Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mossy19

Update on Lake Bemidji???

16 posts in this topic

I was just curious what the latest information is on Lake Bemidji? I am coming up Friday night and will be staying in a sleeper on Saturday and Sunday. Any info. would be great! Depths, jigs, bait?? This will be my second time ice fishing this lake and the first time was not very productive. Thank you guys & gals in advance.

Chubby Darters have been doin alright sizes 3&4 have worked for me, we've also had luck on rat finkies and angel eyes. Red/Pink have been good colors for us as well. Ive fished 30' all the down to 20'... the shallower ya get its more of a flash bite out there it seems. I might be headin out there Sunday, any other questions jus pm or whatever... are you renting your sleeper??

fished Bemidji yesterday. Seems to be pretty slow, i found that in deep water a few perch are being caught.

Whats the lake travel situation now? More specific on the north side, ice, snow, roads etc. Thanks

Hooksetta16, thanks for the response. Yes I am renting a sleeper for the weekend. I believe it is out on Library bar right now (I think that's what they call it). Has the pike fishing during the day been any good?

We've been getting AT LEAST 1 pike per trip out the last week or so. Fishing has been very good on Bemidji. I know the South end over and up Library are packed with crowds, you may want to travel away from the house to get into some better bites. The perch are getting hungry...... ;\)

hooksetta, glad you're having some luck on the Darters!

As for the flash bite, like hookseta said and I mention in the other Lake Bemidji post, shallower water = flash bite at low light. Get out a little deeper for consistent day action for walleyes and perch.

I've yet to hook into any snakes out there this winter, but have heard of a few lately... class started back up and it's been tough to get out dangit! Good luck Mossy19

Matt Breuer... you know Matt Johnson from coon rapids by chance??

Yeah, Matt's a good friend of mine. You know MJ5?

Thanks for the update Matt!! I was just thinking that mid-day just throw out a couple of tip-ups and sit in the fish and enjoy some cold ones. I wouldn't mind getting into some jumbos. I know I plan on fishing in the portable in the a.m. on Saturday and then just hang out during the day in the sleeper. Good luck you all that head out this weekend and maybe we will see you on the ice!

ya I know Matty I'm from Coon Rapids but go to school up here @ BSU. He said he knew some guys up here and I thought you might be one of em'

Got back from Lake Bemidji on Sunday night. Fishing was good on Saturday morning then shut off @ about noon and then we got 3 fish from 7 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. Sunday morning. We probably caught close to 50 fish between 3 people. We brought home 14 jumbo perch, 2 walleyes and 2 pout. It was non-stop action from 7 a.m. to noon on Saturday. There were times me and the finace couldn't keep 2 lines down. We were fishing in 45 feet water. Plan on coming up again in March to do some more perchin!!

Mossy, maybe going up in a couple weeks. Were you on the north end? Just looking for ice/snow info, will be pulling a perm. Off road info.

mjgrose, yes we were on the north end of the lake. Lake travel was easy, not much snow and there is a nice road to lead you out to 45 feet of water. Ice was between 15"-17", everyone was driving out. You should have no problem getting out there. Good luck! I wish I could get up there in Feb. but the only time I will be there is on my way to Lake of the Woods. So March I will definetly be back!!!

Thanks for the info!

Fished the west side on Friday night in 30 feet and got into a few 18" Walleye on a Buckshot rattler and a minnow head. Marked a lot on the flasher but it was tough to get them to take it. sure was fun when they did.

Any reports about grassy island? I know it was a hot spot the past few years. Just wondering if anyone has pulled up any that were good keepers.