• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Late Night;---

I'll tell you, for years I was plagued by the snowmobile trail that ran thru there, somehow it ended up right around the break...tough to fish eyes with sleds doin' 70 past the house.

Anyhow, I have done well along that break about a 1/3 of the way from Q.D. on the inside corner of the break (this time of year 22-26 FOW) shiners on a bobber rig nothing fantsy maybe a red hook. Don't think I have ever caught anything less than 18".

1 maybe 3 a night.

Pulled a 6#, a #5, a #4, a #8 & #10 out of there.

Not usually alot of fish from there, but one spot I have found to produce trophy's. My buddy caught the ten and I thought he was going to [PoorWordUsage] himself...I still laugh when I think of it.

Caught that one and most on a line set rattle reel.

You have about an hour or so window there, and that's it; right at sun set.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch 'em flock to that one boys! ha ha ha it's all true though, I am feeling generous tonight. Give it a whorl.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AWH

• brittman

• daddyducker

• gowhenyoucan

Its an automatic word sensor. Try..my buddy caught the ten and I thought he was going to [PoorWordUsage] himself...

Originally Posted By: Bluegill1510
Also not a muskie fan, especially if they are NOT native to the lake. IMO why put them in Gull, there are plenty of opportunities in that area of the state, Mille Lacs, Leech and Alexander are not that far really, and there is the Mississippi river! Whats another 30-45 minutes of driving when your driving from the cities anyways... I just figure I drive 45 minutes just to get to a decent panfishing lake from where I live, so its no different.

Far more people than people "from the cities" fish for muskies. What about the local folks? Imagine if all of us that walleye fished had to drive that far just to find walleyes. I think we might have WWIII! You mention that you have to drive that far just to get to a decent panfishing lake. Not sure where you live, but there's probably more decent panfishing closer than you realize. But the fact remains that there ARE panfish lakes closer. If we as anglers practiced better selective harvest, we would have more quality panfishing.

But all of these are really irrelevant points. The proposal to stock muskies in Gull is about far more than how close it is to John Doe. It's about the future health of our state's musky fishery. By creating and sustaining healthy musky fisheries, fishing for other species will not suffer.

Aaron

the whole anti-musky thought process is about equal with the original thought process originating this endless thread... Lacking in common biological sense. Let's equate muskies with evil ecosystem wrecking dragons, internet communcation among fishing brethren causing the end of good fishing in Gull...

Oh yeah, lets blame some thing on the DNR while we're at it.

Blah, blah, blah...

I'd much rather hear about fishing tips and stories than the same old illogical rants, how about you guys?

I am at this point on the fence regarding Muskies in Gull Lake.. What I would really like to see are real hard FACTS related to the impact on the fishery... Gull is a terrific walleye, bass and large Pike fishery and will continue to be for many years ahead if managed properly... I just do not know what the real impact will be introducing Muskies to this lake. Many have opinions and many are selfish opinions that are not fact based... What is of utmost importance is the impact on the fishery and not the impact on the fisherman.... hopefully all will agree with this.

I do fish Muskies periodically, live on Gull Lake and have no problem driving to another fishery like the Mississippi, Alex, Leach, etc...

I like the old saying: FACTS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS!

On another note: Sure looking forward to the upcoming warm up!!! This minus weather in the Lakes area is sure getting old....

Joel,

You absolutely hit the nail on the head!!! As fishermen, we are naturally selfish. By that I mean we tend to think of what's best for us as fishermen and don't put the fisheries first. If we are able to take a step back and look at the fishery rather than the fisherman, this is when we can get our unbiased, fact based opinions. There are plenty of facts out there. I will put together some of these facts along with sources and post them later. The DNR has been working hard lately to make these facts/studies available to the public, which should really turn the light bulb on for many.

Aaron

I agree we should put the fisheries first also. Problem is the "musky guys" will always want the muskies in Gull Lake and the "walleye guys" will (for the most part) not want them in Gull Lake. Of course the people who fish both will be split somewhere in the middle. Pretty hard to get an un-biased opinion so let's let the DNR and fisheries people figure it out and deal with it then.

I find it amusing that the guy who started this thread (SALMON) uttered just 1 half truthed opinion...not a question or a statement...and all this ruckus happens after it. He hasn't chimed in since, so my guess is he just wanted to see how much trouble he could stir up. Went from fishing pressure to muskie stocking. I say let's put this topic to bed finally.

Ditchpickle,

I agree. Let's let the DNR do their job. That's what we pay them for. It's great that they consider public opinion. But ultimately, we need to give them some rope to do what's best for our fisheries.

Aaron

Quote:
The proposal to stock muskies in Gull is about far more than how close it is to John Doe. It's about the future health of our state's musky fishery.

