Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jakemcarroll

Duck Lake - Bait Question

8 posts in this topic

I'm going to be heading out either tonight or tomorrow to Duck Lake for the first time and I was wondering if anybody had any tips on bait, I usually just get a scoop of minnows and some wax worms, but thought I would check to see what has been good recently, thanks!

They've been going on eurolarvae as well...

I used waxies and larva on sunday and it worked well for the fish even though they were small. The sunnies averaged around 5 1/2 inches and the crappies around 7 inches but had non stop action. The bite was the same if it was waxies or larva. Minnows did pull slightly bigger fish but the constant rebaiting because of the smaller fish made the choice easier. The camera was a blast to use.

Duck has been great for panfish. They're not the biggest fish in the world but its a lot of fun. I've been using two lines, one with crappie minnows and one with wax worms. The fish seem to be in the deepest part of the lake 20+ feet of water (or where all the houses are!). I've been out in the evenings mostly and they seem to bite from when I get out there til about 9:30. Even right after that cold snap they were biting, slower but still good. Hope you catch a bunch, good luck!!!

minnow heads work good too

Actually, I forgot to include that I was catching them on plastics as fast as my son was catching them with meat.

I don't think it matters out there.

Thanks for the tips guys I just got back and after 2 hours I had caught about 10 crappies and half dozen sunnies, what a great time. Had one crappie over 10 and a fat pumpkinseed but not much else for size. Would have fished longer but it just got too cold w/o a heater! Waxies worked great, thanks for the help!