Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishin58

For those that don't troll other forums

3 posts in this topic

We'll i'll state something on this forum, and i would like this not to get into a yelling match because its mainly opinionated by us who dont know exaclty how this work. I would be in favor of a 4 fish limit but more slot limits on lakes also. The reason i say this is that there are lakes where a slot limit could hurt the walleye populations and other fish populations in the lake.

I would like to see a slot protecting all fish 20-27 inches. Really for me its 21"-? and the only reason i put a question mark is i've never caught a walleye over 26" But with the ability of replicas a big walleye does not need to be kept. Even though i've heard and Deadhead can probably make this more clear that a large walleye might have a lot of eggs but they are actually less fertile than lets say a 24" eye.

For a lot of people this is more opinion than actual fact data, but if we can keep this cival it could be a great conversation piece.

Andrew Shae

It seems that these conversations are never civil. Everyone has there opinion and have no shame in writing it, which is a good thing. I think our fishing regs shouldn't be made based on tourism. I like Shae's idea of the slot, protecting the 20+" fish BUT allowing someone to keep a trophy. We have to face the facts there are many different types of angles out there. Most people on here are out for the fun of angling, and taking home an occasional meal, but there are people who come "UP NORTH" to spend a week or a weekend at the lake who want to keep some fish to eat or bring home or whatever. Those are the anglers that are keeping the regs as liberal as they are now. When it comes down to it, lakes should be managed on a lake to lake basis. If we had to do one thing statewide, it would be to protect the 20+" fish and allowing one over 28". Just my 2 cents