Yes I know this AWH, but after reading an article about a year ago on this issue from the recent public hearings that the DNR held to get a response and hear reasons for and against muskie stocking in Gull Lake from the public. Well one of the reasons that some muskie anglers that were present at the meeting (local and non local) were for the stocking of muskie in Gull was because of the lack of opportunity that the immediate Brainerd area has for fishable muskie lakes. So that is why I said what I did in my previous post about driving to Leech, Mille Lacs or Alexander (and yes I know all muskie anglers are not from the cities, I just used it as a point of reference). I know that this is just one reason and there are many others but the overall goal should be to maintain and improve the ecological state of the Gull Lake fishery, not just for walleyes but for all its NATIVE species, (northern, bass, panfish, perch, etc) and really only the DNR can study and research if muskie introduction to lakes that they are non-native too will affect the fishery positively or negatively. Which takes time, not just in months but years, and to just go about stocking them right now, this instant because its economically feasible for the Brainerd area and because some muskie guys (Brainerd local or non-local) want an immediate muskie fishery right near Brainerd without having any research on how the fish will effect the ecological status of the fishery is pretty biased and dumb in my book. Then what are you going to do about spearing if muskies get stocked? Is that going to shut down totally to on Gull, because it would be a muskie sanctuary, just like on Mille Lacs and Cass Lake& Pikes Bay, and pretty soon Leech and maybe Bemidji....

I've done my research and I do NOT blame "muskie's for eating all the walleyes" like alot of walleye guys do, for a poor walleye bite or low walleye numbers in a fishery....maybe like some muskie anglers have stated, if anglers would practice better selective harvest methods there would be better fisheries all around the state. But what alot of anglers don't realize is that the introduction of muskie's does have some effect on the fishery because your adding another predator fish to the system, where a muskie eats the same forage as a northern, and walleye. So there in lies an even more competition for food, and if that food source such as tulibee or whitefish dies off from lack of oxygen (warming water temps.) or being over harvested, such examples in Leech and Mille Lacs lake...then its just harder for all three species, and which do you think holds higher rank? Luckily there are plenty of perch, and suckers/roughfish in Minnesota lakes for these species to eat, but even they have good and bad year classes for spawning. I guess whatever happen just catching northerns, and being satisfied with them because they are natural to our state's rivers and lakes, and im sure CPR and C&R would let them grow just like a muskie.

As for where I live is in the Foley/Milaca area, and look at a state map. It takes 25-45 minutes just to get to A panfishing lake now not saying its even decent, cuz you sure don't really go south from where I live to go panfishing or for walleye. So when you live in Brainerd area just be thankful you can choose from 20-30 different lakes in a 30 minute or less drive. Trust me I lived in the Bemidji area for 5 years so it's nice to live in an area close to a number of lakes with decent fishing..

Bluegill1510,

You bring upsome decent points. But some of your points are also, I guess I'll say, misinformed. We're probably best off to take this discussion to the new post I put up on "Facts About Muskies" rather than having it get lost here in a post that wasn't even about muskies in the first place.

But to touch on your point about spearing...muskies in any new water will have NO effect on spearing. This has been spelled out very clearly by the DNR and also by groups such as Muskies, Inc.

The DNR HAS studied the effects of muskies on our waters for years. Recent proposals to stock lakes like Gull Lake are not based on emotional feedback from anglers. The DNR would be making the biggest mistake of their lives to put in a proposal to stock a lake like Gull without doing their due diligence in research. And that research is out there. They haven't done the best job in making that public up to this point. But they're working on it.

Aaron

Quote:
Then what are you going to do about spearing if muskies get stocked? Is that going to shut down totally to on Gull, because it would be a muskie sanctuary, just like on Mille Lacs and Cass Lake& Pikes Bay, and pretty soon Leech and maybe Bemidji....

Uh, just because muskies are in a lake doesn't mean that you can't spear on those lakes. Just take a look at Leech, Vermillion, Winnie, Miltona, Woman, Alexander, Shamineau, Bemidji, Plantanganette.......

I agree with whoever pointed this out earlier...how did this thread go from fishing pressure because of an internet site to bad mouthing muskies because they might be stocked in a lake?

AWH,

My point was that the "rope" you talk of giving to the "experts" is going to be biased one way or the other depending on what species you most like to fish. Your average fisherman has blinders on to the positives and negatives from the "other side" with no one having an open mind. That is why these arguements keep going in a circle. I have read your posts in the past and you have many valid points. I have also read many valid points from others against stocking muskies in Gull. The only real "fact" is that no one can say for sure what will happen if it goes through. Time will tell. For the record I don't musky fish and either way, I will deal with the decision those "experts" make based on their unbiased decision.

Yeah I guess I didn't mean to throw a curve into the whole topic...but I probably am mis informed on the stocking research, but am willing to learn and read it. I just didn't know the DNR's research is out there for muskie stocking effects.

About my point on spearing then is why is it shut off on Mille Lacs, Pikes Bay and Cass then? And talks about taking spearing off of Leech and perhaps Bemidji? Thats what I don't understand....because in a year or two I am going to take up spearing, and if lakes keep getting banned and/or more slots, then really what is the point for me to start up?

