Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iFishMN.us

Late Night Pike

15 posts in this topic

So I am wondering about catching northerns at night, I have never caught one, but I think I have heard of it happening. Is it only certain lakes(clear) that have a night bite or is there always a chance on all lakes?

Strangely, until this year, ive never heard of it. I still havent caught one at night, but several friends have. nothing real huge but you always assume walleye when a flag goes in the night!

They have really poor vision at night, but if you put something under a northern's nose, it will probably go for it. I have caught them at night jigging for walleyes.

OK. If pike have really poor night vision then why are so many large muskie caught at night? Often after midnight. Not trying to start an arguement, just as an anatomical biologist I would like to know what the difference is. In fact some muskie fanatics will mostly pursue them at night. I can't imagine that ophthamologically they are really that much different. Certainly behaviorally they differ somewhat. Is that what it comes down to? Do nighttime muskie guys catch a lot of pike at night as well? Do we just not here about them because the muskie guys ain't talkin' about how successful and fun the night bite is for both species?

Muskies have very good night vision. Pike don't. Plain and simple. If I remember correctly, pike rely mostly on sight as opposed to sent, smell, or lateral line to find food. Makes me wonder though how there can be so many dirty watered lakes that have very good pike populations.

i think thats a good point JBMasterAngler

Heres some info from another thread. pike at night

Caught one last night at 8 pm. Thought it was going to be a nice big eye. Bobber went down slowly, only took about 2' of line that is untill I set the hook and started brining it up then it began those sizzling runs and I knew it wasn't a floppy old walleye that I had hoped for. A three pound pike instead.

Tunrevir~

I fish prior lake in the winter and the only "good" pike i have caught have been at night. when i say good i mean over ten pounds. i am fishing shallow water and with all of the noise they seem to bite after it is quiet. i pulled a sixteen pounder out last year on a airplane in my house and a couple 10's and 12's on rattle reels. i will try to find the pic and post it.

What baits have you all caught your night pike on? I usually use suckers or shiners but i am wondering if a glow or rattle jig would be better at night?

I would definitely go with something that glows. Something that rattles would also be a plus.

i use shiners, the big ones. i have caught some on suckers but more on shinners with either a single trebbel hook or a quick strike rig. on the rod i use a 1 oz hair jig green or black no bait

needed.

People use to tell me all of the time that Pikes are not night feeders.. Yeah right, every time I fish at night for Bass, I catch so many Pikes.

pikes????? haha...... you mean pike.... and i would find it odd to believe that anyone catches lots of pike at night.... A) they cant see anything... B) they cant see anytthing... and C).... they are full from eating all day long

in merky water pike cant see much either.... pike go mainly on vibrations... thats why pike are day time feeders..... especially in the bright day light.... come on boys you know better....