Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyeking19

fishing the flats

5 posts in this topic

are fish biting on any of the mud flats? i might go up and try there instead of my other spots.

About the same as everywhere else on the lake I'm afraid, loads and loads of bite-sized perch for the eyes and jumbos to feast on. I don't want to discourage you from making a run, but we've done better overall on near shore reefs than we have on the mud. We've done OK during prime time near shore while the mud was slower overall but would sometimes produce when gravel and rock reefs wouldn't. In either case, it was not hot and heavy by any means. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you've been able to get some action on your typical spots you might want to stay put. If you haven't gotten anything at all, then it might be worth a run.

Good luck!

what about the perch what is the best way to fish them and were? we are new to the lake!

During the middle of the winter like now, the best way to target perch is by moving around A LOT and searching for active fish. On the mud, move on and off the flats and don't be afraid to try in the middle of no mans land. If your fishing hte south end, fish the deep gravel. Move, move, move. Best advice I've ever given anyone.

If you manage to make it out to the flats and are after perch, try the edges first then move up if you don't find any. As far as bait goes, bring minnows AND spikes/waxies as they will definitely prefer one over the other depending on what they are feeding on. Depth will depend on what flat you are on. Lures run the gamut from buckshot rattle spoons, pimples, rapala swimmers, genz worms, etc. Just throw a little bit of everything at them and you should be able to dial it in. There's a LOT of morsel sized perch and they are cannibals so perch patterns would be a good bet this season.

Based on my experience, perch fishing tends to pick up in late February through March, but you can find them throughout the winter season. I usually don't start going after them until later in the season for that reason. Since you're new to the lake, I would highly recommend going out of a resort with a well-maintained road. Mille Lacs is an intimidating body of water and you can get in trouble in a hurry. In addition to providing you safe access, the resort will be able to tell you where the perch are biting and can come to your rescue should you get stranded.

Hope that helps.