Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JERKlips

Red lake river out of Crookston?

16 posts in this topic

Just wondering if the fishing has been picking up out there yet and what do they seem to be hitting on?

Went out this evening and had quite an intersting time. Landed one walleye about 13" and a few minutes later the entire vexilar was covered what seemed to be fish?? I mean it was almost solid red the entire column.

I ended up losing a nice fish (never saw what it was) that wrapped around the transducer before I could get it out of the way. I then somehow snagged a walleye that looked like it would have gone 22-24" in the tail that came off right in the hole.

Anyone have any clue what I might have been seeing on the Vex? I don't know what it could have been besides fish, but I literally couldn't find my jig for 10-15 minutes there was so much on the screen.

I think it must just be the fishermans inexperience

Originally Posted By: HUNT&FISH
I think it must just be the fishermans inexperience

Considering you're a newbie, I'm going to let that one slide. Welcome to the addiction!

Fish&Fowl

Could it be that the current was somehow affecting the signal? Maybe there was a tree in the water. Just a couple ideas. You could probably get some better answers if you started a new thread.

It sure didn't seem like it was anything other than fish. I lost missed 2 on my deadstick line and snagged that one all while there was stuff covering the screen. Then it would clear up for a while before filling up again. Just figured I'd mention it in case someone else had that happen or knows what it might be.

Big lines on the graph or small ones? Lot of things roam that river mudpuppies(on the bottom), river chubs, small school of anything grin.gif. I got lots of experience on that river so ask.

They were good-sized marks, but in 10 fow even my jigging rap looks big. I thought about mudpuppies, but just figured they were pretty bottom-oriented, and what I was marking was all the way up to a couple feet below the ice.

My guess would be that you probably had a school of bait fish under you for that period of time.

Hey Fish&Fowl we should go fishing on Sunday. If you want to go I will give you a call Sun morning or let me know earlier cause my line is dead. I will check my messages though. Reply cause I am addicted to this site and check it atleast 4 times a day!!!!

I might have to make it down there on sunday too, and like hunt&fish said its prolly lack of experience!

might have been silt that was stirred up by a 30 inch eye grin.gif.

If it was a number of rather large marks suspended in the water column, I would guess a school of channel cats. When you consider there are 20 pounders swimming around, that is a very large mark on your flasher. I've tried to catch them through the ice in Crookston but its a nightmare. For some reason, they just will not bite. I can catch them in other places through the ice but the Red Lake River has been tough.

I don't think they move very much in the winter, except in the shoe :/.

Based on what I've heard of late, from camera reports, they're cats and they bit pretty nicely last weekend.

Well for years I have been watching the cats with my under water camera on that darn river and they at times will come thought in schools of 30+ fish. Could never get them to bite though, pretty frusterating. When the schools came thourgh it was full of cats, carp and smallies all in a school. Above the dam was just crazy with cycles of them schools in the mornings.