• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bad Idea ? Fishing spot directions?

I am curious to know how you other anglers feel about posting directions to places you've caught fish in the past to help out others in their efforts to "get on some fish." And also, if you think that by doing this, it creates undo pressure on a lake/river/etc.. I am not particularly talking about "hot-bite" posts, but just telling someone a place to try out.

The reason I am asking this, is because I generally don't have any problem in helping someone out by giving these type of directions. And I wanted to know how you others feel about this..

I may change my perspective on this depending on the feedback I receive.

So, do ya feel that I, along with others who do this, are doing the wrong thing?

Note:I am posting this topic in this forum, rather than some of the others, because I generally fish this area the most.

MNsportsman, I think as long as the lake is big enough, and can sustain the extra people, and you dont mind sharing the spot with a few hundred people, no big deal. But if the lake is some small couple hundred acre lake, I wouldnt, it will get fished out in no time. Just my .002

Isnt this why ya come to the site for 1 of many reasons, for helpful advice? earlier last yr guys were givin gps cooradance to a couple of 1st timers on Mille Lacs and put them right on fish cuz they had never fished it b4.

To me it's a personal preference, I won't post the spot on spot so to speak, sometimes not even the lake. What I will do though is maybe shoot them an email, that way I know who is getting the info. If someone let's the cat out of the hat on here, I have noticed that alot of the times the bite has already been in full swing for a couple of weeks, this was a prime example on Scotch last year. I fished that lake and bite for two weeks before anyone even mentioned the lake here. I even posted about that just didnt share the lake name info as I felt that lake was too small to handle the pressure. One of the reasons I come to FM is to give and take info, but I'm really more interested in finding new ways or tactics that are working know or have worked for others. Just my 2 cents

Great subject!

Yes, I do like to give out info to help out buddies, when I have some, but I also am a bit selfish when it comes to "my" spots on a lake.

My rules when it comes to info. If I get a lead on a spot from someone I know or a buddy, or am invited to join someone. Its his info, so I don't pass it on. If he wants to tell others, fine, but its his spot, he found it. If I find a spot, I often will let a few others know about it.

Post it on a site like this? Me no. Its one thing to post a lake, but a spacific spot. There are a lot of "cyber scouter" out there. Alot more than any of us imagine.

I have a crowd magnet already built right in to my house. I don't like to turn it up any higher than it is already pre-set. hehe!

I think if the lake is 300 acreas or less I will tell A Friend If it is larger I would help somone out Via Internet.Most of the time people post stuff about a bite and it is on the down side. I just like to see were fish are being caught I rather find fish myself by looking at maps and Dnr Stocking reports.I like the challege that way......

My feeling is anybody that does any amount of fishing hears about good bites from word of mouth way before they show up on this site. Giving out a lake on here can put more people on that lake - I prefer to send a email to just 1 person instead of posting the lake. If you send me a email and ask me, I will tell you! If you ask me in a post - no way!

I think the way MNSportsman and Big Eye do. I've been criticized for using the name of a lake on here before in my reports, so I quit doing that. However, if you have any knowledge of the area, typically you can figure out the lake from my reports. Now, if I have a report in the Mille Lacs or Brainerd forum, obvioulsy, it's not too tough to figure out where I was fishing. For specifics, it's e-mail and telephone and typically that type of information is only given out to really good friends or someone I know who fishes blind-folded.

I think it is great when someone posts the name of the lake. You still have to find the fish and you still have to make them bite....I understand why you wouldn't say exactly where you were while you were slamming the eyes' or ginormous crappies, but seriously at least get me to the right lake where I have a chance! confused.gif

I agree with not saying the name of the lake on here. Info on the depths and tactics is what I am here for sometimes. Although finding fish in this area if your from here is somewhat easy if you have a couple serious fishin buddies. You can do a favor for a couple of people through e-mail. Get some info on the tactics and depths at certain times of the year and known good structure for general fish production and find them. That is really fun if you have a GPS with a Lake Master chip. Much more gratifying. Have fun!!

I really think that tactics, time of day, depth and presentation can be just as helpful as specific spots.

Remember, the sky is the limit for the potential number of people to see your post....now or anytime in the future.

I thank you all for your posts so far & it seems as though the it's been a 50/50 input so far. Here is an example to show you why I was asking the question :

I can tell ya where I was when I caught that striper(in the pic above), even tho' it was a while ago. The spot is still a good one for crappies also(that was what I was after that day.) It would be best to be looking at a lake map with these directions .

Across the lake form the Hwy 29 landing is a small "bay" (North), to the left(West) is a "point" , go around the point to the North up shore line to the third house(on land, I'm guessing a couple hundred yds.) Straight West from that house , out approx 75-100 yds. there is a sloping bottom heading west, with weeds. I was fishing in 24-28 ft. water. [That's the general area, you'll obviously have to search around.] Note: I fished there this summer & was catching wallies. Small, C&Red them, but it was action. I have fished this spot over the years & have had good luck there for crappies, gills & wallies. oh & a striper too ;\) There are a lot of other good spots on the lake, (I'm not gonna tell them all, obviously) but this spot has worked for me both summer & winter. It should get ya started.

