Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ragenald

Auger Maintenance

10 posts in this topic

Hey all: I am located in Owatonna and I am looking for someone to sharpen my auger blades and do some general maintenance on it. I have had my Jiffy for eight years and it has worked great. I am afraid, if I do the work myself, I will just screw it up. Thanks! Jim

Al's Shop in Janesville does small engine work, but I don't know about blade sharpening. What does it need? There isn't much maintenance to them if they are running good.

Check out your options in the Sponsor Showcase forum.

Mankee's in Owatonna does maintance, don't know about sharpening.

I dropped mine off at Reel Fishing and Tackle, they have a guy that works on them, he fixed my recoil, then he took the time to make sure it ran ok and readjusted the idle for me, had no idea It needed that, but know it runs better than ever and starts even easier, I dont know about the blade sharpening, most people just buy replacements.

You can buy blades that have been resharpend but I have not had any luck with them. It is really a drag when you get to the lake and the blades do not work.

With the price of gas these days it is probably best to buy new rather than waste a trip to the lake and a trip back into town.

i never get my blades redone.i just buy a new set.

Some of the older Jiffys had non-removable blades if I am not mistaken, so you can't buy new blades.

I have one of the non-replaceable blade jiffys and been just touching it up by hand for years. Those have soft steel but seem to cut fine & sharpening them isn't a percision grinding process like a hand auger.

Also, you can pick up a whole new 10" auger bottom(with blade) for under $100, if yours runs and you don't want to put out the money for a new one.

Be careful with business names that are non-sponsor businesses on a post like this. I'd rather see non-sponsor business names exchanged via e-mail or telephone. Thank you.