Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fly651

Driving conditions on Green in Chisago???

10 posts in this topic

Just wondering if people are driving on Green??? I like to fish the middle of the lake if anyone has been out there. Thanks.

I haven't been out there for a week or so now but when i was out there people driving all over the lake, even watched two drunk guys race about a mile back to the access.

I was there on Sunday and people were driving everywhere. I was in the SW area and had 20+" of ice.

Was also out on sunday, was fishing on big just outside of little. The ice was VERY thick, I'm going to need an extension soon! But to answer your question there were several cars/trucks driving across the middle and everywhere on the lake.

where are they getting onto Green lake to get over by the narrows?

There's a public access on Little Green and Big Green. I would not drive in-between the two lakes....so drive out on the lake you inted to fish. There's an access on the northeast side of Little Green and the one for Big Green is on the East side of the lake off county road 23.

FL, When I drove by there on Saturday it looked like passing through the narrows has been made impossible for the average vehicle. It looked like a nice ice heave right there sticking up a couple feet above the rest of the ice. There were kids out there with their parents climbing on it. There were plenty vehicles driving on the ice though.

If I weren't bringing my little boy home, I would have drove out there and tried to remind them of what happened to the little girl on Christmas eve of 06. She was climbing on similar ice chunks when one cracked and crushed her. Please if you are bringing kids out there, it may look like fun to climb the ice, but don't take the risk as it could cost you and your family dearly, and that is the last thing any of us want to see.

That's a great reminder polar, its so easy for accidents to happen, always double think about what your doing, it doesn't take much time to just step back and think about it quick. Thats what i tell my buddy when we go in these sub zero temps., you know when everything just breaks, he rolls his eyes at me but understands..

Yes, the pressure ridge is a good 2-3 feet above the level ice. even if the ice ridge wasn't there it's still unsafe to drive a vehicle over, the ice is alot weaker due to the slight current. wouldn't worry about it this late in the season, but good point polar. I was dinkin around the ridge last time out there and the its atleast 6 inches thick, that would tickle a bit if it fell on you...

Be careful driving on Green because I remember a few years ago the ice was around 18-24 inches, but some spots were thin and almost open water. And you know the reason why the ice was dangerous thin in some spots, the big school of HUGE carps huddling together close to the surface. Good luck yalls and be safe.