• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

East/West Fox Lake

I'll be heading up to a buddies cabin in a few weekends to do a little ice fishing on East or west fox lake in the Fifty lakes area. He doesn't fish much, and doesn't know much about the lake. Looking at the limited map I got off the DNR web site, I have a few places in mind to try. Has anyone fished this lake, or can point me in the direction to where we might start our hunt?

Any help on the ice conditions would be great also, plan is to drive after we have checked the ice but are there any areas to stay clear of other than than channel/narrows between the two lakes?

the lake has been real slow. it has been hit pretty hard the last couple years the last time out i didn't get a bite.

i grew up fishing this lake and have never been skunked while

ice fishing.

best advice is get away from the fish houses and find a spot

that has no holes around there is a bar out from the channel on west that hasn't been hit for a long time and the edges used to be good at night for crappies.

i might go out and try this weekend, but i think i will be on a different lake.

thanks, Irishsobn04! I don't like fishing in a community spot, so I will be exploring. generally speaking, do the walleys follow classic walleye patterns on this lake? I've circled a couple of points I would like to try.

yes and no, they seem to be where they should be on

any given day, but it has been a tough walleye lake the last few years espically if you are looking for numbers. they are usually nice when you hook up! my brother talked me into going there this weekend he saw one walleye on the camera and i cought a couple crappies that were on the bottom in 38'.

i talked to a friend who keeps a perm out there and the bite has been bad all winter very few eyes. he has been targeting crappies, but they have been tight lipped too. i got mine at 7am.

i am thinking pelican for the rest of the season.

these smaller lakes have been getting hit hard!

I was up there the weekend before last, slow is the word there.

I was hoping to blame the cold weather, but I see the lake is just not producing this year. Also have noticed even the crappie numbers down this year compared to the last few. The "saddle" on west or the deep weed edges by "sunkin islands" on east can produce walleye at times.

I argee with Irish, the lake has quality fish just not numbers of them.

Good Luck...

• 4 months later...

I'll up to East/West Fox this coming weekend. Can anyone tell me how the fishing has been on these lakes or the general location types I should start my search for eyes?? My buddy who owns the cabin hasn't been doing much other than the occasional hammer handle or bass off his dock.

The info I got this past winter helped me get a few eyes for my group, as well as some decent norhtern action during our winter trip, so thanks to Catchumbig and irishsobn04 for the help this past winter.

Never had much luck for 'eyes out there...had a cabin on it and been fishing it for over 15 years! I have mangaged to get a few fishing steep breaks in the winter time, and a couple here and there while throwing worms and jigs for bass along the weedlines...for a grand total of maybe 8-10 fish. Regardless of species, it has been VERY slow so far this summer.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        
    • smurfy
      got mine done........for the cabin.....ready for summer festivities!!!!!!   there was still frost in the ground...........but good gawd are the lakes low!!!!!
    • CigarGuy
      Just 1, 50" muskie🫣
    • SkunkedAgain
      How many walleye were on the stringer on their way out??? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.