Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wooly1

"No limit" fishing

22 posts in this topic

Is there anyone here that takes advantage of liberalized fishing on the lakes?

I read that Union is open to l.f..

If so what methods do you use and what do you target?

Dora, Pepin and Rice are all open to liberalized fishing.

Does anyone know if you can drive on Union ? i cant find any acess. thanks

The access is just south of the "big Steer" truck stop, on the west side of the road. It's what I would call a "primitive" access. No ramp, or at least not one that I remember. I've never seen a vehicle on the ice that I recall. Good Luck.

You'll make it down, but not sure if you'll make it back up!!!! There is a private access on the other side but it next to a creek and the water is usually open.

Can you use as many lines as you want or are you still held to two lines.

I was wondering the same thing, also do the fish act normal when they are short of air,i mean will they bite. i can rember the old timers talking that they just cut a spear hole,and the fish would come to it for air and they would spear what they could.That would have been in grampas day.

If I'm not mistaken you can use whatever means you have to get them out( net, spear etc.). I've never done it, but cutting a sizable hole ( a job in itself) "somewhere" on even a 200 acre lake I don't think would be a fish "magnet" that they would all come rushing to.I know they got alot of fish out of Fountain that one year. The thought has intrigued me though, just never did it. Good luck if you do & let us know how it went.

L2f oops! I meant to direct this to Tipup101, sorry

I was thinking about going to Dora. But wondering if it would be that much fun. If any one is heading out there let me know how you did. I had been thinking about getting in to spearing this might be a good start.

tipup....dora is a no go...went by there saturday.

there were some guys out with nets....they were getting one fish per 100' of nets...SO, don't waste your time. Go find another spot...

Thanks for the tip. Think I'll just forget about the no limit stuff. And take a stab in the dark and look for some crappies.

The way I read it on the DNR website is that nets are NOT a legal method to take fish even during a liberized fishing! So I would caution you who are willing to try that route it might not be such a good idea. As far as the amount of lines, it doesnt say anything about the # of lines, but it does say they may be taken by an matter of hook and line, so im guessing you would be ok having more than 2! Just my assumption, but im by no means a Warden so you might want to look into it alittle further.

I think you just cant use a hoop net. I believe the gill nets are ok.

Sounds like everyone has the same experience level as me. I have been intrigued to try but never have. In the past when Union, Dora or Circle have winter killed I have had friends bring home buckets of northerns, some nice sized. They used spears and landing nets.

I would think if you can net and spear you could put as many lines as you like out.

Call our regional DNR office to confirm the rules of liberalized fishing if there is any doubt. Thanks.

I called the state DNR office and asked about the lakes open for liberalized fishin, they said you can take as many fish as you want,any way you want except explosives.net,spear,as many lines as you want,all thats required is a valid angeling liscence.

Taken directly from the DNR website...

Rules for taking fish from lakes opened to liberalized fishing:

"The lakes are only open to liberalized fishing for a short time period. So check the dates on posted signs or in local newspapers.

You are required to have a resident angling license to take fish on liberalized lakes.

You may take fish in any quantity for personal use from lakes opened to liberalized fishing.

You may sell rough fish.

You may take fish by spear, gillnet, or angling (check each lake at the access site, gillnets may not be allowed at all lakes).

You may not use seines, hoop nets, fyke nets, or explosives to take fish.

All trespass laws are in effect and you should abide by them when accessing lakes.

Do not leave any trash or litter on the lakes and take home all fish that are caught."

BnD--Gillnets are acceptable. It says nothing about the number of lines you can use. I guess one would have to ask specifically on that.

I am thinking gillnets are about the only way to do decent on these lakes with the lack of O2.

Has anyone had any expierence fishing on liberalized lakes do you suggest netting or spearing do the fish bite when they are lethargic from lack of oxygen I am planning on going to one of these lakes on sat and putting out a gang load of tip-up's near a creak inlet by open water If goes as planned the fish will be stacked in this are looking for air?

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted By: bunt2k
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/liberalized/index.html

The list.

That list is getting longer!

Wish I could take the chain saw out and try a few spots. Cut a few big holes and see what shows up. Throw some tip ups out too. Next few weekends are booked though.