• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

List your greatest quarterbacks of all time!

Hammer Handle

1) Joe Montana: 3? SB's, flawless execution in the pocket

2) Brett Favre: 16 years, numbers MVP's, 4th quarter comebacks, virtually every record (no bias. I'm a Viking fan)

3) Steve Young: 3 SB's (why couldn't the Vikings tackle him in 89')

4) Tom Brady: 3 SB's soon to be 4

5) Fran Tarkenton: 17 years, 3 SB's, 3rd on most records with only 3/4 as many games per year.

6) Dan Marino: 2nd on virtually every record, 1 SB, should have been more.

7) John Elway: 4 SB's, awesome arm

8) Payton Manning: All around good QB. On pace to break every record, but will likely retire beforehand.

9) Tommy Kramer: NFL record DWI's, blood alcohol.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SledNeck

• james_walleye

• PierBridge

• ozzie

The Top three are all debateable as to what position in the top three they get as its difficult to argue with records. But Joe was good as gold in SF AND KC. Brett tops Dan because Brett owns nearly all the records. But no matter how you cut it they are undoubtedly the best three.

1) Joe Montana

2) Brett Favre

3) Dan Marino

4) John Elway

5) Payton Manning

6) Tom Brady

7) Bart Starr

8) Fran Tarkenton

9) Dan Fouts

I would not include Troy Aikman on the list. If every there was a case of a QB is as good as his offensive line and RB. He is a perfect example. Better than avg, yes. But he had a career 81 passer rating. Never threw for more than 23 TDs in a season. I would even rank Favre above Aikman.

Originally Posted By: otto_man
Past; Starr, Montana, Bradshaw, Elway

Present; Favre, Brady, Manning, Romo

Romo???? Please tell me your joking, your joking, gotta be. Funny

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
I would not include Troy Aikman on the list. If every there was a case of a QB is as good as his offensive line and RB. He is a perfect example. Better than avg, yes. But he had a career 81 passer rating. Never threw for more than 23 TDs in a season. I would even rank Favre above Aikman.

No doubt!

Aikman did have a great cast around him but you can say that about every player on that team.....Irving was good cause Emmitt and Aikman or Emmmitt was good cause the line and Irving......Granted Aikman doesn't have the WOW numbers but he got the job done and was pretty successful doing it!!

Who did Aikman play with...hmmm lets see....

TE Jay Novacek- 5 time ALL PRO

RB Emmitt Smith- 8 probowls 6 times all pro. Future first ballot HOF.

FB Moose Johnston-2 time probowler.

Michael Irvin HOFer

Offensive line anchored by (possibly the best in history)....

Nate Newton 6 time probowler

Larry Allen 9 time PB. one of the best ever.

C Ray Donaldson 6 time probowler.

Mark Tunei 2 time probowler.

I would say that Troy Aikman had the best supporting cast in NFL history, am I wrong?

Lets not even get into their defense either.

But can't the same thing be said about those players? They are all on the same team and without each other they might not have been so great individually.......Emmitt/Moose/Irivn/Allen/newton played with the same guys that Aikman did....

Could and should throw Roger Staubach into the mix. Played in 4 superbowls winning two. Won the heisman while leading the Navy acadamy to a No.2 finish in the polls. Served a stint in Vietnam with the Navy before starting his NFL career.

how about jim kelly? 4 straight superbowls. that's pretty good even with out winning one

marino

elway

montana

my top three.

as for romo, if you are talking strictly present day guys, why not. he still has some more proving to do, but i think he has tons of potential.

Originally Posted By: Trainman

1) Joe Montana: 3? SB's, flawless execution in the pocket

Montana won four Super Bowls and had three Super Bowl MVP's.

I would have to agree with the others who have said that Aikman isn't in the same league as Favre, Montana, Marion, Elway, Brady, Manning. Under slightly different circumstances it may have been Steve Walsh winning all those SB's with the cast that supported Aikman.

I'd pretty much copy gopher-nation's list. However, there's some great QB's who were never on the best teams though too. Warren Moon for instance threw for by far the most yards of any pro QB when you combine his CFL and NFL numbers. He was the entire offense on more than a few years worth of teams.

Brady I'm still not 100% sure on his place in history either, he's great no doubt, but he's NEVER had to do it with anything but the very best team around him and he isn't the driving force in making it that way like I'd say an Elway was or a Montana was... He's definitely awesome, but honestly I think I'd rather have Peyton Manning to build a team around. Remember, the Colts were 3-13 when he started, he didn't inherit a Super Bowl team liek Brady did.

Thats just CRAZY Lawdog Brady has done it with almost nil talent on offense until this year.

You take Brady out of the Pats line up you would be lucky to have 1 Ring.

Brady is genuine. He won three superbowls with people who played well as a team but with modest individual talent.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
Brady is genuine. He won three superbowls with people who played well as a team but with modest individual talent.

I totaly agree with this statement.....when he stepped in for Bledsoe weren't they losing and he turned the season around to win the Super Bowl?

