Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chberry

East/West Fox Lake

7 posts in this topic

I'll be heading up to a buddies cabin in a few weekends to do a little ice fishing on East or west fox lake in the Fifty lakes area. He doesn't fish much, and doesn't know much about the lake. Looking at the limited map I got off the DNR web site, I have a few places in mind to try. Has anyone fished this lake, or can point me in the direction to where we might start our hunt?

Any help on the ice conditions would be great also, plan is to drive after we have checked the ice but are there any areas to stay clear of other than than channel/narrows between the two lakes?

the lake has been real slow. it has been hit pretty hard the last couple years the last time out i didn't get a bite.

i grew up fishing this lake and have never been skunked while

ice fishing.

best advice is get away from the fish houses and find a spot

that has no holes around there is a bar out from the channel on west that hasn't been hit for a long time and the edges used to be good at night for crappies.

i might go out and try this weekend, but i think i will be on a different lake.

thanks, Irishsobn04! I don't like fishing in a community spot, so I will be exploring. generally speaking, do the walleys follow classic walleye patterns on this lake? I've circled a couple of points I would like to try.

yes and no, they seem to be where they should be on

any given day, but it has been a tough walleye lake the last few years espically if you are looking for numbers. they are usually nice when you hook up! my brother talked me into going there this weekend he saw one walleye on the camera and i cought a couple crappies that were on the bottom in 38'.

i talked to a friend who keeps a perm out there and the bite has been bad all winter very few eyes. he has been targeting crappies, but they have been tight lipped too. i got mine at 7am.

i am thinking pelican for the rest of the season.

these smaller lakes have been getting hit hard!

I was up there the weekend before last, slow is the word there.

I was hoping to blame the cold weather, but I see the lake is just not producing this year. Also have noticed even the crappie numbers down this year compared to the last few. The "saddle" on west or the deep weed edges by "sunkin islands" on east can produce walleye at times.

I argee with Irish, the lake has quality fish just not numbers of them.

Good Luck...

I'll up to East/West Fox this coming weekend. Can anyone tell me how the fishing has been on these lakes or the general location types I should start my search for eyes?? My buddy who owns the cabin hasn't been doing much other than the occasional hammer handle or bass off his dock.

The info I got this past winter helped me get a few eyes for my group, as well as some decent norhtern action during our winter trip, so thanks to Catchumbig and irishsobn04 for the help this past winter.

Never had much luck for 'eyes out there...had a cabin on it and been fishing it for over 15 years! I have mangaged to get a few fishing steep breaks in the winter time, and a couple here and there while throwing worms and jigs for bass along the weedlines...for a grand total of maybe 8-10 fish. Regardless of species, it has been VERY slow so far this summer.