• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Baker penciled in as ace? Ouch!

mike morris

Just reading an article on http://www.twinsbaseball.com saying Scott Baker is penciled in as the opening day starter if Johan is no longer with us. eek.gif

We're definitely in trouble if this does happen. Not taking anything away from Baker because he is a good pitcher... But he's no better than a potential #3 starter in any other rotation.

If Johan goes, our offense looks great. But the penalty is clearly the pitching rotation, in which Baker would apparently lead the way.

well Baker is the only one with any experience...who else you gonna put in there Boof or Slowey? Liriano prolly isn't 100% yet, and Garza got shipped....which I hope Delmon Young does pan out for us. Pohlad just needs to quit running this team like its the "Apprentice" Donald Trump show, and pay Johan, and I don't care if he only plays 1 every 5 games...cuz with him on the mound at least we got a chance every 1 out of 5 games then! Im fine letting Torii walk, but dumping Santana for some prospects would just put a dagger into this organization, and we are just like the Marlins by being everybody else's minor league system.

Yea Baker's good but don't want to see him out there opening day. Letting Hunter go they gotta get Santana signed.

I like Baker. I am of the belief he has what it takes to be a #1 or 2 type pitcher. He showed he is capable of it last year. That said, I don't want to call him the "ace" of our staff this early.

Here is an article I found that is interesting. It is old, but with all the "prospect" talk that is surrounding Johan lately, thought it might be neat to read. These couple of guys were as good of prospects as a Phil Hughes or Jon Lester, or Jacoby Ellsbury.

Baker

http://www.minorleaguenews.com/baseball/...2005/06/26.html

Here's one about Kubel for all the guys that love to cut him down. We have to remember, this guy was a top 5 prospect in all of baseball before he got hurt. I am thinking with regular PT, he is gonna have a breakout year. He showed last year towards the end what he is capable of.

http://www.minorleaguenews.com/baseball/...004/091504.html

I agree Baker is good, but heisnt our #1 starter. We need Johan on our team, we have some young guys that may be awsome, but they are young.

Kubel will be a good dh, I am not convinced he should play out field. If they end up trading Johan, they better get another starter pitcher, or an allstar slugger because we will need it.

He isn't a number one. Maybe a bad number two but if I were GM, he'd be my third.

We need Santana more than anyone thinks.

Didn't Baker take a perfect game into the ninth, only to give up a single to Mike Sweeney? After Johan- he's the best we got

This is what you get when you trade your ace and are rebuilding your pitching staff with young guys. I thought Baker pitched pretty good last year. A #1 no, but a solid pitcher.

Baker, Slowey, Liriano, Bonser and a #5 somewhere. (Blackburn or a free agent). Doesn't exactly scream division champs but maybe in a couple of years.

Originally Posted By: zamboni
Didn't Baker take a perfect game into the ninth, only to give up a single to Mike Sweeney? After Johan- he's the best we got

Yes. I was fortunate enough to attend that game. Man that was fun. As the innings went on, my buddy kept telling me "it's not going to happen". Top of the ninth, he finally said "man Baker has got it!" That's when Mike Sweeney came to the on-deck circle cry.gif

we say every year that they are going to be a 500 team and still them seem to be fun to watch and have a chance with a month left to get in the playoffs.

Originally Posted By: Fishing_High
Yea Baker's good but don't want to see him out there opening day. Letting Hunter go they gotta get Santana signed.

cant say it any better then this!!

"Kubel will be a good dh...."

I guess I wonder what Kubel has ever done to be considered a good DH. I for one have had enough of the Kubel experiment. As far as I am concerned they can cut him. We are going to be a different team in the years to come without Santana. It was always, "Well we have Santana and if we can get something out of the rest." Now it is "What does the rest have...how will they be.." Hopefully with the addition of Young we will have a little better offense. I hope they land a center fielder. Baker....he isn't a number one, but after opening day we will just be running guys out there.....maybe with a lot of luck and God's help we can turn into the Marlins....winning with a bunch of young talent who doesn't know anybetter....win it all....unload and start over

Before Kubel got injured he was a decent player, and had great potential. Last year he was still nursing an injury for the most part of the year. I dont think its fair to judge him when he was injured! I dont think he will be a .300 hitter, or 30+ hr, or 100+ rbi's. But compared to what we had in the last couple years, he should be the best that we have seen in a couple years! Is there better out there? Sure!

