Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wallmaster

Prior Lake

77 posts in this topic

Anybody know what's been happening on Prior? I think My wife and I are going their this afternoon thru tomorrow morning I would appreciate any info.

Thanks \:\)

Justa quick overview of what's been happening out there:

-Walleyes getting caught 16-20' around Reed's Island

-Crappies are starting to move in shallower, but are still able to be found in the 30+' deep holes, along with panfish

-lots of 5" sunnies and 7" crappies to pick through

-all kinds of houses on the north side of Lower Prior, and there must be somthing getting caught out there

-Houses are spreading out further apart, but still all over the place

Thanks for the update.

One of my sources told me they havent caught much for 'eyes near Reeds Island in awhile. Apparently the fish have moved of there as well as most of the houses.

Hey Wallmaster, small world that we met on the lake. How'd the weekend go? I saw your crew were out on Sat night, too. Hope you had a good time, and the map helped you a little.

Thanks McGurk it was a pleasure meeting you, the map helped me having more detail than the DNR one. We poked around a little bit but still decided to stay where we were. It was a little slow but still managed a few nice eyes in the evening and some pretty nice perch, we lost a few too. We got some Emerald shinners that worked pretty well, they sure were lively. I think we might be comming into the dog days of winter for the eyes. Thanks again...WM

Any tips on the eyes? I tried to find them a few times this year with no success. I'm new to the lake so I've been doing a bunch of scouting. I thought I was on a perfect spot a few weeks ago. Right on the weedline where rocks transitioned to sand/weeds in 14 ft or so I think. I fished it from about 4-8:30 or 9pm without marking a fish (after the little perch left). I don't want your spot, just a few pointers would be nice. Do I need to stay out later than that?

I have a camera which helps understanding the lake bottom alot. You are close though just get to the spot that is closest to the deepest part of where you are and make sure you still have the weeds rocks sand and muck. They seamed to like to run the edge of the longest finger just before it started to come up to 16' or so. Crappie jig or hook of the same size and hooked under or just in front of the dorsal fin to keep him Parallel with the bottom. Light line and as sensitive bobber set as possible tiny split is what worked with the shinner which you might have a hard time finding. Stay out later we were getting bites 6:30up to 11:30. We tried jigging buck shot spoon with minnow head and we had a few bites as well. We had a 40+ depth near by, But like I said they might be starting dog days of winter...WM

What have you been finding for ice? There has to be a ton out there now. Have not been out there in a while. Can you drive a Suburban out to Reeds? How about through the channel by the island into what I call the "middle lake" south of the island towards the bridge.

I have a camera too and it's been a great help. I hardly even use it when I'm actually fishing, it's mainly just to look at the lake bottom. At least I'm close, I'll try staying out later next time. I'm hoping to get out this weekend, maybe early next week. I always think that when it gets to those dog days that I'll switch over to crappies but I never do. I always have to chase those eyes until the season closes. Thanks for the tips WM!

Ice was thick enough,driving a Suburban shouldn't be a problem. I used to have quite a few of those over the years just take your time. I was driving my 2500 sieries GMC this weekend with camper - with no problem - ice can very though - so be careeful in those areas. Their seemed to be alot of traffic around thoes areas from what I could see..Good luck....WM

im going to hit that midlake hump south of reeds tomorrow and hope to not freeze. Ill be there around 615. im thinkin to try the base of that piece of structre in the morning and than hitting the deep hole next to it during the day and see if i can find a few crappies and possible a deep walter in the day if they move down there. anybody see anything green right on the hump with their camera? Well, i have room for two if someone wants to brave it with me. im thinking wallys but am going to trick a few crappies if my plan A doesnt work.

Thats a very tricky area I've seen trucks and cars go thru the ice there almost every year. You can drive thru there but stay on the narrow side of the island.

Tash|t, I'm in the same boat as you; I had found the perfect spot, and that is where I happened to meet up w/ Wallmaster. It looked great: rocks, muck, close to weedline, dropped about 5 feet for every 25' of ice, perfect. Stayed out late one night and managed a few 6" perch and nothing else. I was disappointed to say the least. I packed up and moved to a different deep hole, but might be moving back after hearing Wallmaster had a little luck.

Just for fun, how many houses do you guys think are on Prior this year, by far the most I've ever seen in 4 years down here.

150-200

At least 400+ on the upper half

Yeah, its pretty unreal. anybody been out to candy lately? seen a bunch of people in that bay to the NE of it. Gills?

Fishing Prior is better during warm winters due to all the people that only go if they can drive out.

If you like being five feet or less apart from one another candy is the place for you!-lol-:(

I was thinking of Tonka this weekend but not quite sure yet, its supposed to warm up a little bit. The wife wants to go out again, sure like it when she likes to go fishing if she gets tired she just climbs in the camper and goes to sleep and I can fish till I can't see the locator anymore or pass out! \:\)

Well we went to Bush Lake instead and didn't do so good. We saw nice size crappies and sunnies in the thick weeds in 7'-9' with the camera and decided to stick it out in about 9'-10' for the rest of the evening. The bite was real tuff and only managed a hand full of 12" Crappies and a few small sunnies they just didn't want to bite no mater what we tried, they just bumped it and left. Think I will try Prior in a couple of day's again.

Not a lot of talk about Prior lately...would that indicate that fishing has been good there???

Very slow on Prior. Fished Friday and Saturday nights and only got 1 small walleye and 2 small crappies. Pulled my house off the lake.

Fished Thursday night and tonight in 26 feet of water & caught my limit of 9" crappies plus 5 nice bluegills each night.

Where were you having such poor luck?

I also limited out on "eater" bluegills Saturday in 18-20 feet of water on the east end.