Moon and Kelly were also great QB's as was Staubach......but who said Romo? What has he done besides drop a snap to put his team out of the playoffs???

Talent- Montana

Arm Strength- Favre-Flutie

Accuracy- Montana

Most Fun To Watch (on field and off)- McMahon

Greatest Qb of all time... This is soo easy!!! TOm Brady no doubt... He has the td record, plus soooooooooooooo many superbowl rings!!! Can any other qb contest???

Brady never really had any superstar wr until this season. However, Brady was still able to finish with good stats with his Te's as the main receiver before lol...

Anyways, Brady led a perfect season team, has many superbowl ring, and now has the td record. He also led a team that broke the record for most points scored in a season.. Thus BRADY is the best there ever was, and the best there ever will be.. Until another Qb breaks all of these records, Brady is the BEST.

OK fellas. I can tell most of you guys are under 30. All the guys you mentioned are deserving, but how about:

Roger Staubach

Joe Namath

George Blanda

Bob Griese

Len Dawson

All proven, all Hall of Famers.

Nice hearing Len Dawson's name. I liked Broadway Joe a bunch but a truely superior quarterback needs to be a great leader and play caller, not just a passer. So my top five list would include;

Bart Starr

Bob Griese

Fran Tarkenton

Terry Bradshaw

Johnny Unitas

With a few others (Elway, Marino, Montana, etc) that could easily fit in.

Dink,

Broadway Joe made a pretty good call with his prediction of the David vs Goliath game! But I hears ya, man! Don't know if I can put Fran into the group since he never sealed the deal, put the coffee down, coffee's for closers!

Windy

ESPN posted their list of best all-time QB's today:

1. Johnny Unitas

2. Joe Montana

3. Tom Brady

4. Dan Marino

5. Peyton Manning

6. John Elway

7. Terry Bradshaw

8. Brett Favre

9. Otto Graham

10. Dan Fouts

Strongest arm:Terry Bradshaw

Most accurate: Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning

Best no-huddle quarterback:Jim Kelly

Prettiest spiral: Warren Moon

Best pocket passer: Troy Aikman

Best scrambler: Fran Tarkenton

Best running quarterback: Steve Young, Michael Vick

Best play-action fakes: Johnny Unitas, Steve DeBerg, Boomer Esiason, Peyton Manning

Fieriest leader: Norm Van Brocklin

Coolest customer: Roger Staubach

Ultimate gunslingers: Bobby Layne, Brett Favre

Most efficient: Bart Starr

Most durable: Brett Favre

Thats the stupidest list ever.

Randall Cunningham isnt even listed as best running QB.

4928 career rushing yards 35 career rushing TDs.

6.4 yards per attempt in 16 seasons.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
Thats just CRAZY Lawdog Brady has done it with almost nil talent on offense until this year.

You take Brady out of the Pats line up you would be lucky to have 1 Ring.

I never said he wasn't great, I just would be real curious to see how he was on, for instance, the Lions or the Falcons or somewhere without that group of players/coaches. They didn't have much for recievers the last couple years I agree, but they didn't win any rings then either. Brady and Bledsoe's results that year he got the team after Bledsoe got hurt weren't night and day different at all. Its not like they were junk until he "saved" them. Most good QB's would like great with all these offensive weapons and a line that almost never lets him get touched, that's all I'm saying.

Thats an arguement that could be made using any great QB, past or present. What if this guy played on this team. What if that guy didnt have this reciever.

Brady looked very below average today. Unlike Elway or Montana in the big games... Again, he's done wonders, but he's not in their league!

Cuz Favre is so clutch in the playoffs............

A little funny story. I'm in Mexico last week and i get to talking to this fella. He asked where i was from and i said Minnesota. I ask where he is from. He says "Wisconsin, you know the state that has a real pro football team". I chuckle and replied "yeah the pack has had some good teams the last decade. Its just to bad they havent had a QB that could lift his team up and get them to a superbowl." His little smile disappeared abruptly, and he changed the subject. I thought it was interesting he didnt have a comeback. Guess there really isn't one.

Originally Posted By: fishwithteeth
OK fellas. I can tell most of you guys are under 30. All the guys you mentioned are deserving, but how about:

Roger Staubach

Joe Namath

George Blanda

Bob Griese

Len Dawson

All proven, all Hall of Famers.

Joe Namath? Come on. 77 wins 108 losses. 173 TDs 220 picks. Not too great. Hes on the best all time list of being drunk on the sidelines trying to get Suzy Kolbert to sleep with him. I give him a big thumbs up for being on the Brady Bunch though

Montana (What more can you say)

Elway (always my favorite, but still a pretty distant #2)

Marino (would be higher but he had such great receivers and no SB ring)

Favre (Hate this guy, but hard to argue. Also new record holder of career INT's)

Manning (Could continue to move up, how smart is this guy??)

I would round out the top 9 for 1980+ QB's with Young, Brady, Kelly, and Aikman