Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ice-man/vexilar-king

Cold Spell Crappies!

16 posts in this topic

Ah yes a cold snap. Fish on the screen but there not eating. Wrong answer. Fish always eat. Great fisherman know how to find fish, and agood fisherman can catch fish. What makes u the best fisherman is knowing how to read your electronics and reacting to the mood of the fish. Try down sizeing, try slowing down, but don't forget the other extreem. Try getting some bigger baits in there face. Get them mad, make them want to kill your bait not just eat it. U can turn a day of every one saying there not biting today into a bucket full of slabs. Trouble and I iced two fish in the first 5 min we were on the ice last night, and then the mood of the fish changed. If we wouldn't have known how to read our electronics we would have been done for the night. We paid attention to little things that each fish did when it ate and started to put it all together. If you haven't watch your owners DVD that came with your new FL20 you should. If you don't own one I know a guy that works in Kato that will give you a DVD for free if you ask. Don't let these Fronts get you down. Your already one of the great fishermen for finding the fish now be the best by reading there moods and make them angry. Trust me Trouble and I make fish eat when they don't want to and its so much fun when it all comes together.

01-23-08_2341-1.jpg

01-23-08_2340-1.jpg

Look at the gash in the side of this 12" crappie, There are some other fish eating also and a crappie that size isn't a small meal.

01-23-08_2131-1.jpg

I hope this gets some gears turning and gets u guys trying differn't stuff, cause i love it when we put it together! Have Fun! and let some go for my kids to catch some day.

Just curious. who was this aimed at? Were a lot of people saying there werent fish biting?

FishOn!

Great question. We talked to guys out on the lake in the spot we were fishing. Not dirrected towards any individual. A local spot that everyone in that area said they stopped biting and we are waisting our time. I'm sure we have all experienced that should have been here yesterday situation. Thanks for asking.

Nice post Ice-Man.

Good report. Now, get to work.

Ice-man... did you catch them on Elysian?

My guess would be NW of there.

No Elysian has been slow so we moved to one of our crappie spots 35fow the 1st night we fished we got set up at 9pm fished till midnight and kept 10 crappies 10-12 inchs I was there last night and fished from 5:30 to 11 and got 12 the fish that are eating are coming in at 20ft ice man is out there now and is in on them thick

Great report and info, I've found the same when it comes to the bite, if i'm marking fish, such as crappies, there going to hit as long as I take some time to adjust to there style. Crappies don't always come in and grab the crappie minnow dunked below a bobber. I'm still sticking with the jig and tail hooked minnow, ripping away and causing some anger strikes. Keep at em. Mr. Hunt now I wouldn't go as Mr but ya that's me

See ya Sunday.

Too busy this afternoon and tomorrow.

got out tonight the biggest was 12in but we had some1 put there house 12ft from ours and ran a generator 10ft from our house all was good till he started it then no fish im off to sarah on sunday otter I will let you know how I do

I hope you stick it to 'em.

There Still going strong. It seems if you don't make them chase at least 8' they aren't angy enough to smash the bait, go figure. Lots of 11"-11 1/2" fish not many over 12" and haven't seen any good ones.(over 15") Starting to miss the Duck lake action.

01-25-08_1035-1.jpg

Got out on a Mankato area lake on Saturday with a fellow FMer. Had to find a steep slope that went from 7' to 25' about 15 steps apart. Set up in nearly 28' just off the slope and found some fish, but only in a couple holes within a 10ft radius. Biggest crappie was 13" and smallest was 5", but kept about 15 9-10" fish. THe best action only lasted a couple hours, but the search for fish paid off. The fish did not want minnows or wax worms. Only one crappie was caught on a minnow and one or two with a waxi and ratso. Plain jigging spoons with some flash did the trick. One of the best parts was the near sunburn on my neck...that sun was hot!

Anyone ever run daces for crappie? I've had unusual success with them this year. Size of bait has not made a difference. They've became pretty universal for me.

Were you out there this evening or did you send a scout?