Kubel should be considered what he is -- a potential .280 hitter with 20 hrs and 75 rbis.

Yeah that is not great, but it is the best we have and an upgrade from the past couple of years.

As long as he can stay healthy ............

I really think Kubel is going to have a good year. He is finally 100% healthy and he started to rake towards the end of last year. Hopefully he pans out, but there is no way we should think of cutting him. We have to remember he is still fairly young and has maybe a little over one full season combined(at bats) of experience.

A full season with regular playing time, I will predict about a .270/.350/.450 line with maybe 15-20 hrs and 70-80 rbis if everything goes right. That is a HUGE upgrade from the numbers we have received from the DH position in recent years. Yes, there are definitely better DH's in the league, he would rate average comparably. But do we like him hitting there better than the usuall Lew Ford, Jason Tyner, Mike Redmond, Rondell White hodpodge?

I sure do.

Heck, Baker is the only pitcher we have that can beat the Yankees. sick.gif

Baker isn't a bad pitcher, but he's no ace. Face it guys, the rotation this year is fairly weak. And, like it or not, Santana is gonzo. Even if, for some reason, he isn't traded in the next couple of days he's already said he doesn't want to play in Minnesota anymore. Send him to the Mets.

I understand Kubel was supposed to be the next best thing before he got hurt.....but he really has been unable to stay healthy. I hope you are all right and he has a great year. It would be nice to have a guy to stick in the DH spot who hits .280 and has the potential to hit 20-30 HR. I just don't think its gonna happen. I also don't ever see him really being an outfielder again. Granted he may have been a little banged up still, but when he was out there he looked well below average on the defensive side. Like I said, I hope I am wrong...... I just can't see Kubel being the savior at DH. I think it will be a traditional year for the Twins at the DH spot, running guy after guy up there who is hitting in the 7 or 8 spot and hitting around the .240 mark!

You guys are forgetting we sign Craig Monroe too, so he will more than likely be the DH and Kubel will be the leftover outfielder....or starting in RF if Gardy doesn't like what we have in CF right now with Span, Pirdie, and now this Gomez kid, Cuddyer will be moved to CF. Maybe Monroe can be put in CF he played it when he was with the Tigers but who knows...there will be alot of competition in the outfield this year, and really no one has solidfied their spots in the outfield and infield for that matter, except for Morneau and Mauer.

My predictions. Young in LF, Gomez in CF, Cuddy in RF, Lamb at the hot corner, Everett at SS, Harris at 2B, and of course J Morneau at 1st, DH Kubel and we all know who will be sitting behind the dish. 2 returning players from our field last year talk about a flip. We will find out soon enough if that was for the better.

I think you nailed it Hunt&fish, that would be what I would guess also, with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 different center fielders!

Offensively we don't look too bad --

1. gomez CF

2. Mauer C

3. Young LF

4. Morneau 1B

5. Cuddy RF

6. Lamb 3B

7. Monroe/Kubel DH

8. B. Harris 2B

9. Everett (Chris) just kidding

That is the best offensive lineup potential that we have had for many years.

At least we will not lose 1-0, it might just be 6-5 now.

sick.gif

Offensively we look weaker than last year.

Downgrade at SS, 2B, CF (big)

Upgrade at 3B, LF

How are we better? We're not. Except now Punto will be doing random duty, which with his athleticism in the field & .215 average is where he ought to be.

How are we better?

Easy --

Adding Lamb, Monroe, Harris, Gomez and Young -- lost -- Hunter and a bunch of scrubs.

BTW -- YOUNG is going to be a UNREAL hitter.