Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
troyslund

fish lake

9 posts in this topic

was on fish lake last friday for about 7hrs. out near a middle island. pulled in a nice largemouth, couple hammer hamdles, 7 crappies, 8 perch, and of course had my share of misses.. was marking tons a fish most of the day that surprisingly slowed down towards evening.. was in 12 fow and did not even think about relocating due to the wind chills.. we did drive out on the ice as did about 5 other trucks..

anyone still succesful near the dam?

tried near the dam tonight-marked quite a few fish, but couldn't entice any to take the bait.

I really had to downsize and slow down. Pink/glow ratfinkies in the small size worked best.

O.k. just curious how do you catch a bass during winter, never caught one and when I hear it in these sights I feel stupid. I have been ice fishing for more then 20 years. What em I missing?

you're missing luck! i've never deliberately tried to catch one, but have hooked into a few already this winter while fishing for crappies and walleyes.

I think catching large mouths is fluuky. I've caught 3 through the ice in 25 years of ice fishing. 2 on Bebee Lake a couple weeks ago. Two days in a row! I was shocked to say the least. And the other on Miners Lake in Ely back in 1996. I remember we fished on the north side of miners close to the shore, right in the middle of some underwater trees. We caught a few rainbows as well that day. The bass i've caught hit like the way you guys are describing how lakers hit. bobber five feet under in .5 secounds, ya know. I never caught a laker and man, they sound exciting to catch! Thinking about making coming up for the bash and giving it a go.

I have seen two bass caught this last week on Fish lake. I landed one using a swedish pimple and grubs. The other was caugh by my fishing partner two days later on a small jig head with grubs. Nothing special just going after some crappies and gills.

Hows the night bite on this lake? people getting around in vehicles well?

There seems to be a night bite from the reports I have heard out of the people going on and off of the access at High Banks Resort. Good spots to be found around Crappie Village, The Dam and a few of the islands.

There has been truck traffic out on the lake as of late. One should still choose a well traveled route. My guess is the slush should be taken care of but I would not want to be the one to find the hidden pocket in an untraveled bay or area.