Now ya need ta let me know if ya have any action. ;\)

I "pulled" this from:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub.../gonew/1#UNREAD

Friends, I have been fishing this lake(among the others in the area) since the 70's, & I didn't give away a whole lot as far as I'm concerned. This is only one spot of many on this lake.

[ Yes, the size of the lake helps in this instance].

But, I am still wondering if this is "too much" as far as giving out info. Please help me on this. I am very serious about changing my perspective on being the "Mn. Nice" type of fella, regarding fishing spots. I hav'nt had any trouble, or anything like that. I think I'm "undecided" on where the line is between being "nice, & helpfull" & being a stoodge for those who are too lazy to get out there & find some of these places on they're own.

[ BTW, I do not own a sonar/flasher(Vex/Marcum/etc.). These spots are ones that either were passed on to me, Or, ones I found myself, through my own ventures "out-there", over the years I've been able to explore.]

Post anything you feel comfortable with, but keep in mind that this is the web. What ever is posted is available to anyone using a search engine. The information is available for years for all to see. Just use your judgement whether the information is too specific.

It seems to be a good concept to post tactics, experiences and results and if someone is interested they can ask you to email them specifics.

This is what I recommend, on the web dont give spot on spot, to a friend or in person give out whatever you are comfortable with. But thats just my opinion.

To be totally honest, I don't want to know your spot. Now if you had a good day then time of day, weather, presentation, etc would be wonderful info as I (this is just me) feel this type of information is WAY more useful to me than your GPS coordinates.

First of all, i think it is important for everyone who is talking about lakes, or spots on lakes, to know this:

Before i signed on to this, I would look through the info on here about once a week. I would see so many crazy things that would happen when people would post lake info.. There were a few times where I would be catching fish on a lake or a spot on a lake that I found, without the help of others, and have the lake/spot relatively all to myself. Then it would get posted on here and within days there would be tons of people out there until the spot/lake would be fished out. I think anyone that gives out lake information is doing a disservice to the people who actually go out and find new waters and fish, because it indicates to the masses where the fish are biting. I have seen this time and time again. i think the only people that are saying it is OK to do this are the people who are using you and your knowledge to fill their freezer. I am not saying you should not introduce people to the outdoors and that i want it all to myself, all i am saying is that you shouldn't be giving up this hard-earned knowledge to people who you don't even know you, nor would give you their "hotspot" when asked. you look at the people who have answered your post, have they given up information on their favorite spot? I dont think so..

think about it, if every hardworking, independent fish finder gave up there information on here, there wouldnt be many hot spots left because they would all be fished out.

sorry if it came out direct, its just that this subject it has really been bothering me here for some time and i am glad someone has finally made a spot for me to express my opinion

please let me know what you think

matt

I figure a few people along the way have pointed me in the right direction a time or two so why not do the same. As far as specific spots/techniques no, that is reserved for me and who ever graces me on that particular day with their presence.

But, I do not have a problem letting people know what lake I'm on. Bait shops will let you know all the time what lake people are getting fish on.

Also, I'm a fisherman, who's to say I'm telling the truth in the first place!

Fishing and Poker...they have so much in common...

i for 1 will not give any gps coordinates to any 1.as for the little crappie spots around my place i wont give any info on that either.cause they r not the biggest lakes.now if ppl ask me about lake of the woods which i fish alot i still wont give any gps coordinates cause i dont need 100 ppl around my house drilling holes and flooding my sleeper.but i will tell them what depth has been doing good,and what i been using but each day up there can be diff.

I just had a thought so bear with me! \:\)

With the decline in recent years of fisherman and hunters alike I think we "seasoned" people can do a little more in helping make memories and letting those memories stick. Tread on this thought with caution. I think if we can help out a beginer or someone who is taking a kid or two out for the first time, then why not let them know where the honey hole is? We'd be helping make memories for a lifetime! It would also put a little more money in the DNR's future pocket through liscense sales and everything else that goes with being a responsible outdoorsman.

I know not everyone feels this way but it's my thought that if we can introduce people to the outdoors and give them a reason to come back, then we all win!

I agree I mean I am only 19 and its hard to find any of my buddies that actually want to go out or even like to fish and put some hours in on the water or ice. I think anything to help a guy with a kid or to bring any younger ones with I will show them my spots and ill tell you my spots if you have a kid with cause i will tell you what guys like i said im only 19 and its getting to the point where kids dont want to go fishing. Thanks and your right some of the best times of mine have been on the ice and water

Hey sjburnt! you going to the bash? Im still willing to give up some hot spot trades!! in the metro that is. on burntside, I havent got a clue!!

well iknow myself being raised without a father from day 1 and 9 yes 9 older sisters had no one to teach me to fish i have done alright but not that good i have asked for help on spots to get crappies at different lakes to help me and my son catch some decent fish but NO ONE as ever stepped up to help so it is discourageing when no one helps people out but we will keep plugging away

I dont have to say a word to find fish in my 2 lakes i live by people see me for days on a spot they all flock in i dont mind a dozen people around me but gets little bit much when 40 to 60 show up. that why i got to remote spots on both lakes. i head for places people dont like going into. i catch tons. people use me as the human fish locator.