Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishpondc

Summer family vacation

9 posts in this topic

I was thinking about taking a family vacation to the area. I have a 10 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. We will be taking our boat, but have never been to this area. Just wondering about a good, resonably priced resort that has fishing, but also stuff for the kids and wife to do! I was thinking about taking a long weekend, not the whole week. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Fish, Check out the sponsor of the forum. You will really enjoy the area. Beutiful scenery and good fishing a great combination. A few days is just to short!!! Enjoy

Not sure what lake your looking at, if you check out http://www.kabetogama.com you'll find the area tourism website, that lists the many resorts in the area, and I'm sure you find one that fits your needs. I, personally, take my son who is 7 now every year for the last 4 years and have stayed at Snyder's Idlewild resort, which have a pool, hottub, playground and lodge area with a few games. We really love it there as well as the Company of Tim and his family.

Dockboy, there are a lot of good resorts on kabetogama, not just the one you work for. Check out the lake association web site, that should get you started.

Welcome Beav to the forum, Of course their are many great resorts on Kabetogama, Ash River and Crane. They all offer different amenties some are right on the lake others offer many kids activities and water toys. I'm sure the person researching will decide which amentities they need and want in a fishing/family resort. Enjoy the the area and welcome Beav.

Fishpondc, I agree that a long weekend is going to leave you wishing for a couple more days. There is just too much to see! I have been up almost every weekend for the last 7 years and I still am discovering stuff. Your going to find better fishing in the spring on kab as the eyes are in shallower. The west end of the lake favors this. Check out the kab lake assn site or contact the Gateway store for some non-bias in person info. their number is 218-875-2121 ask for Phil or Ellen. They can answer many of your questions.

Overda(dah) I agree with you that the weekend is just to short!! If your looking for nonbias reports one should just check out the lake association website. I think Phil and Ellen own a resort on Kab themselves, so I'm not sure how non-bias the info would be. LOL Dockboy

Dockboy, I think everyone who stays on Kab, firsttimers or repeat customers end up at a resort they like for their own reasons, which are many.

The beauty of Kab, and the Ash River area is that the area has 22 resorts which are members of associations and another half dozen of non-member resorts that make up one of the last frontiers of mom and pop resorts.

The one common denominator is Voyageurs National Park/Kabetogama Namakan, and Crane. The websites by both Kab and Ash River are very informative, most with virtual tours and descriptions of services, some resorts offer no services, some full dock services and some American Plan.

I've stayed at over 7 resorts between Kab and Ash and never been disappointed with scenery or surroundings, but I too have my favorites. Once in love with this lake, you'll find the place of your choice and be a lifer I hope. guts

Well put guts!!