Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
iFishMN.us

Late Night Pike

iFishMN.us

So I am wondering about catching northerns at night, I have never caught one, but I think I have heard of it happening. Is it only certain lakes(clear) that have a night bite or is there always a chance on all lakes?

FishOn!

Strangely, until this year, ive never heard of it. I still havent caught one at night, but several friends have. nothing real huge but you always assume walleye when a flag goes in the night!

CALVINIST

They have really poor vision at night, but if you put something under a northern's nose, it will probably go for it. I have caught them at night jigging for walleyes.

art321

OK. If pike have really poor night vision then why are so many large muskie caught at night? Often after midnight. Not trying to start an arguement, just as an anatomical biologist I would like to know what the difference is. In fact some muskie fanatics will mostly pursue them at night. I can't imagine that ophthamologically they are really that much different. Certainly behaviorally they differ somewhat. Is that what it comes down to? Do nighttime muskie guys catch a lot of pike at night as well? Do we just not here about them because the muskie guys ain't talkin' about how successful and fun the night bite is for both species?

JBMasterAngler

Muskies have very good night vision. Pike don't. Plain and simple. If I remember correctly, pike rely mostly on sight as opposed to sent, smell, or lateral line to find food. Makes me wonder though how there can be so many dirty watered lakes that have very good pike populations.

tednugefan

i think thats a good point JBMasterAngler

tunrevir

Caught one last night at 8 pm. Thought it was going to be a nice big eye. Bobber went down slowly, only took about 2' of line that is untill I set the hook and started brining it up then it began those sizzling runs and I knew it wasn't a floppy old walleye that I had hoped for. A three pound pike instead.

Tunrevir~

PLfisherman

I fish prior lake in the winter and the only "good" pike i have caught have been at night. when i say good i mean over ten pounds. i am fishing shallow water and with all of the noise they seem to bite after it is quiet. i pulled a sixteen pounder out last year on a airplane in my house and a couple 10's and 12's on rattle reels. i will try to find the pic and post it.

iFishMN.us

What baits have you all caught your night pike on? I usually use suckers or shiners but i am wondering if a glow or rattle jig would be better at night?

CALVINIST

I would definitely go with something that glows. Something that rattles would also be a plus.

PLfisherman

i use shiners, the big ones. i have caught some on suckers but more on shinners with either a single trebbel hook or a quick strike rig. on the rod i use a 1 oz hair jig green or black no bait

needed.

MidCoast

People use to tell me all of the time that Pikes are not night feeders.. Yeah right, every time I fish at night for Bass, I catch so many Pikes.

walleyeJoe

pikes????? haha...... you mean pike.... and i would find it odd to believe that anyone catches lots of pike at night.... A) they cant see anything... B) they cant see anytthing... and C).... they are full from eating all day long

walleyeJoe

in merky water pike cant see much either.... pike go mainly on vibrations... thats why pike are day time feeders..... especially in the bright day light.... come on boys you know better....