• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

To neuter or not to neuter?

ole

I'm debating whether or not i should have my 2yr old Golden neutered. I heard so many different opinions from friends about it but haven't really heard much from real dog owners. People who hunt with dogs a lot. Any opinions would be very welcome.

Thanks, ole

I think nuetering is nothing but "pros"... same with spaying. As far as performance goes, there will be no difference.

I have a 2 year-old female right now that I was hoping to use in my breeding program, but she isn't exactly what I'm looking to use as a breeding gal, so she is getting spayed. I have no fears that she will cahnge in personality or physical attributes or instinct.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have a Britt that just turned 1. Had him neutered as soon as the vet said he was old enough. Didn't slow him down at all. I have always spayed or neutered all of my dogs.

If you are not going to bred your dog, then having them neutered or spayed is a no brainier. It eliminates so many problem that they can get, including cancers.

PoleBender

Since you won't know what you've got out in a dog for a couple of years. Is there any reason not to wait later (1-3 years) in case you may breed?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

PL

Thats where I'm at. My dog is going to turn 2yrs this spring. Not going to breed so it's de-nut time. Thanks All, ole

If your not breeding i think it is still good to wait until the dog is fully matured bodywise. I have heard/read that it can affect how they grow into thier body. Doing it before the females first cycle though or at about 6-7 months for male will cut back on the chanse of them getting cancer later in life. For the females is cuts it down drastically. I think its a toss up and you just have to weigh the good and bad. I eventually would neuter my dog though to prevent unwanted breedings.

Neutering will prevent some cancers and if a house dog ... it reduces the amount of territorial marking a male will do. I'm not sure about the last but I've read that somewhere before.