• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marcum Flasher Improvement Thoughts

NCLaker

Question

I am a Vexilar FL-18 guy and picked up a used Marcum LX3tc so I had and extra unit and to see if I prefered it over the Vex. Some observations/wish list on the Marcum:

(1) Why don't they offer other transducer cone options for the LX3. I really like the 12 degreee mid-range transducer on my FL18. Has anyone heard if Marcum has considered this as an option, and if it would be backward compatible to their current units? This is a nice option with the vexilars. I find the 20 degree less precise and when I am in a portable I end up seeing my buddy's and my lures on my screen at the same time(very annoying). If I would have know this before I purchased the LX3, I would have spent the extra money for an LX5 or maybe gone to an FL-20.

(2) Instead of the marcum defaulting the zoom window to the top of the water column - they should have had it automatically lock on the bottom. 9x out of 10 this is what most people are zooming in on anyways. Would be a nice convinience.

(3) I think they have a somewhat prevelant problem with their LX3 quality. Had to have mine fixed due to issues with the gain (need to turn up too high to see lure). I have read many posts of people having similar issues. You should not have to turn it up past 1-2. Cudos to their customer service - they stand behind their product and repaired quickly.

(4) Would be nice to have a master shutoff on the LX3/5 so that there is now battery draw when not using for long periods.

(5) Back lighting or small light attachment would be a nice convinience when using the unit at night so I can see the buttons/setting when making adjustments.

I am still undecided on whether I like the Vexilar or Marcum better. I find the Vexilar easier to read (seem to get a lot of clutter on the bottom so it is hard to read whats what on the Marcum - blame this on the wide cone angle). But I love the Marcum's charging system and access (great design), softpack, and quieter then the Vex. If the FL20s had the adjustable zoom, I would have probably gone that route and just bought Marcum' digital charger as an add-on.

Northlander,

The Marcum fits perfect in the bucket that Kitty Litter comes in! Just stand the Marcum on end in it.

Cliff

Hey Cliff thanks a lot. I guess I never tried that. I will now for sure.

E-mail me if you have a day to hit some crappies.

My LX 5 fits in a 5 gal bucket. Just drop it in battery first.

Northlander,

I tried to use Outlook Express to e-mail you last week but I cannot get thru on it.

Anytime you want to go after crappies just call or e-mail me. I have lots of free time right now!

My brother and I kept 16 crappies and 39 sunfish on Friday.

Eimail your phone # also!

Cliff