• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LOW tragedy

Local news is reporting that two anglers died this weekend at LOW in a fish house and asphyxiation is expected cause of death. Awful news to hear. Thoughts go out to anyone involved.

vented heaters are a must.

Yeah I was told about this earlier today. Was told that the 2 guys were from Owatona area. Sad to hear.

I am going to put a battery powered CO detector on the list for when we go up in March for a weekend in the sleeper. Maybe others have thought of doing this as well. If not, it is something that may help prevent a tragedy.

That is definitley sad and distressing to hear. What an absolute shame, my sympathies to these fellas families.

Man that would be a hard pill to swallow. Was it their personal house or a rental? Bill

You are correct they were from the Owatonna area. I worked with one of the gentleman. He was one of those fun loving friends that always brought a smile...it's a real shame to lose anybody to something so preventable. To answer the earlier question it was their own permanent house. Its really a reminder..be smart out there! Buy a CO detector and ventilate, seems simple but its one of the last things thought about when we're trying to get lines in the water and fish on the hook.

Keep their families in your prayers.

Just remember everyone that a CO alarm is not fool proof. Most of them on the market are set to go off at 70 parts per million after being exposed for 4 hours. But 50 ppm is lethal if exposed to for any length of time and then the alarms will not be going off. There is no for sure alarm but you do get what you pay for as well. Best thing to do is buy a high quality alarm and have your heat source tested by a Hvac contractor to ensure proper operation. Keep a window open some and be safe.

there are some co detectors out there that have a read out, i beleive they are called nighthawk. i think they run off a 9 volt battery. they will give a read out that shows how many ppm's are in the air.

ikatcher, you are correct about the Nighthawk CO detector. These gentlemen were brother-in-laws and have been fishing several times out of their house this winter. Please be careful on the ice.

I don't think there is but is there a law making resorts put co detectors in there rental house. I guessing this was not a rental but just somebodys house. To sad sorry for the family loss. As fishermen these are things we don't like to here.

Very sad news to hear. My prayers are with their families.

It's something I have concerns about with my own sleeper house. How do you ever know for sure. I have a CO detector & keep a window open a bit, but how much is enough?

Yep, very sad news...

I have a Ventless Heater in my sleeper house. I've been using it for a couple years now, and I always make sure I take extra steps to ensure my safety. It's a Big Buddy heater and is "generally" a pretty safe heater, but I also use a CO/Smoke Detector and ALWAYS have a window open to let air circulate. Besides that, my Ice House is far from being air tight!!! I have never had the CO Alarm go off while using the Big Buddy heater, but did have it go off once while using my Mr.Heater "Cooker" to make some food in the house...and it didn't take long either, so I know it works.

Window(s) Open and CO Detector are a must if using a Ventless Heater and are still a good idea with a vented furnace, atleast a CO Detector.

Unfortunately it takes something like this to make many of us think about this stuff, it's always something that "will never happen to me"!! I'm sure these guys thought the same thing...My prayers go out to the Family...

The digital Nighthawks are better than nothing but still has its fault. All UL/CSA listed CO monitors will not display ppm (parts per million) of CO under 30. They will not alarm if under 70 ppm. They will alarm if exposed to over 70 ppm for over 60 minutes. Alarm if over 150 ppm for over 10 minutes, and alarm if over 400 ppm for over 4 minutes.

- Most cites have a standard of dispatch if exposure is over 50 ppm to evacuate the home and the fire department responds. The firefighters will wear there own breathing apparatus if readings are over 25ppm.

So if your alarm is reading 69 ppm it will never go off and exposure to that level is hazardous, especially for elders and young children.

I'm not telling you this to sell anything but there is one manufacturer that is selling a CO monitor that is within 2% acurate and will alarm as soon as it reads 10 ppm. It is the best in the industry and most hvac contractors are starting to use them, and install them in homes.

- They are made by CO Experts and they have a web site that explains CO and some good safety info for all of us to read and take into consideration when were sleeping in our fish houses.

- CO Experts dot com

They sell for about $200, but considering if they warn you once of a problem then they would be well worth the money.

My career is in this industry and want everyone to be informed so we don't have this happen again- be smart, be safe.

Two Steele County men die while ice fishing in North Minn.

By WENDY REUER

Press staff writer

BAUDETTE MINN. - Two Steele County men died Saturday while ice fishing this weekend on Lake of Woods, just north of Baudette, Minn.

Daniel F. Erickson, 47, of Owatonna, and Ronald D. Dunford Sr., 53, of rural Steele County were discovered in their personal fish house at approximately 7:30 p.m. on Saturday according to the Lake of the Woods County Sheriff's Office.

The fish house was located on Lake of the Woods which is just north of Baudette. According to the Lake of the Woods County Sheriff's Office, a cause of death has not yet been determined but according to authorities, asphyxiation is suspected.

Arrangements for both men are pending with the Michaelson Funeral Home in Owatonna.

Wendy Reuer can be reached at 444-1565 or [email protected].

anyone know what kind of heater they had in the house??? just wondering if it was vented or ventless, maybe portable.

my thoughts and prayers go to the families and friends affected.

Wow very sad to hear today. Was out fishing with a close buddy to today and he mentioned it, couldnt imagine... Dang. What a loss.. I dont even know what to say about this. A hard lesson for some but never forgotten. My prayers go out to their families. God Bless all.... the Perch

yes they had a vented heater they said the north west wind that day blew the fumes back into the house.

This is a very sad story. By the way just where should a CO monitor be places in a fish house? Some say low on the wall and others say high, with others saying at eye level. Thanks all.

i have heard the same so i keep mine at eye level.i have 2 fans that blow the heat all over in my house.so i just thought eye level would be a great choice.im headed to lowes tomorrow to buy a newer 1 i'll ask the ppl there what they think.

The instructions I got with ours said to keep it away form moving air as the movement might not let the fumes make it go off.

It is tragic, my thoughts an prayer's go out to family an friends. I have a sleeper with a vent free heater an I have fans blowing air down an your intructions say to keep away from moving air. I keep a CO detector about at head level when I sleep in it but I really dont sleep very well, the best thing I do is to open windows to move fresh air through the house even if it gets slightly cool in the house. I have a 21' camper to convert for next year an I'm gonna invest in a vented heater for it. Boar