• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Barrel length for new AR buyer

giwoyna5

Hey EBR owners, I have been looking at and will be purchasing a new AR when my research is complete. Ok this is what I know.. I want a DPMS .223 w/ a bull barrel. It will be used mostly for varmits(coyote, fox) and recreational shooting. For some reason I like the 16" barrel. Has anyone had one w/ a 16"? Should I go to a longer barrel? Is the accuracy that much better? I'd like something a little lighter for back country stalk and walks. Suggestions......Thanks

If you like it light don't get a bull barrel. I personally use a 20" standard (but match) barrel, I don't know personally about 16" but I would say your range will be diminished considerably.

The longer the barrel the more FPS you will create, to a certain extent. I have a 20", I have heard that 16" barrels are louder, but I haven't noticed it before when I have shot my buddies 16" colt. Bull Barrels are a lot to lug around, but I don't mind, I am carrying enough extra weight on me as it is and an extra 3 pounds doesn't make that much difference. Accuracy? a lot of that depends on you......DPMS is a major manufacturer and they put good Barrels on their rifles. Yours, like all rifles, will have a bullet weight and powder load that it absolutely loves. The fun part is figuring out which load it loves....

Get the fluted bull barrel, you will love it! My dad uses the 16" barrel and has no problem with accuracy at longer ranges.

valve, What do you mean considerably? Would a 16" be in-acurate at say 300 yds?

pbw, so on your buddies 16" colt, is he comfortable shooting at say 300+ yds.

I guess what I'm saying is with practice and a married load could I have good groups at 200-300 yds w/ a 16"? Or would they be all over the place? My rem 700 in 22-250 is a tack driver at that range, but I want an auto and my mini 14 is all over the place past a 100.

Thanks walleyes12, that's what I wanted to hear.

What barrel twist does he have?

What does he run through it for bullets and powder?

To be honest I don't know the barrel twist. I know he shoots factory loads, I think he shoots 45grain remington UMC Hollow points. The shoot considerably well for him, and he can buy them in bulk.

Yes that colt is dead on accurate with 69 gr handloads. Get the 16", you won't be disappointed in it, or a 18 or a 20 or 24. DPMS is a great company and they stand behind what they make. defiantely go with the flat top.......my twist is 1:9, I believe that is the most common AR twist rate. there is a huge difference in weight, I use shooting sticks and will drop to a knee to get better control of my rifle instead of shooting off hand, not that I can't do it.

200-300, you'll be fine with a 16" barrel. Figure minute of angle at 300 yards would be a 3" group......

I second the 16". Its a Rock River in a bull,I shoot at 400 yards in a 2" group or better, with factory loads.. About an inch on home loads. my.02

I have a friend that loads all my stuff. I do some but he has more time and has shot ARs for almost 30 years, so he has way more trigger time than me. I know they are a 52 grain hpbt, with win case. But as far as the powder load and o.a.l. gauge limit I'd have to ask.I was shooting 1" steel chickens at 400 yards with it.And them little things just fly away... I've only ever found one after I hit it, but we cut them out with a plasma from scrap steel so we are not out any money.

• 4 weeks later...

You've got to consider a few things in my opinion. What feels good to you as to weight and length as well as the twist rate. As was said earlier, some guns will shoot some loads well and others poorly. This can, though not usually change once the bbl is broken in (hopefully properly). Handloads are better than factory if done right and using the right components. You can go nuts and spin the casings and bullets to make sure they are as close to perfect as possible. In some guns, it makes a huge difference only at very long ranges and others, closer. I've got friends that shoot competition and are anal about that stuff. Lastly, temps will have some influence on the accuracy of a round. Just re-zero if you shoot after a big temp swing. Lots of good bbls out there to choose from if you don't want a factory one. Most of the big name mfgs make good bbls. As with anything, you could always get a bad one so test, test, test, but most of all, enjoy it!

Havoc, when ever you get that data, I would like to know those particulars you posted, thanks