• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Prior Lake

Thanks,.. We went out in the evening and did pretty well on the crappies and some small sunnies. Like you said the fish were were pretty agressive, had to pick thru a few to bring some home. It was a little wet but had alot of fun.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wallmaster

• McGurk

• tj417

• walleyeJoe

Ya I ran out there this afternoon just to check out the lake condition. I didn't put a line down or nothing. There was pretty good water out there. It is hard to say how long it will be safe to drive out there. I went through some water right off the access that was I bet 8-10 inches deep

I was out there yesterday during the day in about 16fow. Bottom 5ft was stacked with sunnies but i was really have a hard time getting them to bite. Ended up with 2 keepers after like 4 hrs and left. It was pretty slow for everyone i talked to

perch are usually good sized in lower prior right by the twin islands

WalleyeJoe-I have had some luck with the perch by twin islands like you say. I haven't really gave it much time this year but in the past it has produced like you said

Walleye Joe,

I'm a little confused by your post. Twin island is actually located in Upper prior Lake, which is the southern lake. The way Upper and Lower Prior Lakes are named is confusing because on a map Upper Prior is the southern section and Lower Prior is the northern. They are named Upper and Lower because of the elevation they sit at not because of their physical location.

I thought it was because it is "up stream" to go to Upper Prior - The water goes from Spring, to Upper Prior, then to Lower Prior.

Perch always seem to be around Twin Island early ice, then they disappear for the rest of the winter.

I am going to try this evening, I will have the old knee boots on for sure and might just start bringing the wheeler out to be on the safe side. Don't want to get the truck stuck in a soft spot. I think the water is running into the already drilled holes and might be making them bigger. Thanks for the pearch info..-WM

Does anyone know where the best place would be to walk out onto Prior? I fished the north end out of the winter access, but I don't think you can park on the road there. Is anything happening on the south end? Or should I just walk out of sand pt. I'm taking a buddy out tomorrow and looking to keep it easy with two people with gear. Thanks for any input in advance. Could be the last time out for me.

Drove out the north end this afternoon and there was 3" of soft slush on top, but when you drill, the ice is still very firm yet. It did look a little worse when i came back in at 7pm (more ruts).

As far as fishing went, i ended up with a dozen nice 8" gills. I searched an area and found fish, but they were only in about a 20' diameter and suspended from 10' down to 19' in about 22' of water. I drilled all around outside of this perimiter and could not mark a single fish.

Sometimes they were aggressive, and the next minute they just sat there and stared. Best color was blue with orange.

FYI - 247icefishing, if you are still going to go out again you can park in the parking lot at sand point parkimg lot I think and walk out from their as far as I know. Sorry for the late info I hope it can still help, a front coming in on Monday and Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Wallmaster have not heard any thing from you lately.

Are you gearing up for the opener?

I have been fishing the Mississippi river and been doing real good getting the eyes and what ever else wants to bite-alot of fun! grin.gif

Was out yesterday got a few crappies. The ice is getting real bad I wont be going again, won't chance it until ice is gone. Time to get the boat ready. The old man want's to go down to red Wing and give it a try, I guess I might be doing that on Sun. or Mon....WM

I think we are going to still have ice up North for the opener \:\(

I was out there two days ago and had to use the waders to get on the ice. I broke two big chunks off when I was stepping out there. Good fising but getting a little crazy even for me.