Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kyle Sandberg

Maple Lake Derby?

10 posts in this topic

Did anyone attended this derby. I drove by there on my way to go fishing and there were a ton of people out there. My buddie went to it. He didn't catch anything but said a 12lb northern won it. WOW!

With a couple hundred lines down someones gotta catch a nice fish!!

i heard the person that won the fish house was about 15. won it with a 1 lbs northern.

Originally Posted By: fishersofmen
With a couple hundred lines down someones gotta catch a nice fish!!

That's what I figured with 10,000 lines in Gull Lake!

a good way to find a fish fry.

Was out there, what a zoo! Biggest fish was 12.8 pound northern, the one that won the house was a 1.3 pound northern, 33rd from the largest. Had fun though.

how about the auger races? Did anybody watch those or participate?

Dragon - only 5 people entered the hole drilling contest! My uncle's buddy won it using a skrikemaster 4 stroke. He was 8 seconds faster than 2nd place.

For the competition you had to pick your auger up off the ice, start it, drill 3 holes, and then lay the auger back down.

I was out there with some buddies... good times. We didn't catch anything but had fun nonetheless. Pretty good turnout - had to well over a 1,000 people. Only 5 people entered the auger comp... I was 5 minutes too late in registering for it. We did a time trial back at basecamp and I punched 3 holes in 25 seconds and the winner was 42 seconds I think. New gas auger was up for grabs too! We saw lots of fish on the camera but none of the biting variety. A pound and a half northern won the fish house but I'm not sure if it was the actual 33rd largest or the smallest if 33 were not registered. All in all a great time to be on the ice - would definitely do it again.

I fished the Derby. First time I fished this one. I caught a 1.585 northern which placed 32nd. One place off the grand prize. I did win a prize. An Ice Scooper. It was a good time. Nice to see a kid win the fish house.