• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Half Ton Truck Mileage Survey

Blaze

Question

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my truck to a newer one and wanted to get feedback from those of you who are running them right now regarding mileage since I put on 20K/yr. I'm looking for a 4x4 half ton crew cab and would like to hear REAL city/hwy numbers for these trucks:

* 2004 or newer GMC/Chev 1500 4x4 with 5.3l

* 2004 or newer Ford F150 4x4 with 5.4l

* 2004 or newer Dodge 1500 4x4 with 5.7l Hemi

Please share any other details that would affect mileage - mods, if you're a lead foot driver or granny style, axle gearing, etc. Also interested in hearing any major issues with any of your trucks. Thanks for your input!

Blaze

Airjer- what are you seeing for mileage for the new 5.7 liter Tundras? My friend just bought one, and he gets about 13-16 depending on city or highway. I have heard that they like to drink gas. My wife's Sequoia's computer says she is sitting at 15.2 mpg lifetime. She only has a short drive to work, and most of her driving is done around town, mileage increases greatly on longer trips.

Be careful comparing mileage and tire sizes. Changing tire sizes, larger or smaller than stock, will throw your speedometer off and therefore your mileage. You might still be getting 20 mpg but since the speedo is off you may calculate it at say 25 mpg.

Small diesels would/will be a great addition to half tons but unless the price for the engine option is similar to a gas engine and diesel prices drop there won't be a lot of buyers. It would take a LONG time to pay for itself.

If those Gm half ton diesel performs the way thy say it is going to Im gonna have one of them bad boys!Even though itwill cost more and doesnt make up for all of the extra cost in fuel milage it would just be great to have. I think it is what alot of people are looking for. There are alot of 2500HDs out there that never pull anything that a 1500 couldnt handle. Like I said if they are even close to living up to all the hype I gonna have one of them in my garage!

Originally Posted By: sparkyaber
Airjer- what are you seeing for mileage for the new 5.7 liter Tundras?

I haven't even serviced on yet! cry.gif

2005 F-150, 5.4 engine, 8 foot box supercab, 4.10 rear end.

I have only had this truck for a couple months, so it's been winter driving only. It does about 14 on the highway, and a lot less in town. Now, I know zippo about gear ratios, but I would assume that rear end contributes to the lousy gas mileage. I am hoping it makes up for itself in the act of towing.

I think I said my next truck would be a Yota, but my God are they expensive used. Plus, there weren't any sitting around with an 8 foot box and an extended cab. I still can't get away from the positives of having a long box. Someday, I'll listen to AirJer and buy a Yota.

My last tank was only 14mpg also. I think I have the 3.73 rear end. Any vehicle I've ever owned has been real heavy on gas in the winter.

i have a 2005 5.3lt 1/2 ton z71 crew cab i average 16.6 miles to the gallon

Being a salesman I maybe a little biased, but I read through all of the previous post's and they hold pretty true to what different customers have told me. I am a GM dealer but believe me I have dealt with all the domestic products. Dodge 12-14 Ford 14-16 and GM 16-18. These numbers I believe to be very true and it looks like it is true based on the majority of these posts. I am partial to the 5.3, I was a firm believer in the 5.7, but I have asked our mechanics here and they said it is not even a contest between engines: durability, gas mileage and upkeep of engines, all in favor to the 5.3. I can not say too much about the yote's, I have heard from some they are pretty comparable to Fords numbers.

Originally Posted By: Ray Esboldt
I still can't get away from the positives of having a long box.

Amen! my friends give me grief all of the time for my crewcab long box! Guess who gets the call when a lot of stuff needs to be moved. You can put a lot of stuff in an 8' bed with a topper on it.