Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DOUBLELUNG

FOOD PLOTS

4 posts in this topic

I am going to plant a food plot this year and am wondering what to plant? I planted some stuff this last year and the only thing that came up is clovers. There is corn and soybeans all around the area that I hunt but I want something to hold them to a certain area. Something that they really like. Does anyone have any suggestions?

First off, how big of an area?

It wont matter what you plant if you dont have enough crop to hold them where you want.

I dont know that there is any one magic thing you can plant.

Deer go through stages throughout the year as to what they want/need to eat.

What part of the state?

200' x200'. Central MN. Princeton area.

You will find more food plot posts in the Deer Forum, especially if you search back a ways, and maybe also in the Hunting forum.

Here's a recent one in the Deer Forum

First Time Food Plot

With a food plot the size you're talking about, your best options will be something that will withstand browsing, like clover or cereal grains. If you plant something that doesn't withstand browsing, they'll clean it out pretty quickly. It's possible that the other seeds you planted last year may have actually grown, and just been cleaned out by the deer before you noticed them.

And BLB is right, the deers' preference for food will change during the year, and if you have corn and soybeans in the area you will not be able to keep the deer in your plot all year long no matter what you plant.