Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carp-fisher

Ice fishermen dead from apparent CO asphyxiation

10 posts in this topic

I heard this horrible story on the news:

Two Steele County men die while ice fishing in North Minn.

By WENDY REUER

Press staff writer

BAUDETTE MINN. - Two Steele County men died Saturday while ice fishing this weekend on Lake of Woods, just north of Baudette, Minn.

Daniel F. Erickson, 47, of Owatonna, and Ronald D. Dunford Sr., 53, of rural Steele County were discovered in their personal fish house at approximately 7:30 p.m. on Saturday according to the Lake of the Woods County Sheriff's Office.

The fish house was located on Lake of the Woods which is just north of Baudette. According to the Lake of the Woods County Sheriff's Office, a cause of death has not yet been determined but according to authorities, asphyxiation is suspected.

Arrangements for both men are pending with the Michaelson Funeral Home in Owatonna.

Wendy Reuer can be reached at 444-1565 or wreuer@owatonna.com.

http://www.owatonna.com/main.asp?SectionID=21&SubSectionID=44&ArticleID=31110

If your doing long days or over nights co2 detecors are pretty cheap compared to the other option. I have one i use on over nighters in my port. Had it go off once. Got my freind one for his perm it kept going off. he ended up finding the problem and it is fixed now. He says that probable saved his life cause he spends weekend in it all the time now that he has it on red lake.

My condolences go out to the families of these men.

I don't know if the shanty they were using was one of theirs or a rental. I haven't rented a fishhouse (and don't plan to in the forseeable future), but I hope all rental units have a CO monitor in them or they may be open for lawsuits!

Tragic. Definitely makes a person think twice.

It says in their personal fish house.

All my thoughts to the families. Not much more to say.... too bad.

Stayed in a rental sleeper on red this weekend had co2 detector was glad to know it was there resort owner pointed it out for us when going thu instructions for use of the house my wife heard this today and told me she wants one in my house now I'm not arguing this one.

he was my neighbor for a few years then they moved to the other side of town really nice guy. My prays go out to the family and friends.

I worked with Ron, a great guy could always get a smile out of everyone. Its a real tragedy to lose such a fun guy in this way. The house they were in was their own, they had been fishing in it all year long. It just goes to show we can never be too careful. A CO detector is a must, but don't rely solely on that, make sure you always have ventilation too. Not all CO detectors are sensitive enough. There is a pretty good post on the LOW forum about what happened and it gives a lot of info on the different levels of CO and the dangers. Be safe this weekend!

our heart felt sympathies go out to the families/