Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ikatcher

contest results?

50 posts in this topic

wasn't able to go this year. how did it go?

Thanks for posting. Looks like good fishing to me.

wow...the prizes for that tourny are great! getting a shelter for a .5lb walleye is a great deal!

The extravaganze was a blast - the jaycees do a brilliant job!!

Looks like alot of eyes were caught, awesome to see that. congrats to the winners. thinking i might make the long jaunt over next year!!

I have a question about the tournament results. I noticed on the results page that Trevor Birdsall, who caught the 100th place fish and won the Glastron boat, is also listed as having the 43rd largest fish, a .80 rock bass. According to the rule #4:

"4. Each person will be allowed to fish one hole per ticket, two holes maximum. You may register as many fish as you want, but only the heaviest fish per contestant will qualify for a competition prize. No contestant will be eligible for more than one competition prize. There is no age requirement on tournament participation."

A person is not eligible to win twice. Unless by incredible coincidence there are two Trevor Birdsalls living in the little town of Princeton, and if I'm interpreting the rules of the contest correctly, shouldn't he be ineligible to win the boat? If anyone can clarify I would appreciate it.

Could be a Trevor Jr.,fishing with dad? I don't know. All I know is my name isn't on that list after fishing the contest yesterday.I think I know this guy,or at least I used to know his dad.If it is a mistake/oversight I am pretty sure the Jaycees will take care of it.

Originally Posted By: rockman
Could be a Trevor Jr.,fishing with dad? I don't know. All I know is my name isn't on that list after fishing the contest yesterday.I think I know this guy,or at least I used to know his dad.If it is a mistake/oversight I am pretty sure the Jaycees will take care of it.

Nope, his dad is Rick from Elk River. (Who apparently finished #35 from the looks of the results.)

And the Star Tribune today says he is 26 years old, so if it's his own son he would be likely be pretty young.

Yep,I kinda thought it was the same guy.I won't say how, but I knew his dad,Rick,from years ago.I couldn't remember how old Trevor was.I haven't talked to them for a very long time.Well, the Jaycees better investigate this situation to make it right.

I didnt catch anything this year, no suprise, but one guy next to me was in 99th place at least thats what he said with like 2 minutes left in the tourny.

I did not fish because of a sinus infection but my next door neighbor said he was fishing pretty close to the guys who finished 1 and 2... He said they were in pretty deep water... around 60 ft... Does not surprise me given the time of the day...

I was really surprised at the number of walleyes caught this year.... The weather conditions could not have been much better...Several days of stable weather with warming..light winds and temp in the low 20's... Pretty nice... If it would have been the previous weekend it would have been absolutely terrible....

I wonder what the count is on the number of entries? My guess is over 12,000.... Great event!!!!

Way to go Jaycees!!!!

Originally Posted By: JConrad

I wonder what the count is on the number of entries? My guess is over 12,000.... Great event!!!!

Way to go Jaycees!!!!

I'm hearing from a secondry source, but I heard that they didn't quite make it to 10,000. I'm sure the Dispatch will mention the total Monday.

if trevor had bought 2 tickets he would be able to claim 2 prizes, right? otherwise it is like you said 1 prize per ticket from what I understand.

Originally Posted By: frogtosser
if trevor had bought 2 tickets he would be able to claim 2 prizes, right? otherwise it is like you said 1 prize per ticket from what I understand.

I don't know. The rules say one prize per contestant, not one prize per ticket. If anyone has any more information about this, I would like to hear it.

It's my understaning that it's 1 prize per contestant and that each ticket is a contestant since that is how they would get their total number of contestants for contest since I'm sure they don't actually go around and count heads. So if he had 2 tickets he should be able to enter 2 fish since he would be 2 contestants.

with over 20,000 holes that we drilled, only one hole pulled a 5lb walleye from it.

and I think I drilled that hole. So you better thank me. Joking I have no clue what holes I drilled. To many to keep track of.

I think the lack of fish being caught has more to do with the noise above the ice than anything.

That said... still a very fun time.

The Jaycees are looking into the double dipper. Even if he did buy 2 tickets, the rules state only 1 prize per contestant (not ticket) And he DID have 2 tickets.

I can't see any easy "fix" to this...The Jaycees judges obviously screwed up. What can be done if the results are wrong, but announced and posted as "official" as the website sugggests? It's going to be interesting for sure. They better clarify next year or limit every person to one ticket, which would reduce the $$$ made, so that probably won't happen either.

Do they call every winner from 100-150 (and the poor person at 151st) and have them back in Brainerd to adjust the prizes? That seems unlikely as well.

I fished the tournament 3 times, awhile back and never caught a fish...how often have people caught multiple fish, after buying two tickets, if that is true like jpz says?

I saw a guy with 1 ticket (i would presume) He caught 4 fish out of his one hole. His 3 buddies around him all also had fish.

The other thing I find interesting is that after looking at the winners list it appears that the double dipper has 2 relatives who also won prizes.......I guess these guys had some hot holes.

I wasn't ever that lucky! I hope to make it back up there again in the next couple of years...how is the pre-contest party? Is it worth coming up early, to stay and have fun?

I'm gotten into a perch hole.......of course that was the year EVERYONE was in a perch hole. Yeah, I guess the guy gets 2 and we move on.

So, jpz, it sounds like some people, including you, have caught multiple fish, great job! I must not be lucky enough or I don't try hard enough or try too hard...I'm sure there are some people have fished almost every year without winning a prize...if there are thousands of people and 100-150 prizes per year, that would mean a bunch are in my situation!

I wonder if the Jaycees will comment or just let it go? I'd hate to be on that board, trying to figure out what can/will/should happen.

Good luck fishing!