• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

List your greatest quarterbacks of all time!

Hammer Handle

1) John Elway - the best quarterback in pressure situations. Until Terrell Davis, had little for RBs and WRs.

2) Joe Montana - The best quarterback brain in the game.

3) Dan Marino - great player with a poor supporting cast most of his career.

4) Otto Grahm - who? Anyone that has a record of 105-17-4 and a lifetime QB rating of 86.6 in his era had to be one heck of a player. And, he had little experince as a quarterback before he became a starter.

5) A huge tie - Bart Starr, Johnny Unitas, Sammy Baugh, and Terry Bradshaw. These players should maybe be higher too...for there were not so many rules protecting the QBs back then....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SledNeck

• james_walleye

• PierBridge

• ozzie

I'm not old school, sooooo.

P. Manning-- the best qb brain and tools.

Brady-- soon to be 4 superbowls, has been on good teams with good coaching for his entire career.

Marino-- same as prev post

Elway-- same as above

Montana-- Classic

Joe Kapp. Got the Vikings an NFL championship and is in the CFL hall of fame.

Plus, he was so much fun to watch play.

PlusPlus, He is probably the only real NFL quarterback in the greatest football movie ever "The Longest Yard."

I have a hard time putting Bradshaw in any top QB lists. The man threw 212 career TD's to 210 career INT's and had a career passer rating of 70.9. Those arent the numbers of a top 5 QB ever IMO. Joe Montana on the other hand threw 273 TD's and only 139 INT's with a QB rating of 92.3.

1. Elway

2. Marino

3. Montana

All three could go in any order

4. Brady

5. Manning

6. I suppose Favre would fit in here \:\(

1, 2, 3. Brett Favre-1 Superbowl win, 3 consecutive MVP's, 274 games started, holds the top 3 QB records (passing yards, TD's and completions)

1, 2, 3. Joe Montana-Won 4 Superbowls, 3 time Superbowl MVP and 2 time NFL MVP

1, 2, 3. John Elway-Won 2 Superbowls (went to 5), 1 time Superbowl MVP, 9 time probowler

4. Johnny Unitas-2 time NFL MVP, 10 time pro bowler (most ever for QB), first to throw for 40,000 yards in a career

5. Tough to say......Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but it is too early in their careers to tell.

This is one of those debates that will never be settled. It is all in the opinion of those making the list and what they hold important.

HOW CAN YOU PLACE BRADY ABOVE FAVRE

Look at the stats. Maybe in a few years, brady will be better then favre, but for now, no way.

1. Favre.....History shows it

2. Montana......

3. Elway

4. Brady

5. Manning

1. Manning

2. Montana

3. Favre

4. Elway

5. Unitas

6. Brady

after Sunday night maybe Favre falls back a few places

Mark

1. Peyton Manning.

Has had the best first 10 years (QBs stats) in NFL history. Probably the best combination of brains and physical tools ever. 160 straight starts (without being drugged up on pain killers). Will own all of the major passing records by the time he retires.

2. Tom Brady.

Winner. Best single season QB output in history. Was born to win big games. Doesnt know the meaning of pressure. 3 superbowls.

3. Joe Montana

Calm, accurate and a born winner. 4 superbowls.

4. Dan Marino

What an arm. He was very good for a very long time without having the best team around him for a number of seasons.

ALL TIME GREATS:

Elway, Marino, Montana, Unitas

Present time greats:

Manning, Brady, Favre

And my prediction for the GREATEST OF ALL TIME:

A tie between Manning and Brady. Manning is AMAZING. Brady is a solid QB on the greatest dynasty the NFL has ever seen.

A lot of "old school" quarterbacks are forgotten for most of us never saw them play.

Passing for 40,000 yards back then (due to shorter seasons, less protection from rules, way less pass interference calls so it was easier to cover a receiver) is like passing for 65,000 yards today.

You could argue the defensive players were smaller then, but so were the linemen protecting you.

Why is Terry Bradshaw in my top 10? He won Super Bowls...period. Well, he maybe shouldn't be there. But, Super Bowls and winning has a lot to do with it. If it didn't, Fran Tarkenton would be way up there with his stats and great seasons.

