Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hhguide

Spring walleyes on pool 4

5 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has an tips or thoughts on how to fishing walleyes down on the river! I can fish them on lakes but rivers are a new area. Just wondering if people jig alot, pull raps or lindy rig? We are coming down in March or April sometime. Thanks for any thoughts.

You can vertical jig, you can drag jigs, you can pitch blades and jigs and you can three way cranks in the spring. All the above will produce fish. Pitching current seams and rip rap will produce bigger walleyes. Going vertical produces more fish but smaller size. I highly recommend you stop in at Evert's and talk to Dean Marshall. Dean always has the latest info and can equip you with whatever you need for a good trip. Rivers are a another ballgame from lakes. It's all about current breaks on the river. You might want to consider hiring a guide for the first day. Pool 4 has alot of good ones. I'd recommend Turk Gierke of Croixsippi Guide service. He fishes Pool 4 until the season opens on the St Croix.

The Wisconsin channel ramp is a pain in winter but doable. The ramps at Evert's are always in great shape. Add the advice/info Dean provides (and the occasional cookie!) and the $7 fee is a bargain in my opinion. Plus it shaves 5 minutes off a very cold boat ride if you are headed to the Y area.