JB master angler, i've been reading posts just out of town on business for a few days. I just stated that the net, not netting, has really put pressure on a lake that hasn't had it. I've fished gull for many years, never had problems with people being on spots i like to fish, but this years been a different story. With over 1500 people viewing this post since mon. have to say that it effects a lake. Go back and look at the past year, according to the posts gull never has had a bad bite!! There always biting on gull. I don't know where all the big fish have gone, but there not in there anymore. Haven't seen anything over 10 the last couple years used to be common. Oh well life goes on time to head further north.good luck

So the DNR is watching every boat for EUA milfoil. Concerned about baitfish being moved around from lake to lake. Concerned about other invasive species ... viruses,

but then in the same breath offer to stock an invasive species (muskie) into a GULL. Gull is a strong and already diverse fishery - why mess with it.

Enough muskie lakes with in an hour of Gull. Leave it alone.

Quote:
The DNR would be making the biggest mistake of their lives to put in a proposal to stock a lake like Gull without doing their due diligence in research.

Oh and the DNR has never comprimised its research results or its beliefs under political pressure?? blush.gifblush.gif

If you talk to retired Federal and MN DNR biologists. Many will show some or significant frustration on how research is overroad by political pressure.

Unfortunately, yes, political pressure compromises a lot of the hard work of the DNR. That's why I wish that we would just allow the DNR to do their job. Believe what you will, but groups in favor of musky stocking are not trying to backdoor the DNR through political loopholes. There are those that get frustrated that wish this is what would happen. But luckily, those at the top with Muskies, Inc. and the MMA won't allow that to happen. They know that working with the DNR and not against them is in everyone's best interest.

Aaron

Salmon,Salmon,Salmon, Sorry To burst your bubble agian, but it is not the posts on the net, it is the great GPS. Also I thinks it could be your fishing. We had a 31" come out of our house this year so there still in there and so is she. Best of luck maybe you need to call a guide. I bet they know where to find the fish. By the way I am on the net and you have no idea where I fish so it can't be all that bad.

You're telling me that if your client wants to keep a limit of those 14 1/2 to 15 inch walleyes on gull you're going to say no? You're so full of it! Either that or you're not the brightest guide. I would try to build good word of mouth and put people on those males, just stay away from females and there's no problem.

Absolutely! Internet has very little impact on the number of fish being taken from a lake. Most people will not travel two hours one way to a lake just because there "biting". Even the ones that do, generally do not know the lake so they do one of two things: go in the biggest group and set up and hope or fish off by themselves and take a chance. In my opinion, they would be much better of getting to really know three lakes and concentrate on those three lakes. They will never become good fisherman by chasing reports all over nor will they be consistently successful!

Jason, we're going to see a statewide 4 fish limit very soon. I do alot of walleye fishing and when I'm hungry for a meal of eaters, I go to ANY local lake and pull out about 6 quarter pound sunnies, this size are plentiful. Bring them home, scale'em and panfry. This is still the best meal of fish you can get in Minnesota. I just don't understand why people are so fixated on keeping walleyes. Don't get me wrong, I like walleyes, I just like sunfish and perch better in the frying pan.

gowhenyoucan- I've been around these parts for quite some time, I know who the real guides are........and thats all I have to say about that. \:\)

I think this thread is just pulling all the angry, bullheaded, opinionated, "here's the problem" types out of the woodwork. Including myself...

BRITTMAN,its funny I agree with most all of your posts on Walk In land in the Pheasant Forum, but I guess I'd butt head with yours on this topic, go figure.

Maybe the public opinion debates will never be solved on the internet or anywhere for that matter, but I think the biologists should be able to make moves on biological facts and studies (which all show walleye/northern fears are unfounded here).

Lots of people like fishing lakes with great opportunities on MANY healthy fish species. Why limit it because of unfounded prejudice.

We can't really go with muskies are non Native in the arguement in a lake that has been so pressured and altered already that without "unnatural" DNR stocking help would suck. That is a the case in the majority of lakes in MN, especially the ones that only had bass and panfish prior to stocking and now have areators and walleye fry every year.

If anyone want to check if internet posts affect fishing pressure on lakes, leave your GPS coordinates the next time you find a hot spot. Write a new thread on this site with what you caught and give the latitude and longitude of that spot, then see what happens.

My guess is that if someone did that, he or she would have company the next time they visited their fishing hole.

gowhenyoucan,

If you read my hole post you would have read that our groop of guides do all we can to promote C&R. Yes we have clients that want to keep fish and we let them. But like I said before, I will not let clients keep 3 limits of fish. Am I full of it? Maby to you. You dont know me so how can you even say that? If they want a meal to eat, yes I let them. I also let them know that it is hard on the lake to keep taking limit after limit of fish out of a lake. That is why I DO NOT allow them to take the max limit. Think what you want. I DONT care what you think!!!

As far as the lower limit. Im all for it.

Slot limit, Im all for it1

It can only make the lake a better then it already is.

Duck

Realtower, i hope you are kidding, cause if not something is wrong. Gps doesn't do much good if you don't have a lake to use it on, read what lake is hot THEN you can use your electronics to find them. Don't need a guide, could care less were you fish just another clown on the lake. If there wasn't a gps, you think that no one would fish the lake after reading post after post of how many fish are being caught out there, c'mon.