• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Summer family vacation

I was thinking about taking a family vacation to the area. I have a 10 year old daughter and a 5 year old son. We will be taking our boat, but have never been to this area. Just wondering about a good, resonably priced resort that has fishing, but also stuff for the kids and wife to do! I was thinking about taking a long weekend, not the whole week. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Fish, Check out the sponsor of the forum. You will really enjoy the area. Beutiful scenery and good fishing a great combination. A few days is just to short!!! Enjoy

Not sure what lake your looking at, if you check out http://www.kabetogama.com you'll find the area tourism website, that lists the many resorts in the area, and I'm sure you find one that fits your needs. I, personally, take my son who is 7 now every year for the last 4 years and have stayed at Snyder's Idlewild resort, which have a pool, hottub, playground and lodge area with a few games. We really love it there as well as the Company of Tim and his family.

Dockboy, there are a lot of good resorts on kabetogama, not just the one you work for. Check out the lake association web site, that should get you started.

Welcome Beav to the forum, Of course their are many great resorts on Kabetogama, Ash River and Crane. They all offer different amenties some are right on the lake others offer many kids activities and water toys. I'm sure the person researching will decide which amentities they need and want in a fishing/family resort. Enjoy the the area and welcome Beav.

Fishpondc, I agree that a long weekend is going to leave you wishing for a couple more days. There is just too much to see! I have been up almost every weekend for the last 7 years and I still am discovering stuff. Your going to find better fishing in the spring on kab as the eyes are in shallower. The west end of the lake favors this. Check out the kab lake assn site or contact the Gateway store for some non-bias in person info. their number is 218-875-2121 ask for Phil or Ellen. They can answer many of your questions.

Overda(dah) I agree with you that the weekend is just to short!! If your looking for nonbias reports one should just check out the lake association website. I think Phil and Ellen own a resort on Kab themselves, so I'm not sure how non-bias the info would be. LOL Dockboy

Dockboy, I think everyone who stays on Kab, firsttimers or repeat customers end up at a resort they like for their own reasons, which are many.

The beauty of Kab, and the Ash River area is that the area has 22 resorts which are members of associations and another half dozen of non-member resorts that make up one of the last frontiers of mom and pop resorts.

The one common denominator is Voyageurs National Park/Kabetogama Namakan, and Crane. The websites by both Kab and Ash River are very informative, most with virtual tours and descriptions of services, some resorts offer no services, some full dock services and some American Plan.

I've stayed at over 7 resorts between Kab and Ash and never been disappointed with scenery or surroundings, but I too have my favorites. Once in love with this lake, you'll find the place of your choice and be a lifer I hope. guts

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.