Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeepguy

Keeper Walleye Sizes

12 posts in this topic

Last night I was fishing on Beebe, I caught 12 and 13 inch walleyes, they were pretty fat, but I threw them back. What do most people consider a ethical size to keep?

I generally don't keep anything smaller than 14"-15".

Nothing smaller than 15" an ocassion a 14" might hit the bottom of the bucket....

I generally don't keep anything larger than 18 inch. I think they are better eating when smaller and less murcury/PCBs. I usually don't keep anything smaller than 14. But I usually don't keep anything aside from a fish or two here or there. Ethically it is prabably better to keep the fish that represent the largest population in the lake since that size is most abundant and can handle more loss. It also comes down to weather or not that size fish is going to yeild enough meat to make a decent fillet. The 12 inchers don't yeild much meat. The 13's aren't too bad but still pretty skimpy. Much better with the 14 and bigger. (IMHO)

Yep, like the rest right around 15".

For me I usually like to keep the fish around in the slot 14-20. Its pretty general and if the fisihng is good I'll only keep 15-18s.

i keep anything 15-19 inches. it's just a family rule to throw back anything big and maybe we'll catch them when they are a trophy size fish.

14". The occasional 13" might hit the bucket if the fishing is tough.

I keep 12"-20" walleye. 12" if they are chunky but the 14"-18" are perfect for dinner.

14-18". Any bigger or smaller and they get to swim another day.

I usually keep eye's 14-18". I usually only keep a few here and there for a meal.

14 to 18 for me