Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nate larson

Going to Grand Marais, can I river fish?

8 posts in this topic

I am leaving for Grand Marais this afternoon. Does anyone know if there are any rivers up there that I can legally fish? Doesn't really matter to me what species. Just looking to wet a line. I have been looking at the Fishing Regs but I can't really figure it out. I am not very familiar with how things work up there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bump

If your refering to the northshore streams then yes, you can fish them. It's continuous up until the posted boundaries. However there are special regulations/seasons on steelhead and brook trout. My guess though is you won't find much for open/running water.

I dont know much about the inland stuff right now but you can fish the lake superior tribs below posted boundries...only thing is they would be frozen...maybe cast into the lake around the mouth but thats about it.

beat me to it...yeah, frozen up...forget stream fishing.

Right now you'd have better luck in your bath tub. It's just not time yet. If you're set on doing any fishing grab the longest light/med action spinning rod you have and some light line (4-6lb). Find open water near a river mouth or pier/breakwall and throw some casting spoons or float a crawler off bottom. That'll probably be your best chance of maybe getting a fish up there. Even then it's not a high yield opportunity. As long as you know that ahead of time, it's all godd, right? As with any out of town outing it wouldn't hurt to talk to some folks for a second or two at the local bait shops or elsewhere to get a feel of what's going on in the area. If you really have the itch to get in the streams head back up in may.

Better luck in your bathtub lol. youd have to be a good fisherman to catch anything in my bathtub ;\)

I usually pass up the bath tub and hit my toilet, quite often a few nice browns in there!!!!