I think Favre is the most overrated quaterback of all time. Great stats, yes, but some bad stats too. Top 10 of all time? Yes. Top 5, no. Bart Starr was a better GB quarterback than him.

P. Manning and Brady will continue to climb higher and higher each year too...at the rate they are going.

If armchair quarterbacks count on this thread, than I am going to have to put my vote in for Windy City Walleye Hunter!!!

Brady actually leads his team to victory when they are suppose to win. When was the last time Favre did that? Great QB but more often is the playoff goat and not the hero. That doesnt equal the best QB ever. Most durable by far but that doesnt equal best either. Brady has 3 superbowl rings, working on #4 and a perfect 19-0 season which we've never seen before. That is why you can rank Brady ahead of Favre.

Originally Posted By: Wadinator
ALL TIME GREATS:

A tie between Manning and Brady. Manning is AMAZING. Brady is a solid QB on the greatest dynasty the NFL has ever seen.

I wouldnt call them the greatest dynasty the NFL has ever seen, yet.

The niners won 3 superbowls in a 5 year span.

The cowboys won 3 in a 4 year span.

Steelers won 4 in a six year span.

It's hard for me to say all time as I'm rather young at 35, so I'm not going to go with anyone I haven't seen play. Given that, I'll list the following in no particular order because I think anyone of them an argument could be made for who's #1, depending on who's making the point.

Brady

Manning

Montana

Marino

Elway

Favre

Though I don't think they can be mentioned as greatest of all time, two of my early year favorites were Bradshaw and Fouts.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
 Originally Posted By: Wadinator
ALL TIME GREATS:

I wouldnt call them the greatest dynasty the NFL has ever seen, yet.

The niners won 3 superbowls in a 5 year span.

The cowboys won 3 in a 4 year span.

Steelers won 4 in a six year span.

... and the Pats have won 3 of the last 6. They'll probably win 6 in 10 years (yes, that means they need to win 3 out of the next 4)

Nobody likes Aikman or Young???..they both won Superbowls...Marino-Montana-Elway-Brady-Manning-Favre......they are all good but don't ever forget number 9-Tommy Kramer!!!!

Just we are clear here the Patriots success in our modern salary cap anything can happen era is way more impressive of a dynasty than then 49's, Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins dynasty's.

1.Doug Flutie.

2.all the rest mentioned above...

Brady

Manning

Montana

Marino

Elway

Favre

I cant argue with any of these! For my era, anything before ?

Although I would add Young!

I have to say my teenage hero

Fran Tarkenton

Brett favre-because he gives it his all

Originally Posted By: ozzie
Nobody likes Aikman or Young???..they both won Superbowls...Marino-Montana-Elway-Brady-Manning-Favre......they are all good but don't ever forget number 9-Tommy Kramer!!!!

I thought of including Aikman on my list as well, but couldn't seem to do it. I did a brief stat check on the main 8 of the current era and came up with a few observations.

Though Aikman is a a HOF'er and played for 12 years and won a Super Bowl MVP, I think he often gets overshadowed by his teammates, particularily Emmit Smith and Michael Irvin. From 92-95 he was great, but he really struggled towards the end of his season, both perfomance wise and with injuries. Because of injuries and coaching inconsistencies towards the end his career his overall career numbers are average at best. He has the least amount of TDs of the 8 mentioned and only Brady trails him in Yards.

As for Young, I think the fact that he came in after Montana plays into it some. Though he was in the league for 15 years I don't think he became a starter until year 7 or 8 and had a wealth of talent at his disposal. Injuries also come into play as well as Young had just 2 season in which he played a full season. He's a Super Bowl MVP, 2x NFL MVP, and a HOF as well. Numbers wise he only ahead of Aikman and Brady for yards and TDs.

Also, and I kind of brought it up with Aikman is, to me at least, neither of these two where the face of their franchises. In Dallas, it was Emmitt Smith and the running game with that great OL. In SF it was Montana prior, not to mention Jerry Rice. The other six mentioned are pretty much the face of their respected franchises and in some cases the NFL.

I think the other six have been greatly debated and as I said in my initial post, I think a case could be made for each of them. It just depends on who is making the argument and what their criteria is.