• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2007 Farm Bill Update/Status Thread

UGUIDE

Under the House Version of 2007 farm bill, if cropping history was rolled forward (2002-2007) I would be eligible to enroll 500-600 acres of currently cropped ground in high priority continuous CRP windbreak, riparian buffers, filter strips, and wildlife buffers.

With current cropping history of 2002 Farm Bill (1996-2001) I am eligible for 0 CRP acres.

Under the proposed Senate Version of 2007 Farm Bill, which Bush just vetoed, I would also be eligible for 0 CRP acres.

The reasoning to leave cropping history the same as 2002 Farm Bill was to not incent landowners to break ground just to get land in CRP.

That all sounds good and is a trade-off for not having a sod buster provision in the Bill but in reality I think the people that would actually do this as a primary strategy are very few.

I believe this limit may overly restrict the few conservationists that are ready and willing to implement High priority/High quality new CRP.

Here is link to the farm bill.

Farm Bill

And here is specific information about the proposed CRP programs.

CRP Components of Farm Bill

CRP grave has been dug. Fat lady stage left...

Inflation on food - it will not be wise to reduce acres and limit food production.

Heavy lobbying by ADM, Cargill, Implemment dealers, fertilizer companies, diesel fuel producers and distributors will push to limit CRP acres - each benefits greatly by more acres planted.

Small town economies likely benefit more via more jobs in ag - trickle down ... than they do via hunting industry. Total money influx maybe debatable, but money will be spread across more people via ag.

Young farmers will have a little less competition for land, since more acres will be available.

CRP was great while it lasted. To be honest I kill plenty of birds on heavily tromped public land. I kill plenty of birds on private land not enrolled in or even near CRP. I measure a great day hunting - not by limit killed in minimum time, but by the good dog work and the opportunity for everyone in the group to shoot at their limit throught the course of the day.

Devils advocate says sure bird numbers will be down, but so will hunter numbers ... lodges and outfitters will be forced to liberate more birds to keep the SHOOTERs happy or maybe close.

Land that holds a few dozen birds will no longer be leased like land that holds hundreds or thousands. Maybe access will improve?

I'm rather suspicious on the whole crp program. I know the benefits but now I see that there is talk on letting people out of there contract, with no penalty, and going back to farming.

That would be waisted tax payer money. Yea, I know it takes money to convert farm land into habitat. but when you change it back its money down the drain that taxpayers spent.

Brittman, pheasant hunters generated $219 million for the state last year.

Croix, the battle is on. Tax payers should fight for their right. They want cheap fuel, cheap food, clean air and clean water and don't want to die from cancer causing chemicals.

The Farm Bill has to have big shoulders. Producers outweigh conservationists. This is concerning....we only have one earth.

I really dont know what the battle is. People dont want cheap food or cheap fuel we want it fair and affordable.

No, I dont believe more land has to be farmed in order to feed the world. That's just like saying we need to drill more to keep oil prices down. When in my opinion, its the uncontrolled trading in the commodities market that unjustly setting prices on things.

The reason I see people wanting to convert there crp back to farm land is to take advantage of the out of control market.If they want to do that, fine just pay back what the state gave them or pay the penalties. Dont make us supporters of the crp program look like money launders

$219 million is a "soft" number that is calculated by surveys, etc... What state?

I would suspect ag is a multi-billion dollar industry in MN, SD, and ND. It is the life blood of ND and outside of the Black Hills, number 1 in SD too.

Ethanol is the old wolf in sheep's clothing. Ethanol and its supporting US government policies will drive CRP away, food prices higher and make no dent in the domestic fuel prices...

$219 million is a "soft" number that is calculated by surveys, etc... What state?

SD.

Billions. It is the reason that SD and ND are not indeed Buffalo Commons. Dakotas are great place and I grew up on the northside - ag is what makes these states tick...

And how much does ag contribute to the SD economy......

Augusta, I venture that AG will contribute even more to these states as many acres of grass continue to be rolled and sprayed in pursuit of additional corn yields. Many producers are in hot pursuit of getting out of CRP early so they can realize higher return for cash rent from producers or to farm it themselves.

I can't help but feel that SD and ND will follow similar paths as other AG states like IA, MN, ILL, IN, MI that used to have good bird numbers but the power of AG $$ has had a major influence on habitat acres in those states.

Maybe some of that $219M will pursuade some farmers to not turn all their croppable acres to corn.

I think it would be worthy to note that ND and SD are ag states, they're not their neighbors "playground" states....