Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Almquist

Keeping Burntside lakers for eating

13 posts in this topic

Stfcatfish I notice that you release your bigger fish and also mention if they are native fish. Would you like all of use (Burntside bashers) to practice this or is this because you spend so much time on the lake that you just don't need or want any more fish. Is there a better size for baking vs smoking ? This seems like such a special lake that I have no problem protecting some of its most valued resources (Lakers).

Jim, it's not my place in any way to tell others what I think they should or should not do with the resource.

Some folks keep all the lakers they catch, some keep none of them and some (like me) are in between.

I love a 2- to 3-lb laker filleted just like a walleye and fixed in fryin magic or shore lunch and fried in oil. Bigger fish I've filleted, left the skin on and broiled in an oven or in aluminum foil on a grill.

For my money, it's second only to coho salmon as the best tasting fish in fresh water.

I release almost all my fish over 3 lbs mostly because the smaller ones are the ones I like to fry up like walleye, and because my mate is not a big fan of lakers, so we don't eat them much, even though I love them (If momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy).

I also release all unclipped fish because most of those are native fish. The DNR clips a fin (different fin with each stocking) on stocked fish, so most of those with unclipped fins are native and naturally reproduced. Some unclipped fin fish might be stocked because once in awhile a fin isn't clipped off flush and can heal back, or a clip might get missed, but I'm pretty sure the majority of the unclipped ones are natives.

And I want to preserve all the natives I can. Smelt seem to have made a huge inroad into native walleye, laker, whitefish and cisco numbers on Bside, both from predation on eggs of those species and by outcompeting (billions of bitty smelt take a BIG collective bite) fry of other species for the micro-organisms needed at that point in their growth.

So a fish I think is a native is a fish I want to throw back. I want to preserve those genes, and the purist in me wants that, too. I don't know if it really has much impact. The stocked fish are Gillis Lake strain lakers, if I remember correctly, that come from wild parents, and maybe what I'm doing doesn't matter squat.

Anyway, that's my take. I don't consider myself better than any other angler who views the fishery differently, nor do I pressure or expect anyone to think the way I do.

How's that? Ask a writer a question and don't put a length limit on the reply, get a long answer. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for the info Steve and I guess now the its just up to me to hook into a couple. Frying up a 3lb sounds great and maybe I will be lucky enough to catch a couple so I will have one to smoke.

Jim

Smoked lake trout mixed with some cream cheese on a cracker is a great snack food for a super bowl party ,,,Too bad Ill be in Mexico for the superbowl ( I wont see the comercials) but Ill be thinking of all the FMers out on the ice with envy ,,,,,,NNNAAAAAAHHHHH

Randoid

Mmmmm, Randy, that IS a tempting taste morsel. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Jim, the way Lisa's talking all you'll have to do is sit back and do the eating and let her do the catching. grin.gifgrin.gif

Hey Wanderer,

What did I say again over a couple of beers at the Kwazy Wabbit about eating a lake trout? Wasn't it: "I would rather eat my sweaty boot"? HaHaHa!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

On a serious note, I don't like smoked fish at all, that's why I don't keep lakers. When I get hungry for trout, I like eating small rainbows or splake and they have to be under 16" because they get a little fishy tasting after that to me. I really like brook trout to eat the best of all.

Justin

Justin, if you like brookies best (I like them by far the best among stream trout, too), you should try smallish lakers. Brookies and lakers are char, and the char family sports the best eaters among trout, way better than rainbows and browns, for example. And splake, of course, are half laker anyway. grin.gifgrin.gif

Steve,

I probably would try to eat a small lake trout. The smallest one I have ever caught is 5-6 pounds, though!!! Well, I probably just doomed myself into catching nothing but tiny ones now!!!!

Incidentally, I would much rather eat Splake than Rainbows if given the choice!

Later,

Justin

Originally Posted By: JustinG
The smallest one I have ever caught is 5-6 pounds, though!!!

You've been using the scale at Great Outdoors again, haven't you? grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Nope, I'm totally honest with you on this one, dude.

Justin

Quote:
I want to preserve those genes, and the purist in me wants that, too. I don't know if it really has much impact
I like that you put it out there in this manner Steve. It's such a valid and poignant remark that there are sure to be many who will follow. I can respect that.

What I don't catch in fish, I make up for in enthusiasm! That's just how I roll! cool.gif

If I'm so fortunate as to catch two lakers in an outing I'll surely soon be preparing four fresh fillets. I have no problem admitting that I'll readily keep a limit of lake trout. I rarely ever keep fish but those...always.

MAtt I second that notion!!!!!