• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shiners?

Does anyone know if there are any available in the south metro? My buddy and I have been looking all over for them. I can only find Crappie, Fatheads and suckers.

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

No one has them. Per bait store guy I talked to on Sunday - Due to the no bait across state line, summer drought and winter kill... no one in this state has them. If you find some email me:) j/k

I know - SUX!

Bah! That was what I was hearing as well. I do hear mythical tales of them being found in places like Waconia and such, I am just not sure it's worth the drive...

essentially most of the metro and minnesota is out of them... BUT my cabin in WI has them! thats the only place i can find them... this happens almost every year... the bait stores run out of shiners mid way through the winter...

Good luck in your search

Later,

Ryan

went to a bait shop in lakeville and they were out of em' and the guy said they will not be getting any more.

Originally Posted By: SpecialK
Bah! That was what I was hearing as well. I do hear mythical tales of them being found in places like Waconia and such, I am just not sure it's worth the drive...

Cant find them in waconia!

From what I hear at Frankies and Blue Ribbon is that the DNR won't let them bring them into the state.

I got some in Prior Lake in late December. Didn't get anything on the ones I used so I dont miss them too much.

Frankies has them. Chisago for those that may not know. I believe they catch their own.

Chisago? Ah man - that is a drive from EP. But thanks for sharing.

I guess that whole state line deal is because of spiny water fleas?? I dunno for sure. I suppose I could go and check the DNR site.

I couldn't find anything on the DNR site about minnows and state lines, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Ugh, fatheads it is.

OK, I will clear this up. The reason you can not find shiners in MN is because the WI DNR will not allow minnows to cross state lines right now because of the threat of the new VHS disease found in many of the minnows. Until they know more about the disease, they are being very careful not to contaminate other lakes and bait tanks. Once they get a lot of the issues cleared up with VHS, they will take the import ban off. I am dealing with the DNR a little bit over in WI with this issue right now in my job. It sucks, but this VHS thing could possibly be very serious.

GoggleEye

Thanks for the info GE! DO you have any links that I could do more research on VHS? I would like learn to more about this.

VHS is a bad deal. Last spring when it was discovered in Wisconsin many were forecasting just this, a shortage of bait and a premium price for bait.

Have heard some are buying 5 gallons of shiners in WI and then bringing them across state lines for retail sale. Rumors only at this point.

I work at Gander Mountain in EP we have been out of shiners for about three weeks. We won't see anymore till later this year.

Pat

it has been against the law for the import of shinners in this state forover 20 years. the dnr is just enforcing the law more becuase of the diseases out there . i have been dealingwith a trapper that has been in business for over 50 years and my information comes from him .. one of the problems is the dnr uses the good shinner lakes for rearing walleyes. thus killing the lakes for trapping.. again this comes straight from my trappers mouth . so if you ever had a doubt this is some of the reasons .

now i used to purchase from another supplier and he imported them from arkansas all last year . i just checked with my trapper i may have a coupleof gallons in a week or so ,, trapped from our lakes .

fish on holdemtwice

Yeah, for the longest time most of the shiners came from AR. Then there sure weren't too many shortages, although they were still expensive.

Public waters for private industry or public waters for public fish stocking? The walleye ponds will win out every time. Private waters for bait or gamefish? That all depends on the market...You'd have to think that there would be more guys raising bait fish if there is this much demand....

Guess I might be buying more Gulp \:\)

Was out yesterday and surprisingly enough Wayzata Bait & Tackle had some Emerald Shiners, not really big ones, but the Tonka Walts seemed to like them last night!! ;\)

Davidlawfree, Depends what you are fishing for. I like to use suckers for walleyes and pike on my tip-ups. Fatheads for jigging the eyes. Crappie minnows for crappie and perch. Fatheads for trout. Also depends on the bite. Sometimes you have to upsize or downsize depending on how finicky they are.

Shucks, I was up north this weekend and ended up tossing about 10 nice shiners on the ice as I didn't want to fuss with them until I could get out again. Now it looks like I will have a tough time finding some more.

lucky seven in chisholm has lots of shiners.but i hope they dont run out of shiners on lake of the woods.gotta use the silver shiners there.