Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassboy1645

Another Wiring Question...

4 posts in this topic

So this winter/spring sometime Im goign to rewire my navigation lights on the boat. I got it all under control but I was lookign for some tips on putting the wires together...I know I should soder them, but Can I use pigtails and Somehow rig the pigtails up so they are waterproof?? Maybe some kind of glue or epoxy that dosent effect conductivity and makes the wire connections stronger/waterproof. it seems like no matter what route I take I always have to rewire it the followign spring after jimmy riggin it half way through summer...thanks for the ideas.

The best thing that I have found to make a water resistant splice is to find non isulated butt splices, crimp them, solder them, then use shrink tubing around the wire and splice. Just remember to slip the shrink tube on before you splice and solder. I have forgotten on more than one occasion. If you use the right size splice, and shrink tube, there are a great splice. The do make a rubber type liquid electric gunk, but it is messy. It is called liquid electrical tape.

Good luck

They also make butt splices that also incorporate a built in heat shrink. They where originally designed for the automotive field. They are kind of spendy but are easy and fast. Just crimp and heat (not burn mad.gif).

I either shrinkwrap and solder or use the shrink wrap butt connectors. The shrinkwrap butt connectors when sized appropriately to the wire size you are using have proven, to me, to be very good at keeping out the elements. They also make shrinkwrap that has a glue that helps seal the connection a little better. It is a little more expensive butt works very well.