• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thinking about a small hangun

Dahitman44

I have a number of guns, but recently got my C and C permit and am thinking about a gun to carry.

As some of you know by previous posts I have a Glock 20 that I am not a big fan of and a long barrel .357 which I like a lot.

Any thought to a small gun I could carry? I looked at a Desert Eggle that I liked a little -- any thoughts?

Thanks

Hitman

The kimber 9mm is a nice little piece that you would like. I don't know if i should give advice to a guy that has a monniker like, "Dahitman44" though, but I like the Kimbers as a rule. Light weight, nice grips and they are nicely crafted, lightweight and carry well. My .o2.

Tunrevir~

If you are serious about self defense consider a hammerless double action only revolver in 38 special. You have five or six shots without having to worry about accidently ejecting a magazine while trying to find a safety and operating it in panic mode. The double action only needs a good 9+lbs. pull on the trigger which is safer than a light trigger while the safety is off and things go bump in the night. I love my semi autos and they would be great in a combat scenerio but a small revolver can be your best bet in an up close and personnel situation. Revolvers don't stovepipe and if you have an ammo failure all that is needed is another pull of the trigger. with a small revolver you would need some trigger time to get comfortable with the weapon, but with any firearm practice is part of the deal.

I think the 380 would be a great CC gun. I would like to get one but the money plays. Do you not like glock or is it just the G10 you dont like. Otherwise i would say the G28 or i would go and get the kimber.

I must have miss-wrote -- I do not like my glock 20 -- which is a 10 mm. Maybe I just need more time to get used to it. More practice. I can't seem to shoot it very well.

Is there a reason why you guys have not suggested the small desert eagle? Looked like a nice gun.

As far as my name -- DaHitman -- It comes from my long past softball days. Long story. Seemed to be a good logo to go with it.Number 44 was my number when i retired.

No I am very serious about which gun to choose -- if anyone else has any ideas please chime in.

thanks

hit

On your G20 do you still have the stock sights? Cause i had the same problem with my G22 on not shooting very well until i went and got the triton night sights on it and now my accuracy has improved a heck of alot. Thats something you might want to consider instead of getting a new gun. Sorry i dont know anything much bout desert eagle.

.380 doesn't have enough punch to get the job done. 9's and 38's are considered lite by many as well. that's why most cops have gone to the 40

I just got a SW M&P 9mm.

Double action, composite, with 3 different grip sizes.

I hated the handle on the Glock, but I liked the lighter weight feel with the composite frame.

I held the SW M&P and tried the 3 grip sizes and it was a match to my hands perfectly.

There are a lot of great reviews on the M&P line.

They make a compact one in 9mm that might be a choice to look at for C&C.

I got mine at Cabelas on sale, used one of those $150 off a $500 purchase, and a rebate for $50 off and 2 more clips.

My final cost for the gun is under $325. \:o

Try the Glock 23 compact in a 40. this is the exact same gun that I have and i shoot a ton of rounds through. my wife also love this gun. Also alomst everyone that i know that carries or has carried for awhile uses at least a 40 cal but mostly 45's and 10mm. I like the 40 like stated before. also if anybody wants a good idea to make your pistol grip more comfortable without replacing the entire grip let me know.

I carry a colt defender, 3" 45. I know they are getting hard to find and expensive, but it make me comfortable and that is the biggest factor you should consider. Kimber has a nice line of small 1911 style also. Go to a gun shop, handle as many as you can, most will even let you try holstering so you can get a good feel. If you narrow it down, go to a range with a good selection or rentals and shoot a few. Choose the gun and caliber that you shoot well with, feels comfortable to you, and you would trust your own or your family's life with. For as much advice as you get, this is still a personal decision. Unless the gun is broken, all styles of modern handguns and quality ammunition are reliable these days. Good luck and have some fun while you are at it.

I have owned the baby eagle and sold it in favor of a Glock 23. The eagle was very prone to jaming and horibly ammo picky, only eating fedral rounds and no more than 50 at a setting.

The glock is much lighter to carry and will eat anything.

I bought a Para-Ordnance CCW which is made for carry. It is a .45 caliber LDA (Light Double Action). It has an unexposed hammer and the beavertail grip safety is bobbed so that it won't get hung-up on a shirt or jacket. The barrel is 4.25". Rear site can be adjusted for windage. Comes in stainless steel with walnut grips. It is manufactured in Canada. It shoots well, is not heavy, and a little less expensive than Colt or Kimber. So far it has been very reliable at the range. What sold me was the hammer and grip safety - if it is used to carry, the last thing you need is to have your weapon get caught in a shirt or jacket. However, I do agree with SBE, it is a personal choice. Go to the range, rent a few, shoot a friends, then make your decision. Have fun.

FWT

Fish-n-hunt

Thanks for the tip I will look into them. Are they special order or just get them at a sports store?

EXCELLENT info on this thread. EXCELLENT.

Thanks to all.

I will let you guys know what I figure out.

Thanks

Hit

Dahitman44

The sights are called Trijicon night sights. You might be able to get them at cabelas but not sure. I would just go to your local gun shop and see if they have them or can get them for you to put on.

I would highly recomend them to anyone. i have loved them from day one and the good thing is if you shoot all day and into the dusk you can still see your sights while everyone else leaves. I also did start shooting better and my patterns have been more consistant

Thanks for the info. Do you remember hod expensive they were -- can I change them or does a gunsmith have to?

Thanks

hit

SJBurnt --

What model 40 cal Glock do you have? Is it pretty small? I have never looked at that size.

hit

i believe i spent all together around $110 maybe $120. i had mine put on by a gun smith so i wouldnt mess it all up. if you do do it yourself it will be cheaper.