• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

contest results?

On second thought, it could be a little more costly than just one ATV. There would be plenty of people that would want to stay put while the person behind them would want to move up for the better prize...meaning they'd have to cough up the extra cash on those as well. Glad I'm not involved in that one!

Aaron

The 2 prize thing does sound like a mess. Last year I had 3 fish in the top 100 of the Big Jig ice contest. I'm not sure how the prizes are handed out, but I took 42nd with my second biggest fish because they said it was a more valuable prize. I thought that seemed a little weird.

This year was my first year fishing the Extravaganza. We just picked some deep water adjacent to the edge. My brother picked up a little walleye right away and I managed a small walleye and perch. My perch was .20 lbs and obviously missed the money. I fished pretty hard during the whole event and marked 6 fish.

I wish I knew more about the situation. I am a little surprised that someone from the contest hasn't posted details of this situation. I hate to speculate without knowing the facts about the results. Maybe someone from the Jaycees could post a reply to clarify things. Hopefully there wasn't an error with the prizes.

Jason Erlandson

Same guy placed 43rd and 100th. Word is he purchased two tickets but according to the rules should only be able to "place" with one fish. (the largest) Thus he would get his prize for #43 and lose the boat he won at #100. I hope the Jaycees make this right for anyone who got the shaft.

When I left the contest I left not using the path to shore instead I walked from one end of the contest to the entrance. While walking a guy on a four wheeler asked if I was done for the day ( still an hour left in the contest)and I said yes I was done. He said I had to give him my fishing tag because they dont allow people to leave with them. I didnt think anything about it until after I left and saw all the people on the bus with their tags and I have never given mine up in the past. I wonder what that was all about. I filled out the registration and gave it back to the bait shop so that ticket should have been registered as me. So is this guy legit or did he start fishing the contest with my pass?

I have never heard of something like that either. That would be funny, if the guy did fish as you, or even took it to look around! Did he have any id or credentials? wow!

You left an hour early?

If you look at the rules it says that you need to be there the duration of the contest but since the Jaycees are reasonable people they aren't going to force you to stay against your will. That said, I can understand why an official would ask to keep your tag if you leave early. What's to stop you from leaving, going to an adjacent lake like Round or North Long, catching something, and coming back to the contest site. It sounds far-fetched, but don't forget the cheating debacle that happened at the Forest Lake tourney several years ago!

As for this one....what amazes me is that there were hundreds of people reading and waiting the leaderboard for the final results. How did nobody see that one?

It does explain why the 100th place winner said, "I don't even know what I won" when told he took 100th place. Perhaps he should have spoken up if he knew his name was on the board twice. It's a goofy situation.

Oh, and as for the $7 hamburgers...those aren't sold by the Jaycees but by local organizations as a fundraiser. It's nothing but a charitable event. Take any of the profits to buy extra prizes and you are taking from the kids and adults who go to the Confidence Learning Center every summer. Would you really feel good about yourself if you did that?

Let's keep it all in perspective!

Good points WriteOutdoors! I hadn't thought of the leaving and coming back with a fish part...

Also, with the food and beverages, like you said, it is a fundraiser! I don't like to pay $3.50 for a little box of Girl Scout Cookies or $25 for a raffle ticket at a bar, but it's to help out organizations like these!

I received an email from the jaycees in response to one I had sent questioning the results with one contestant at #43 and #100. It was stated that it was an error on their part but would not be changed and is official. The contestant received one prize. (didn't say which one but I'm assuming it's the boat) The error would have had the contestant placing 43rd as he could only place for his biggest fish. 100th place on would have been affected.

If that is the case, and I was the guy who ended up in 101 and got the shaft, I'd be lawyering up right now. The guy should get the prize for 43rd, the guy at 101 and everyone after him should have the option to trade up if they want. Oh, and the guy at 151 should be pretty [PoorWordUsage]'d too.

Ah cripes - its all for charity. Can't ya just relax - thats whats wrong with the world today...everyones first words - LAWYER UP.

This makes a guy sick.

Lunger,

I believe that is correct. I think the jaycees do a wonderful job on this event. I will continue to attend but part of me thinks that maybe they should try and make it right for those people that it may have affected as many people traveled a long way and spent a lot of money for a small chance at a big prize. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: tisosy11
Ah cripes - its all for charity. Can't ya just relax - thats whats wrong with the world today...everyones first words - LAWYER UP.

This makes a guy sick.

For the record, I agree that we are an overly litigious society right now. However, if you are legally entitled to something, and it is not being handled properly, then legal representation is the only way to set things right. It's a lot different that a frivolous lawsuit if your coffee is to hot or someones sidewalk is slippery right after the snowstorm, IMO.

I know it's all for charity, but they still have to make things right. If you were sitting at 101st right now, and they were giving the other guy the boat, even though the rules state that he should not get it, I have a funny feeling that you would feel differently. Maybe I am wrong and you are actually that noble.

I know if it was me, and I was rightfully entitled to that boat, or if I was in 102nd and getting a fish finder instead of the wheeler, I would expect the organization to make it right.

I attend this yearly, and I will continue to, but the Jaycees have an obligation to award the prizes to those that deserve them.

On another note, the participant in question should man up and do the right thing, get his Aqua vu that he is rightfully entitled to, and allow the boat to go where it belongs.

Even charitable contests have to make sure the rules are followed and do the right thing.

Just my opinion.

At least they have it figured out! I think they should make some small changes, so weird things are even less likely to happen, but I'm sure they won't. Things like 1 winner per ticket, or, limit each person to one ticket. I've thought of some strange scenarios, if the wrong person had intentions to cheat. They never check an ID, so if a person was to buy two tickets, from different locations, they could use different names and still collect two prizes.

Hopefully the Jaycees 2009 contest will be bigger and better than ever!

Nobody ever commented, how is the pre-contest get together/party?

They didn't even ask if I had a fishing license...

How is the general atmosphere up in the brainerd area day before the contest?

Originally Posted By: havefunlightenup
Nobody ever commented, how is the pre-contest get together/party?

I went to the kick off party this year. Honestly, I wasn't really impressed, especially for $20. Yes, it goes to a great cause, but all that was there were some additional raffles, some food, and some beer tastings. I was hoping to meet some pros and tackle vendors. But, just my opinion.

I hope to bring a large group up next year. That way we can do a little gathering out on Pelican Friday afternoon/night and pre-warm the engines!

I bet the guy that got 101st or 102nd, and 151st have no idea what happened. Thats not right that he got the 100th place prize and not the 43rd or whatever it was.