was a good guy. \:\)

That's to bad their is alot of other choices in the land of ten thousand lakes, like Quetico says-so many lakes so little time- I would probably try a different one, less hassel!...WM

My problem with Marion has always been the snowmobiles. I cant count the number of times my portable has been sprayed by snow coming of them.

Between the crazy people, poor fishing and better lakes near by I stopped fishing it years ago. But I will always have the one spot on there I would consider fishing if all else fails.

Hey Quetico, looks like we're neighbors from your location. I gather from your handle you like canoe country? Don't want to hijack this important thread but wander up to the canoe forum if you haven't already.

I wasn't able to make it on wednesday, got called into work. I am hoping to head out sometime next week though.

Borg- if you want I can show you a few of my old haunts. We can take an evening next week and try a few of them. My buddies and I fished the lake a fair amount in jr high and in high school the size dropped off while the pressure increased. I havent fished it since I started college years ago.

Let me know a night and we'll meet at Antlers park landing.