Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ice_it_06

Reels Binding

4 posts in this topic

Have had (3) of my seven reels this week all of a sudden get a drag/rubbing feeling as the bail turns.

Two are Ticas and the other a Pflueger.

The one Tica seems to have a bearing out, its only a (2) bearing model. The other is a (6) ball bearing and the Pflueger is a (10)

bearing.

All three are on their second season and only used inside a perm.

Is there a lubrication issue I'm ignoring ? Have never had reels do this, especially reels over $50 and less then (2) years old.

Seems odd three would all go down within a few days of each other.

Could it be that they are just stiff from being in the cold? Do they work right once they warm up?

For lubrication I've been using Quantum Hot Sauce (the oil, not the grease) in my reels. They see very little if any grease now.

Rods/reels are kept in a custom rod case inside @ room temp.

Heat is always on low in the perm so cold temp is not a issue.

I had a can of WD 40 @ home so I shot some inside one of the reels, loosened it right up.

I must have a lube issue with two of them, the other I can see a bearing gone and the bail wobbles.

Only thing I can think of it's a panfish rod (TB) and the cheaper Tica. Have caught almost all my large crappies on this rig this year and a couple eyes. Ten plus crappies 13.5 - 16 inches already this year on the rig. (been a incredible year on large crappies)

And the normal hundreds of reel ups of the under 8 inchers must have trashed that reel already !!

Seems awefully funny to burn up a reel in under two seasons doesn't it? No matter how cheap they are.