• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Auger Binding

CadCruzer

Question

I just purchased a Brand new Strikemaster 2hp. 8" lazer mag. I am having a terrible time going through the last few inches of ice, at the bottom of the hole. The auger will lock up and get stuck in the hole. It got so bad that I thought I was going to have to disconect the powerhead from the auger and leave it stuck in the ice. This happend on just about every hole that I drilled. I have used power augers for about 20 yrs, and have NEVER had this much problems drilling.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

19 answers to this question

I am by no means an expert....but I have noticed that with Strikemaster augers a person does not need to push down to get it to cut. If you put pressure on it, the auger/blades tend to get stuck. I borrowed mine to a friend a few weeks ago and noticed that he treated it like a Jiffy and was putting weight on it as it cut and it really started to bind up and get stuck. Its best to just let the weight fo the auger do the work. If you already knew this...then I would just give Strikemaster and call and see what they have to say. Good luck

CLiffy

Ditto on cliffy's reply. Sometimes you will actually have to put a slight lift as you near the bottom of the hole

I'll have to agree with Cliffy, I believe I was prob the one who was putting my weight into it. I noticed it cut like warm butter when he corrected me. Very smooth and fast... the Perch

I had the same problem took it to Strikemaster in Big lake they adjusted the pitch works like a charm now and the best part it was free!

I had the same problem - Like rackaholic, it was a problem with the pitch (cutting too aggressively). Called Strikemaster and got authorization to bring it to D-Rock (New Brighten). They fixed the problem and checked everything else out to make sure I didn't have any other issues. Great Service from D-Rock, also a great place to buy a slightly used strikemaster auger for cheap.

Good luck!

I had the same problem last spring when I bought a new strikemaster. I called them, they said it was a common problem with the blades. They sent me a new set. Got them in about 2 days and it has worked flawlessly since. hang on as she pulls through like a hit knife going through butter. Give them a call.

2 strikemaster owners had this happen this weekend. One has pics under the burntside bash thread on the Bwca forum. Had to cut holes around the auger shaft to get it out.

The other I was able to turn the opposite way with my hands, with gloves on, and it broke free.

I think its a thing with the power point or part of 1 blade breaking through the ice, water hitting ice shavings in the hole at freezing temps, causing the auger to slow and catch at the bottom of the hole and then locking up the auger shaft with the weight of the freezing slush mix.

My advice is to pull your auger up and clear the ice shaving out several times as you cut a hole. Then when your breaking through you wont have all that shavings to suck up water and slow down the cut and possibly get stuck.

Also I have sen several Strikemaster that the pitch of the blades came out of wack on. They took them to Big Lake and they fixed them or replaced the shaft at no charge and even sharpened blades and gave a deal on new blades in 1 case.

Very good customer service there from what these guys told me.

You do not have to put weight on a Jiffy - this is bad. If they are doing this they need to look at the cutting edge. I have a stealth with a chipper edge and only need to guide it. Sometimes you need to pull up slightly.

I love my strike master and have had similar "occurrences". Same as everyone says if it gets tough towards the bottom I lift it up and that puts a little less weight on the blades and finishes the hole nicely.

I've got a lazer hand auger and when you get to bottom, you have to break that last bit of ice as since there's nothing left to shave. I don't apply any extra downforce. I leave it to the auger itself.

We've been having problems with the Strike lite with the slush/shavings freezing up in the cylinder area right behind the blades. It just makes the drill spin around in circles. When it cuts and drills it's very efficient. When slush freezes, it's doesn't drill at all.

Mine will do the same thing, if you lift up a little more on the auger she cuts right through.

I don't know if this will help or not, but I had the same problem with the last couple of inches in every hole I drilled last Friday. I have a 2hp SM w/ the yellow button and an 8" lazer auger with the power point, and it wasn't a problem with too little power but binding at the breakthrough point. I was able to back it out by hand and then finish the hole.

I have never had to put down pressure on the auger as it really does pull itself down, and it really rips through the ice by itself. Maybe mine is a little too aggresive on the pitch, but like I said; I haven't had this problem before this last Friday. I do know we have some great ice now due to that last cold snap, and maybe that has something to do with it.

Originally Posted By: shaky legs2
You do not have to put weight on a Jiffy - this is bad. If they are doing this they need to look at the cutting edge. I have a stealth with a chipper edge and only need to guide it. Sometimes you need to pull up slightly.

I guess I should have been a little more clear in my answer. My thought was based on my past experince using an older Jiffy model 30. I have not used any of Jiffy's newer models and I would assume you run them the same as all others...or close to it.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

As said, lifting toward the bottom of the hole in most cases is the remedy. Heres a little tip, lock you elbow into your waste or side as you drill. That added stability gives you more control.

Some times you might experience the auger locking up well before your getting to the bottom of the hole. Don't try and power thought that, it'll only bind worse. Turn the auger off and by hand, counter rotate the auger out. Still you might find that a pipe wrench is the only way of getting the auger shaft out.

I think its the layers of good ice and frozen slush that causes that binding.

Yep: I called Strikemaster and I have new blades on the way free of charge. Sounds like they have gotten alot of bads blades from their manufacturer. I tried out my friends lazer mag and it cuts through the ice all the way with no binding at the bottom, just a little bump.

Thanks for the advice everyone

I also had a new Strikemaster that I bought a month or so ago that did the exact same thing. I tried everything with this unit and eventually the dealer called Strikemaster as he had bought 2 of these also and had the same problem. They sent new blades with a different rake to them and it definately helped but it still wasn't perfect by any means. A friend of mine actually broke a pin or something in his and had to send it back. Long story short, I ordered a new Nils and it should be here soon. Strikemasters service was excellent but the auger just wasn't what I expected. I know alot of people have these augers and they work Great!

Jason

http://www.hardwateradventures.com

[email protected]

Same thing happened to me. I took it to SM and they tested it and found out that it wasn't putting out the full torque. They made a quick adjustment to the engine & it was good to go. Free of charge too.

Rubber mallet has been my tool of choice to use to get rid of the built up ice behind the blades.Cy, over at Strikemaster,told me to spray the composite auger bit with cooking spray, or WD-40,to help keep the ice from building up.I did try WD-40 on it the first time I used it and it worked to slow up the freezing of the slush on the bit.